PDA

View Full Version : This is what we are up against

janderson
17th July 2013, 07:22 PM
In my experience it is the 2wd vehicles that mostly get bogged. Seen it all too often and pulled many out. Something like this is not a problem to a well setup 4wd. Going by the photo there’s plenty of trees to winch of with minimal to nil damage to the track. The damage is done by 2wd’s spinning their wheels trying to get out. Then when they have dug a deep hole and belly out there vehicles the 4wd or tractor people are called upon to get them out. This is what does the damage because they did the wrong thing trying to get out themself, the wrong way. (Should not have been there in a 2wd in the 1st place) The tracks up this way (Murray River area) normally have a hard base that a 4wd can drive slowly though without even spinning the wheels. But all this doesn’t matter because it’s the 4wd people that get all the blame. Peter Mitchell himself states that he only has a 2wd and is not happy about the state of the tracks. Why is he in there in a 2wd when its wet then, how many times has he had to be recovered because his vehicle is not built for off road use. How dose ne know the tractor did in fact recover a 4wd anyway.
http://www.mmg.com.au/local-news/echuca/residents-despair-at-ripped-up-tracks-1.53864

NissanGQ4.2
17th July 2013, 07:59 PM
Probably cars going in there 2 dump rubbish!

taslucas
17th July 2013, 08:00 PM
those ruts look exactly like the kind of rut made by jet pilots in big 4wds. Those ruts look way too big and deep to be made by a 2wd vehicle. It happens everywhere, guys on a bit of a piss trip ripping up the landscape, a lot of the time they're not bogged but just roosting the mud for fun, and roosting mud is fun but wrecking tracks is not.........

P4trol
17th July 2013, 08:34 PM
I'm guessing he is a walker only, and wouldn't mind banning all vehicles.

It must have been boggy if a tractor was needed to pull out a 4wd. Tractors usually have good traction.

janderson
17th July 2013, 08:37 PM
those ruts look exactly like the kind of rut made by jet pilots in big 4wds. Those ruts look way too big and deep to be made by a 2wd vehicle. It happens everywhere, guys on a bit of a piss trip ripping up the landscape, a lot of the time they're not bogged but just roosting the mud for fun, and roosting mud is fun but wrecking tracks is not.........

they were made by a tractor doing the recovery

trekster
17th July 2013, 08:38 PM
Heaven help if I ever catch someone dumping rubbish when I'm out driving, I'll club them into a new tomorrow......

taslucas
17th July 2013, 08:47 PM
bloody oath it must be soft if your saying there were no ruts before the tractor went in! It was soft enough for a 4wd to get bogged (thats pretty soft) and even if that 4wd had winched out by itself i reckon there'd still be a big mess left.
That is very soft looking ground and it doesnt only take spinning wheels to degrade a track. Simply the weight of vehicles will start a depression that then starts to hold water and slowly becomes a rut.
From the moment a track is made, it starts to degrade and how quickly depends on type of soil, amount of use, type of use (or misuse).

janderson
17th July 2013, 08:54 PM
bloody oath it must be soft if your saying there were no ruts before the tractor went in! It was soft enough for a 4wd to get bogged (thats pretty soft) and even if that 4wd had winched out by itself i reckon there'd still be a big mess left.
That is very soft looking ground and it doesnt only take spinning wheels to degrade a track. Simply the weight of vehicles will start a depression that then starts to hold water and slowly becomes a rut.
From the moment a track is made, it starts to degrade and how quickly depends on type of soil, amount of use, type of use (or misuse).

I live on the Murray, it looks soft but hard base at the bottom. Also we haven't had much rain up here anyway.

taslucas
17th July 2013, 09:02 PM
well it must have been soft enough to dig trenches? theres also a lot of water in those ruts?

paulyg
17th July 2013, 09:03 PM
Ever watched one of those 4wd action dvds? ripping up tracks is all the ever do, then the people watching recon if its good enough for Roothy it's good enough for them
Then the 4wd action crew complain about the tracks being closed.

taslucas
17th July 2013, 09:08 PM
Ever watched one of those 4wd action dvds? ripping up tracks is all the ever do, then the people watching recon if its good enough for Roothy it's good enough for them
Then the 4wd action crew complain about the tracks being closed.

and not just complain, they rant about it

janderson
17th July 2013, 09:20 PM
and yes we have deep ruts, and long trenchers, some up to 3 feet deep. but they have been there for 10 years that I know off. I drive these track all the time, never been bogged. The newer wet holes normally only have 2 deep spots, side by side and size of a smaller tyre that would mean 2wd's. It's also the 2wd's that make new track around water spots on the tracks.

mudnut
17th July 2013, 09:34 PM
Heaven help if I ever catch someone dumping rubbish when I'm out driving, I'll club them into a new tomorrow......

On the way home, earlier this year, I have followed a bloke out of town with a trailer loaded with all sorts of plant waste, and who- knows- what stashed underneath. The tip is the opposite direction. He panicked and went like a shot down a dead end road. I dearly wished I had the time to sit there and wait for him, to come back. His license plate was non-existent on the trailer and obscured on the car. I'm not into dobbing, but these mongrels have turned our local forest into a tip.

taslucas
17th July 2013, 09:37 PM
On the way home, earlier this year, I have followed a bloke out of town with a trailer loaded with all sorts of plant waste, and who- knows- what stashed underneath. The tip is the opposite direction. He panicked and went like a shot down a dead end road. I dearly wished I had the time to sit there and wait for him, to come back. His license plate was non-existent on the trailer and obscured on the car. I'm not into dobbing, but these mongrels have turned our local forest into a tip.

Rubbish is bad enough but dumping plant waste is so much worse. Spreading those damn noxious weeds should be made a criminal offense!

FanTapstic!

TPC
17th July 2013, 11:32 PM

I would dob on someone for dumping rubbish in a heart beat, pisses me off big time seeing rubbish dumped on dirt roads and tracks and the culprits need to be dealt with.

megatexture
18th July 2013, 12:57 AM
I don't understand, they said the ruts in the pic were caused by a tractor going back and forth recovering a 4wd. So where was the 4by stuck as the rest in the pic is flat, not something you would get bogged in.

MEGOMONSTER
18th July 2013, 06:16 AM
I don't understand, they said the ruts in the pic were caused by a tractor going back and forth recovering a 4wd. So where was the 4by stuck as the rest in the pic is flat, not something you would get bogged in.

I think the old man us trying to say, that whilst the tractor was out recovering vehicles, then went through the ruts back and forth, purposely deepening them.

MEGOMONSTER
18th July 2013, 07:13 AM
Also, I may have contributed in some way. The Banyule forest is inside the city of Echuca. Only a couple minutes drive from the main drag. Forest is all flat and the only fun is the ruts of water and mud.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=13533

threedogs
18th July 2013, 09:01 AM
@ Janderson know exactly what you mean as you know I go to your neck of the woods all the time, plenty of times camped over Morgans beach
we get drunks staggering into camp asking for a tow, One was a local in a one ton holden belly up on the levee bank the other was a dual cab Lux with a driver with
no idea how to drive. charged them both a slab of cans and towed them out. Up your way I believe all the rubbish and track degradation is from Locals not your town but the big one further south.
The amount of shite ppl leave behind astounds me no end. Heard on another thread the other day about someone throwing hand brakies, how does that help the 4x4 cause in Vic trying to keep tracks open. take rego numbers, times and pictures, rid the forest of these scum .This really gets my goat up, apologies to Gloria, lol

janderson
18th July 2013, 05:13 PM
@ Janderson know exactly what you mean as you know I go to your neck of the woods all the time, plenty of times camped over Morgans beach
we get drunks staggering into camp asking for a tow, One was a local in a one ton holden belly up on the levee bank the other was a dual cab Lux with a driver with
no idea how to drive. charged them both a slab of cans and towed them out. Up your way I believe all the rubbish and track degradation is from Locals not your town but the big one further south.
The amount of shite ppl leave behind astounds me no end. Heard on another thread the other day about someone throwing hand brakies, how does that help the 4x4 cause in Vic trying to keep tracks open. take rego numbers, times and pictures, rid the forest of these scum .This really gets my goat up, apologies to Gloria, lol

Threedogs, Know what you mean. I have recovered that many 2wd’s that think they are 4x4 rally cars, and mostly locals. Even been rang at 3am. I don’t help any more. If I do go out I now charge them. If I have to use my recovery gear I charge extra. I can’t believe how many go 4x4ing without equipment. On one of my wood runs I popped a spring out of the hanger on the trailer. Had to unload 2.5 cubic meters of wood to fix. This was one time I had no tools with me. Five 4x4 drove past; every one of them said they had no tools. Even the ute with a tool box and crowbar in the tray. So I unhooked the trailer left lyn on the track and drove the 40km home to get some tools. She even had other people drive past that did not even stop to see if she was alright. But were not happy because the trailer was blocking most of the track. Ok rant over, sorry.

Cuppa
19th July 2013, 11:33 AM
This really gets my goat up, apologies to Gloria, lol

Accepted! :)

megatexture
19th July 2013, 06:12 PM
I think the old man us trying to say, that whilst the tractor was out recovering vehicles, then went through the ruts back and forth, purposely deepening them.

That part I know...but if those tracks are from the tractor where was the forby stuck ...... If that rut was created by the tractor after the forby was stuck wtf was the 4x4 stuck on its all flat!

Ben-e-boy
19th July 2013, 06:42 PM
That part I know...but if those tracks are from the tractor where was the forby stuck ...... If that rut was created by the tractor after the forby was stuck wtf was the 4x4 stuck on its all flat!

most likely a Toyota.

threedogs
19th July 2013, 06:56 PM
That Hilux I mentioned with the clueless driver didn't even have water up to his rims.
As you say it makes you wonder that's for sure
Watching ET fishing adventures they now advertise Quad bikes, no mention of private property.
Happy to drop donuts and drive off defined tracks, Clowns or Poons you pick.
BTW I will DOB no place for clowns in 4x4ing