PDA

View Full Version : RD28 v TD42 fuel consumption

Drewboyaus
17th July 2013, 07:07 PM
A mate of mine is on the hunt for a decent off road rig that could be driven as a daily.
He's been looking at a couple of GQ's and was curious as to the difference in fuel consumption between the RD28 and TD42 (turbo'd). Does anyone have any real world comparisons?
I'm also interested to know if there are any members looking to sell their rig. Budget is somewhere between 10 and 15K depending on what the condition is like.
It will be used for off road duties but needs to be clean enough to park near the CEO's car in the car park (if you know what I mean).
Cheers
Drew.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

nissannewby
17th July 2013, 07:09 PM
Fuel consumption is very similar between the two. With a budget like that I wouldn't even bother looking at a 2.8.

Drewboyaus
17th July 2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks Matt.
I suggested if he was looking at 2.8's he'd be looking at 2.8 GU's for that money.

nissannewby
17th July 2013, 07:36 PM
Yeah the gu will be more comfortable than a q and will have a few more creature comforts than a 4.2 GQ.

Drewboyaus
17th July 2013, 07:43 PM
Yeah the gu will be more comfortable than a q and will have a few more creature comforts than a 4.2 GQ.

Are there any major drawbacks to the GU 2.8 that you can think of? They can be tuned up a bit with a chip as I recall so might be a bit less of a slug.....

nissannewby
17th July 2013, 07:53 PM
Only the heads. Apart from being slow they aren't a bad thing. As with anything look for something with a good service history that has been looked after well and continue to do so once bought.

Drewboyaus
17th July 2013, 08:01 PM
What's the go with the heads?

nissannewby
17th July 2013, 08:15 PM
They tend to crack if they have gotten warm at some stage. Generally once they have been replaced they are all good. I think they are an alloy head hence why they don't deal with overheating very well.

rkinsey
17th July 2013, 09:08 PM
Parts and spares for the GQ RD28T's can be a little difficult at times to get a hold of as most main stream vendors only supply the TD42 range and GU 2.8, 3.0L units. Even getting a snorkel kit took me 6 months to find and only Safari do them. No other vendor or manufacturer does them. Yes you can easily DIY a lot of accessories and adapt other parts for them.

In the power department, even in the condition mine is in (needs a motor rebuild, fuel pump and injector service) I didnt feel that there wasnt enough power. OK, it wont do 15s on the quarter mile but put it into low range and it went through quite a few terrains and angles that I would have trouble walking on a good day.

Fuel consumption: I consistently got 13 to 14 Lt per 100 km on the highway towing a fully loaded trailer with camping gear for a week for the four of us. Around town I got 14 to 15 Lt per 100 Km. After I do the rebuild and service I would assume that those figures would drop fractionally to around 12s on the Highway to 15 around town.

Depending on the type of terrain your mate wants to drive and the towing he needs to do, the 4.2 might be a bit better in handling the workload over the 2.8.

Cheers,

Rob