PDA

View Full Version : gu patrol ute 2012 leaf springs and firestone air bags

alfonso
17th July 2013, 11:29 AM
I have the stock springs that come with the ute. Have installed firestone bellow type airbags as my weight fluctuates constantly. The bottom brackets for the bellows didn't fit over the u bolts on the axle properly they couldn't move far enough in to make them line up so I used the elongated holes so that I could get another 15mm out of them which the instructions say not to do I gave them a good torque down and installed. The bolt holding the bottom bracket now sits on top of the u bolt so it shouldn't move anyway hope this is ok any info would be greatly appreciated .Also my stock leaf springs have always squeaked when they go on the dirt it drives me mad until I clean them when I get back. The top two leafs have a gap in them is this normal? ill try to get some photos and post them later. Is there a cure for the squeak Thanks in advance Alf ps when they did the underbody rust proof before I bought the car they sprayed the leafs with the same stuff its the rubber tar type stuff could the problem be this

june
17th July 2013, 01:55 PM
my thought on the squeaky springs is being leaf springs all the leafs rub together as friction or the rubber bushes at the end of springs are dry or worn out. try some lanoline spray on the leafs and rubbers. with the bellows I would do what the instructions say as they are engineered to fit that way for safety reason

kevin07
18th July 2013, 12:13 AM
using air bags with leaf springs can be a hazard to your chassis google bent ute chassis or something like that

alfonso
18th July 2013, 02:14 PM
lots of research done on the bent chassis. In my opinion most or all the bent chassis had one or more of these redeeming features
1 dual cab with longer than standard tray
2 loaded with extra weight for camping more than standard tare
3 trying to use bags as lifters
4 using bags as replacement for ailing springs [old springs
5 loading tray and then attaching camper for off road driving [imagine downward pressure on ball as you go over ruts or corrugations pivoting on those airbags]
6 I have none of the issues above exept for minor overloading maybe all mine will be used for is to adjust ride height to level when laden ie stop my ass dragging thanks for the input