PDA

View Full Version : 1991 gq patrol disc brake hub seals and bearing. Cannot remember order. Help!

EllenTiley
15th July 2013, 02:31 PM
Hey guys, I need help.I have a shit memory and I can't remember which order the seals went on for the hubs. I think I stuffed up. There's no seal at the front closest to the free wheeling switch (for lack of a better word) is there? Both of the seals including the one with the spring go at the rear together, don't they? I distinctly remember removing the spring but when I was repacking it with the outer seal I couldn't manage to make the two of them fit.

The one with the spring is smaller than the one I have already repacked (both pictured).

Col.T
15th July 2013, 07:21 PM
G'day Ellen and welcome to nut city.
My GQ was about 4 or 5 years ago and being an old fart, my memorie's cactus too but for the life of me, after serviceng the front bearings for about 10 or 15 years I can't remember TWO seals in the inside.
The bearings just drop into the hub/rotor assembly (no need to split those normally) and one stiff rubber seal with a spiral spring included goes in after.
I can't work out what you've got even after looking at the pics.. Be absolutely blown away if the one seal had split into two. Just couldn't believe that.
Don't suppose you've dismantled the whole axle assembly into the Birfield joint (C.V. joint) and missed a part on reassembly? There's a seal inside the knuckle spindle but that's not part of the wheel bearing assembly (I think).
Your set up is not an aftermarket unit is it? With that pattern around the perimeter it looks a bit different to what I remember. Shouldn't imagine that would be different anyway but it's possible and if it is, got no idea.
With luck, one of the clever members will set you straight.
Good luck
Col

nissannewby
15th July 2013, 07:34 PM
The seal you have in your hand in the first picture goes on the inner part of the spindle where the CV joint is.

Col.T
16th July 2013, 10:19 AM
Newby,
thought that was it, but my memory is about as reliable as the rest of me
Col