PDA

View Full Version : What is a reasonable warm up time for my RD28? And turbo timers? (Rookie)

Mattonpatrol
14th July 2013, 12:48 PM
This may seem like a real silly question to most but this is my first time owning a turbo patrol, & herd they need a good warm up... just wondering what is a reasonable warm up time for it? especially in the cold mornings and even just an average day? or what are some signs that the truck will make when warm etc? Im also looking into getting a turbo timer for her, im from Sydney area, and if anyone has some suggestions a somewhere to get one at a decent price... hit me up!?

Keep it dark, Keep it real

threedogs
14th July 2013, 12:55 PM
My first TD too I just start check all is good put on belt , then drive easy until temps rise to normal,
Shutting down I just check EGT guage and shut it off, HWY driving I'll leave it idling for roadside pitstops or similar.
But not a fan of turbo timer, Maybe a petrol Drift car, But you'll never get your diesel hot enough IMO.
Save your money and put it towards a front locker or Snorkel, or what was next on your list

P4trol
14th July 2013, 01:03 PM
I'll start it off.

In general, your 2.8 will sound/feel rough when it is cold. As it warms it will go smoother and the boost less 'laggy'.

My 2.8 doesn't like too much idling - it seems to 'gum up' with too much.

You can use the 'heat' button to the right side of the ignition.

Me personally, I take it easy for the first few kms. Try to keep the revs below 2000rpm then change up (except for 4th, I get up to 80/90kmh. I do have the liberty of taking my time getting up to speed on the highway though.

On the other side, there is a school of thought that turbo timers are a not worth the effort, unless they can be hooked somehow to egt temperatures. I would suggest fitting an egt guage and use that as a guide when you switch off. A search on the forum will let you know what people consider an ok temp to cut the engine at.

ben 4.2td
15th July 2013, 05:07 AM
I think the owner manual says warm the engine for 30 secs, oils theses days are very thin. I haven't got a turbo timer on my current 4.2 td, but had one on my landcruiser and found it dangerous at time, especially when you turn the engine off and forget about timer and leave it in gear, nearly knocked the house down and crashed into numerous cars in parking lots. I find it alot easier not having a timer in my current patrol, usually let the engine run for about 20 secs everytime I stop, or not at all when driving around town.

trekster
15th July 2013, 06:52 AM
My 2.8 I idle for 20-30 seconds then drive the sucker taking it easy for a little bit until I get some temperature reading on the water gauge.

Mattonpatrol
15th July 2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks a lot for all your all reply's and advice.... Thinking now instead of turbo timer might put it towards a snorkel..... and im also going to be doing my EGR block and butterfly removal too, what are a coupla other easy or good mods like these to do?

trekster
15th July 2013, 08:48 PM
Butterfly removal is very easy, Best things for the good old RD28 include 3" exhaust, block egr, remove butterfly, egt/boost gauges

then up the boost a little :D