PDA

View Full Version : Pin hole leak in Intercooler a major problem?

Shaun 4x4
13th July 2013, 07:50 PM
I am in the process of cleaning everything I can to get all the oil residue out.

I've taken my Intercooler out and filled it with degreaser on
Y to find a small pin hole leak.

Is this a major problem or can I get away with it till I can afford a new one?

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd483/Shaun0305/Nissan%20Patrol%20GU%20ST/20130713_165657.jpg

Regards

Shaun

paulyg
13th July 2013, 08:20 PM
I would not leave like that it will only get worse, get your self some epoxy putty from an auto store and use that to seal the hole, should last till you can get it fixed properly.

Shaun 4x4
13th July 2013, 08:53 PM
Epoxy putty you say.
Ok will go tomorrow.
Thanks for that

Squalo
14th July 2013, 03:02 AM
Agreed, and well done on discovering the leak. Degrease thoroughly before you apply the epoxy.

Unfortunately, leaks in factory intercoolers are relatively common, and usually only noticed once they've become extensive enough to degrade performance.

threedogs
14th July 2013, 08:30 AM
Make sure all is dry before re-installing, Diesel Smart do a change over fully tigged for under $400,
pressure tested to 60 psi
33% bigger
and 5 year warranty
No I don't work for them but happy as because I have one, big difference.
If you have NADS fitted it will be doing nothing but epoxy will stop leak for a little while.
Hope epoxy fumes doesn't make the MAF play up.
Have you tried tightening the end caps at all????

Shaun 4x4
14th July 2013, 10:40 AM
I don't have nads installed but am working on it, that's what this whole exercise is about :)
Getting it all clean then putting the kit on.

How do I tighten the end caps? Also how would that stop the leak?

Shaun 4x4
14th July 2013, 10:53 AM
Make sure all is dry before re-installing, Diesel Smart do a change over fully tigged for under $400,
pressure tested to 60 psi
33% bigger
and 5 year warranty
No I don't work for them but happy as because I have one, big difference.
If you have NADS fitted it will be doing nothing but epoxy will stop leak for a little while.
Hope epoxy fumes doesn't make the MAF play up.
Have you tried tightening the end caps at all????

I sent diesel smart an inquiry on there change over intercoolers aslwell as there upgraded performance ones.
Might be worth spending the little extra when I have the cash?

threedogs
14th July 2013, 01:17 PM
Just looking at the way they clamp is it possible to place on a edge of say steel bench and with a flat steel drift tat those fingers lightly to give a bit more pressure.
Only just noticed water on IC squirting out, crimp it slightly then some epoxy.

see how those "FINGERS" seem to hold tank on, even gently crimp harder with large multi grips.
It all takes time and Money so plan your mods, example no point fitting Dawes with IC leaking.
Once done it will transform your Patrol and wonder why you never did it earlier. You're getting there, PM Mudski when your ready for DAWES / NEEDLE valve
Don't forget catch can

Shaun 4x4
14th July 2013, 01:36 PM
Just looking at the way they clamp is it possible to place on a edge of say steel bench and with a flat steel drift tat those fingers lightly to give a bit more pressure.
Only just noticed water on IC squirting out, crimp it slightly then some epoxy.

see how those "FINGERS" seem to hold tank on, even gently crimp harder with large multi grips.
It all takes time and Money so plan your mods, example no point fitting Dawes with IC leaking.
Once done it will transform your Patrol and wonder why you never did it earlier. You're getting there, PM Mudski when your ready for DAWES / NEEDLE valve
Don't forget catch can

It's hard to see from the pic but that leak isn't coming from where the fingers grab the tank. The leak is a little pin hole in one of the center cores. Yer I have already bought a Dawes of mudski along with the egr blocker. Waiting on him to get stock of the needle valve still.
I also have a catch can. A provent 200, I'm installing that today along with my nicely cleaned throttle body and ic.

Once I have the new ic and needle valve think I will take a long weekend and fit everything else :)

threedogs
14th July 2013, 01:48 PM
Like with normal radiators out bush you would just clamp shut that core both ends so nothing can escape, well that and
some kneed it or similar, but only a short term fix, Did you order an IC ?

Shaun 4x4
14th July 2013, 01:56 PM
Like with normal radiators out bush you would just clamp shut that core both ends so nothing can escape, well that and
some kneed it or similar, but only a short term fix, Did you order an IC ?

Yer once my spare car get home gonna go get some metal epoxy putty.

At this stage I've sent them an enquiry on there two ic, I will get one but need to wait for my tax return to come through.

Do you know much about there performance ones with the fan already on them?
Rough price and are they worth the extra coin?

Sir Roofy
14th July 2013, 05:39 PM
Personally mate i wouldnt worry to much about a fan on the i/c once you get into 4l out in the bush
you,ll have enough torque to keep your temps down

threedogs
14th July 2013, 05:43 PM
X 2 put any spare coin towards a locker

Shaun 4x4
14th July 2013, 06:51 PM
Personally mate i wouldnt worry to much about a fan on the i/c once you get into 4l out in the bush
you,ll have enough torque to keep your temps down

Tourque to keep temps?
Is this due to the engine not working as hard in 4l?

Shaun 4x4
14th July 2013, 06:52 PM
X 2 put any spare coin towards a locker

Yer i would like to get a locker or 2 :) and some reduction gears

paulyg
14th July 2013, 07:28 PM
Don't worry to much about fans on intercoolers don't recon they do much.
Seems like you have a plan for what you want to do with your rig anyway,
Starting with cleaning then nads seems like a very good idea, getting the reliability and performance issues out of the way first,
Then as you get the coin you can get all the fun stuff.