PDA

View Full Version : Radiators

Parksy
12th July 2013, 01:01 PM
Have had enough of the cheap Chinese crap that they call a radiator. I'm on the 2nd one which was happily replaced under warranty because the 1st one died, but the 2nd is slowly starting to leak as well. The 2nd time around I correctly earthed the radiator, gave it a coat of black paint and used alloy radiator specific coolant, and it didn't even last as long as the first one. I checked the electrolysis voltage and it was well within limits to cause any damage. They are just sh!t and to be avoided at all costs!
So now on the market for a new radiator. What does everyone recommend? I'll probably go back to brass/copper radiators, but I'm not keen on spending an arm and a leg on one.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this one?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-Manual-GQ-4-2L-Petrol-Radiator-TB42-Heavy-Duty-Copper-Core-/400369089839?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3APatrol&hash=item5d37db7d2f&_uhb=1

Or am I just going to run into troubles again with this one? Thanks all for reading.

Andy

threedogs
12th July 2013, 01:08 PM
Desert Coolers are Aussie mob in Melb Give big Norm a Buzz.
He'll do you a soldered solid copper number , no idea of prices.
PWR do an Alloy one as well, up there in price I think, But check first

nissannewby
12th July 2013, 01:17 PM
Is it an alloy radiator? Why did you earth it? I have an adrad unit but it cost me $1150. The one you have linked looks ok and should be better than a Chinese one. I always find sticking to brands like PWR, Aussie desert cooler, adrad etc with radiators pays off in the long run.

Parksy
12th July 2013, 01:57 PM
Cheers guys, might see what desert coolers are priced. Yes alloy radiator. I bonded it because there was abit of resistance between the radiator and block, causing excessive electrolysis, so I'm led to believe.
Here's a pic of what happened to the first one. If you look where the tubes connect to the side tanks, it's leaking.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/7058BDCB-2038-4247-99DC-B4183F8710C2-4916-000003AFA7FEFC4B.jpg

threedogs
12th July 2013, 02:39 PM
seeing you're changing did you upgrade to bigger or leave it as OE size

Parksy
12th July 2013, 07:03 PM
This one is bigger. It's a 3 core and does a very good job of cooling. Just doesnt like holding the fluid.

Col.T
12th July 2013, 07:26 PM
G'day Parksy,
the mob you've mentioned seem to have a pretty good record don't they.
Assuming they got that by NOT selling crap products, you'd be inclined to have a go. Certainly their price is pretty good.
Can you ask them how long they've been selling this particular unit ? May give a better idea of reliability.
Good luck
Col

macca
12th July 2013, 07:32 PM
Parksy, I had Taree Radiators replace mine, give Larry or his son Brendon a call on 0265510888.

He is a straight shooter and might be able to help you out.

Mine is a 2 core but they are 25mm wide? something about a stronger design.

All French to me but he assures me this is the one for what I am doing.

Tell him he did Macca's Patrol recently, he will know what's good or not.

It cost me $737 fitted, he will freight as he sell shrouds to modders etc

Not sure if he's open on Saturdays.

Parksy
13th July 2013, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I found this one which says its a adrad radiator, looks similar to the first one I linked, though could be wrong. And the price is perfect.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-GQ-Y60-88-97-PETROL-MANUAL-RADIATOR-ADRAD-HIGH-QUALITY-/221059563578?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33782d403a&_uhb=1
I applied for a quote from Aussie cooler with their online quote tool but never heard back from them. But what experiences do people have with adrad units?