PDA

View Full Version : TB42 carb blooding

Dirk Diggler
7th July 2013, 03:08 PM
Hey guys..
I'm in need of some advice about my TB42.

Never had a problem with it until close to home the other night from work.. I could feel it start to run rough, cough splutter etc and when I pulled up to see what was going on I noticed that the carby had filled completely with fuel..

A friend had suggested the float might have sunk? Could this be the case? And is this easy to get to/remove and repair?

Cheers guys

threedogs
7th July 2013, 03:19 PM
Is it dual fuel ???

Dirk Diggler
7th July 2013, 03:52 PM
Sorry, no, petrol only :)

threedogs
7th July 2013, 03:58 PM
I've heard many ppl change floats over to solid ones as a backfire etc may cause the float to implode.
Wouldn't think a big job, some carbie cleaner, new gasket O'haul kit, workshop manual

mudnut
7th July 2013, 04:00 PM
It could be as simple as bit of crap stuck in the needle and seat.

Dirk Diggler
7th July 2013, 04:04 PM
It could be as simple as bit of crap stuck in the needle and seat.

I'm plenty comfortable to work on efi systems but carbies scare me a little haha.. Is cleaning these an easy job to do??

GQ TANK
7th July 2013, 04:10 PM
A carby kit is not heard to do -

Take a heap of photos before you pull the carby apart - handy when you are putting it back together.

When you do it - lay newspaper out - so that you will catch any loose bits

To flood its either the needle / seat, or the float stack

Dirk Diggler
7th July 2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys! I'll start pulling the carby off and get stuck into it :)

mudnut
7th July 2013, 04:26 PM
Good, someone with more experience has beaten me to the punch.

Dirk Diggler
7th July 2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the advice lads! I pulled off the tophat on the carby, appears that the float may have been stuck down, it didn't move around too freely on it's pin. Fixed that, cleaned the needle and seat, cleaned out some debris from the float bowl and all is well..
Let it idle for 15 mins, then took it for a run down the road and back, seems all good. Seems I've got some more power too! Something obviously wasn't right

Cheers! :)