PDA

View Full Version : Is this load bearing... waiting for Daz

Bloodyaussie
7th July 2013, 01:19 PM
Ok waiting for Daz but he is away but for now will get the opinions of others on here..

This is a Video from in the roof and still need to upload the Video from the kitchen so you can see from below.

I need to know if it is safe to knock down this wall???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIR1CddrOmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tU5o0mwNiQ

threedogs
7th July 2013, 01:23 PM
Says video is private, Easy enough to work out if load bearing or not.

Bloodyaussie
7th July 2013, 04:24 PM
Sorry made public now...!!!! added the Video from below also.

Cuppa
7th July 2013, 04:36 PM
Wait for Daz's opinion ....... But doesn't look load bearing to me.

Cuppa

threedogs
7th July 2013, 04:40 PM
Just been boxed in hasn't it as a "feature" arch

menace 2
7th July 2013, 05:52 PM
it will be load bearing mate..your outside kitchen wall and the outside loungeroom wall are also load bearing running parallel with it....lift up some of your insulation and have a look on top of the wall you want to take out...you might find that the ceiling joists going at right angles to it just could be overlapped past each other because of the span from outside of your lounge room to outside wall of your kitchen...either way if they have spanned that distance with ceiling joists ...you can get away with removing it by just putting another hanger in the roof to take the ceiling joists...the arch wall is only a nib wall..can you give us a better look to the left to be sure which way the ceiling joists are running.(inside the roof)..but they will normally always run across the house ...would also be good to see more of above where you were filming at the roof...it looks to me like you were under a hip of the roof from the ridge beam at the end of the house

menace 2
7th July 2013, 06:12 PM
just looked at the video again...looks like the ceilng joists maybe running with the length of the house in that section ??...there is a hanger near the eave holding them up I think ?..you will also need to see what the props holding up the hanger for the rafters is onto ...any way your ceiling joists for the kitchen are onto the one above the wall so you will have to support it anyway...cheers

Bloodyaussie
7th July 2013, 06:26 PM
Cheers mate most of it is Greek to me and I will get George to translate... he he!!

We can go with a standard kitchen but as the benches are 450mm and we are going with 600mm benches it is going to be like a ships galley??

My idea to open up the space and put a larger kitchen in and have it open with the lounge area will have to be shelved as I am not up for bracing up walls as this will be our rental property in 2 years and we will move to a much larger house...

Would have been nice to do but oh well!!!

krbrooking
7th July 2013, 08:19 PM
Like menace2 said I also think it will be load bearing man, how much of a prob will it be to keep that side of the kitchen the 450 deep and have the rest of it at the 600, it is definitely possible to do so.

Bloodyaussie
8th July 2013, 09:29 AM
I think the house would look heaps better but now Mags is talking about selling this house so wants to keep things simple???

I dont know ................ either way I will pull some parts of the kitchen that are not needed as I have finished the pantry enough to move all the food??? I'm learning!!!

93patrol
8th July 2013, 12:57 PM
On your video see where the props this photo31378 the 2 square timbers heading upwards. They sit on your kitchen wall you won't be able to remove that wall unless you put a lintel of some kind in either under those props/struts or under the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

93patrol
8th July 2013, 01:09 PM
Double post

MudRunnerTD
8th July 2013, 02:12 PM
On your video see where the props this photo31378 the 2 square timbers heading upwards. They sit on your kitchen wall you won't be able to remove that wall unless you put a lintel of some kind in either under those props/struts or under the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Sorry Jonathan. Working on the GUIV mate. It's broken :(

Looking at your video I think you have the wall in the wrong spot mate. For sure 93patrol is correct. Your 2 purlin Props will go down and be sitting on top of that wall. No question!

If you were to just take the arch out then no dramas mate but if its the long wall between the kitchen and lounge it's a bigger deal.

A few options. Easiest would be an exposed beam to replace the wall below cieling height. Second would be another hanging beam in the roof space in line with that wall and support the joists from above (hence "Hanging Beam") but you'd need to move the purlin props too. Not that big a deal but necessary mate.

Let me sort out my GUIV bud and I will give you a call later. Going to get it assessed now mate

threedogs
8th July 2013, 02:43 PM
@ BA go grab that huge piece of Oregon off Mark before I do, dress it up would make great exposed beam,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,your welcome lol