PDA

View Full Version : G'day About to buy cab/chassis Telstra Pod

rafa
7th July 2013, 09:34 AM
Hi all

I am in Darwin and spend ,most of my weeks driving out to remote communities, I deliver various training packages. I have thought long and hard about what to buy and have settled on 08 Patrol 3.0 with a Telstra Pod on the back, it seems if I am right that there are a lot mods done for me. I am looking for a low KM one and have seen this one http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/item/-/details/CP-06-08--Nissan--Patrol--GU-6-MY08-DX--Cab-Chassis-Single-Cab--3-Seats--2-Doors/602104014

I read with interest Cuppas build, I do not intend camping in it, just need to ensure the back is dust proof.

I am looking forward to getting to know you all a little better as I find and modify mine!

It will be used on Harsh roads so any last min advice welcome before I buy next week.

Marty

PS it seems some of the PODS are Rosscos and some are some other make? either better than the other?

AB
7th July 2013, 09:59 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

You may get a better response by asking questions in a different section as a lot of people don't read the introductions.

threedogs
7th July 2013, 10:02 AM
Hi and welcome .
Plenty of info here on mods for your pod, being a cab /chassis
you may need to brace the rear shock towers as GU utes are prone to
chassis cracking. Superior engineering have a bolt on kit I think.
Jump in anytime and enjoy. Early days so have a search a see what you can find.

growler2058
7th July 2013, 10:04 AM
G'day! Welcome aboard shiploads of good info here.

Sent by dealing with motorcrap

Dhuck
7th July 2013, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

MEGOMONSTER
7th July 2013, 11:32 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

fracster
7th July 2013, 12:26 PM
Howdo Rafa.

Cuppa
7th July 2013, 01:38 PM
Hi all

I am in Darwin and spend ,most of my weeks driving out to remote communities, I deliver various training packages. I have thought long and hard about what to buy and have settled on 08 Patrol 3.0 with a Telstra Pod on the back, it seems if I am right that there are a lot mods done for me. I am looking for a low KM one and have seen this one http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/item/-/details/CP-06-08--Nissan--Patrol--GU-6-MY08-DX--Cab-Chassis-Single-Cab--3-Seats--2-Doors/602104014

I read with interest Cuppas build, I do not intend camping in it, just need to ensure the back is dust proof.

I am looking forward to getting to know you all a little better as I find and modify mine!

It will be used on Harsh roads so any last min advice welcome before I buy next week.

Marty

PS it seems some of the PODS are Rosscos and some are some other make? either better than the other?

Hi Marty,
The pod on that vehicle is an Obeico, not a Rosscos. Very similar, but doors may differ slightly, & the rear spare wheel holders are different (& may need minor modification if you want to run wider tyres).

It seems to have all the goodies except for a dual battery system which some have.

Condition seem commensurate with the use it's had. mine had plenty of stone chipping.

My only concern is that it's being sold at auction. I bought mine from Orix who lease them to Telstra & then sell them when the time comes. Not sure if it's true but I was told that Orix sell the better ones direct, & send any that may be a bit 'iffy' to auction. Could have just been salesman talk, but I'd advise a good inspection, & for the auction price to take into account the 'risk'. I also had an independent pre purchase inspection done which cost me $120 & saved me a couple of thousand in things that were then rectified before I purchased. As Orix also function as a 2nd hand dealer I got a warranty, which saw a few more things fixed at their cost (without drama) in the weeks following purchase.

I would also want to know why that vehicle only has a partial service history. Mine had a full history, & I was even able to check with the workshop (Kittles in Alice) to flesh out a bit more from the Telstra records prior to purchase. Being of a suspicious nature I would also want to know why at such a relatively young age & low mileage it is being sold unregistered.

Mine had obviously had quite a hard life. Not long before Telstra 'decommisioned' it had a complete new front diff fitted. 'Your' one needs a good inspection by someone who knows what they are looking at I reckon.

Good luck, & let the head stay in control of the heart. If you don't get this one, more will come up.

Cuppa

Cuppa
7th July 2013, 01:45 PM
Oh, & I think the shock mount strengthening is something more pertinent the vehicles with rear coils, not the leaf models like this. That said, I believe it is common for the Telstra patrols to have an extra strengthening plate welded onto the chassis rails just in front of the leaf mounts.

Timmo
10th July 2013, 10:26 PM
Yay another member from Darwin, Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy.

Please also put your details in the members map and when ya ready also in the emergency info area for when I get stuck.........

which is nearly every time.

any way welcome to the forum and let me know when ya get ya truck.......

rafa
22nd July 2013, 11:46 PM
ok, sorry for the late replies, I have done it, spent a little more and bought a 4.2, still ex telstra but a roscoes. I will start a thread with the strip and re build, thanks for all the help

Marty
Darwin NT

MEGOMONSTER
23rd July 2013, 12:17 AM
ok, sorry for the late replies, I have done it, spent a little more and bought a 4.2, still ex telstra but a roscoes. I will start a thread with the strip and re build, thanks for all the help

Marty
Darwin NT

Can't wait to see it Marty.

Cuppa
23rd July 2013, 08:52 AM
Yay! Another podologist & with a 4.2 to boot!
Don't forget the initiation rite of shorting out the dipstick on the positive battery terminal as you pull it out! Gets the heart pumping well!

Looking forward to seeing what you've got & what you do to it.

Has it had other owner(s) since leaving Telstra's ownership or has it been in their hands right through?

If you feel comfortable saying, I'd be interested to know what sort of money you paid for an '02 with 180,000 Kms.

Cuppa