PDA

View Full Version : Shifting from 2H to 4H with no clutch on the fly with front Auto Lokka

AB
6th July 2013, 09:38 AM
Hey blokes, I've been doing this ever since I got the Lokka put in and it all seems nice and smooth but I'm after any advice if this could be causing any long term issues or not?

I know you can do it without clutching on the standard set up but what are your thoughts with the lokka engaging on the fly without clutching?

It seems to work brilliant but just curious if it could cause any long term issues?

Bloodyaussie
6th July 2013, 09:41 AM
Wish I had a LOKKA?????

mudski
6th July 2013, 09:43 AM
Wish I had a LOKKA?????
Bahahahahaha!!!!! I pick mine up today....:Yahoo!:

TBH. I didn't even know you could shift from 2H to 4H whilst moving...

threedogs
6th July 2013, 09:48 AM
Can't see any problems going up in gears ,But I would stop to change down gears

Winnie
6th July 2013, 09:51 AM
Can't see any problems going up in gears ,But I would stop to change down gears

Did you even read the first post?

Trying to use Motorculture

Clunk
6th July 2013, 10:03 AM
Didn't know you needed to depress clutch to change from 2H to 4H, I always thought this could be done on the fly any way.
Don't know about the looks cos I don't have one.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Motorculture mobile app

threedogs
6th July 2013, 10:18 AM
X 2 with Clunk if you time it right no probs
@ Winnie yes did read first post thankyou
Other 4x4 , Auto lokka for 200,000K with no probs shifting from 2wd to 4wd on the move
only removed to fit a Pro Locker, prefer to push button "pitoo"

growler2058
6th July 2013, 10:19 AM
As soon as your front hubs are locked in the loKKa is engaged so to to speak they are always in the locked position (until turning etc etc etc) so really can't see an issue with it

growler2058
6th July 2013, 10:21 AM
Wish I had a LOKKA?????

You really should get one you'll love it ;)

AB
6th July 2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks blokes, didn't think it would be an issue just checking.

When your driving all day on the tracks It's great to throw it in 2H on the fly to make it easier to drive on the simple areas, throw it in 4H on the fly for slightly harder stuff and then obviously stop to change to Low for difficult spots.

AB
6th July 2013, 12:49 PM
Also blokes I just got informed that people with auto hubs shouldn't try it - they'll run the gauntlet of damage. Can be done at low speed, but as I understand it, any higher and it'll potentially strip hubs, diff gears or worse.

Clunk
6th July 2013, 12:59 PM
As far as I understand, if you're running an auto locker youve got to change to manual hubs anyway

Tapping on the Tab via MC

growler2058
6th July 2013, 01:28 PM
As far as I understand, if you're running an auto locker youve got to change to manual hubs anyway

Tapping on the Tab via MC

Same ^^^^.

BigRAWesty
6th July 2013, 02:12 PM
It should be all good aslong as your not drifting and inner front is spinning slower than the outer one.. :p

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Col.T
11th July 2013, 07:29 PM
G'day fellas,
this is a bit late and as I don't have lockers may be irrelevant.
My current wagon is an ex. Highways Dept. and was used out bush by a roads inspector.
I'm having intermittent trouble with the auto locked 4WD. It slips into a part 4wd engagement without me touching the selector. There have been a few threads on this.
I believe it is because the auto has been relied on at all times, many, many, many times and there's an inherent weakness in either design or materials.
Although it's a total p.i.t.a. I've gone back to the old system of getting out and manually locking the b*****ds.
Probably clutching at straws. Dunno
Col