PDA

View Full Version : A mate wants to buy a ute

89gqpatrol4x4
5th July 2013, 07:12 PM
My mate from work wants to buy a ute and I have talked him into a patrol, now the only thing is for the same money around 25 -30 he has two choices the 4.2 or the 3.0. The 4.2 is 2003-2006 and the 3.0 is 2008-2010. He doesn't tow anything and this will be his first 4x4 so what are peoples thoughts and why so I can pass it on. Thanks

Ben-e-boy
5th July 2013, 07:25 PM
No choise IMO.....4.2 ALLTHE WAY

89gqpatrol4x4
5th July 2013, 07:28 PM
No choise IMO.....4.2 ALLTHE WAY

My opinion exactly but I need to convince him!

Winnie
5th July 2013, 07:28 PM
That 3L will be a nice car no doubt about it. But as Benny said, there is simply no walking past the 4.2!

nissannewby
5th July 2013, 07:35 PM
Ill take him for a drive in mine after he has driven the 3.0 equivalent :)

Ben-e-boy
5th July 2013, 07:37 PM

Or mine after we bolt the new turbo on :D

89gqpatrol4x4
5th July 2013, 07:38 PM

that's not fair!

AB
5th July 2013, 07:45 PM

And then he can drive my work car gu 3 litre to compare. It's just painful to drive...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

nissannewby
5th July 2013, 07:45 PM
Well if he gets one for 25k he could spend 2k on it to upgrade the turbo and bobs your aunty :)

nissannewby
5th July 2013, 07:47 PM
Or mine after we bolt the new turbo on :D

Yes that would certainly cement a 4.2 in his mind.

growler2058
5th July 2013, 07:50 PM

nissannewby
5th July 2013, 07:57 PM
Bloke staying next door to us just bought a bag of dope from a dude on the beach................

Wrong thread maybe..............

89gqpatrol4x4
5th July 2013, 07:59 PM
ha ha WHAT THE!!!!!

AB
5th July 2013, 08:01 PM
Classic!!!!!

growler2058
5th July 2013, 08:02 PM
Hahahahahahahaha wrong thread can a mod that's not a dufus move for me

Cuppa
5th July 2013, 08:11 PM
Depends what he likes.
I've only ever driven a 4.2. I bought it because my preference is for a motor with a reputation for keeping on keeping on, & that is relaxed to drive. Have always preferred larger understressed motors. However the 3.0's do seem to to have zippier initial acceleration & will pull away from the lights faster. I'm led to believe that an exhaust & a little tweak to the 4.2 can even that difference up without over stressing the motor though.

It seems that those who love the off road stuff generally prefer the 4.2 for it's available torque at lower revs. Once up to speed on the road the 4.2 easily holds speeds above the speed limit. I believe the 3.0 is a bit more economical on fuel though. Also on cost I'm not sure what the service intervals are on the 3.0's, but I suspect it's more modern technology may allow for longer intervals. The 4.2 costs around $130 for oil & filters (oil & fuel) every 5000kms. However the older technology of the 4.2’s is, IMHO one of it's strengths, & the main reason I chose one in the first place. Much less electrickery/computer stuff to let you down in the middle of Woop Woop.

Finally the 4.2's continue to sell for high prices, which is good if you have one, but less so if you want to buy one. Whilst they continue to hold their value because of demand, sooner or later this situation has to change. At the moment though Nissan show no sign of bringing in any vehicle which might attract those who currently prefer the 4.2, but I suppose another manufacture might at some point, but until then 4.2's will continue to hold their prices.

Cuppa

Ben-e-boy
5th July 2013, 08:49 PM
Depends what he likes.
I've only ever driven a 4.2. I bought it because my preference is for a motor with a reputation for keeping on keeping on, & that is relaxed to drive. Have always preferred larger understressed motors. However the 3.0's do seem to to have zippier initial acceleration & will pull away from the lights faster. I'm led to believe that an exhaust & a little tweak to the 4.2 can even that difference up without over stressing the motor though.

It seems that those who love the off road stuff generally prefer the 4.2 for it's available torque at lower revs. Once up to speed on the road the 4.2 easily holds speeds above the speed limit. I believe the 3.0 is a bit more economical on fuel though. Also on cost I'm not sure what the service intervals are on the 3.0's, but I suspect it's more modern technology may allow for longer intervals. The 4.2 costs around $130 for oil & filters (oil & fuel) every 5000kms. However the older technology of the 4.2’s is, IMHO one of it's strengths, & the main reason I chose one in the first place. Much less electrickery/computer stuff to let you down in the middle of Woop Woop.

Finally the 4.2's continue to sell for high prices, which is good if you have one, but less so if you want to buy one. Whilst they continue to hold their value because of demand, sooner or later this situation has to change. At the moment though Nissan show no sign of bringing in any vehicle which might attract those who currently prefer the 4.2, but I suppose another manufacture might at some point, but until then 4.2's will continue to hold their prices.

Cuppa

I would disagree with the fuel efficiency comment, after reading many threads on this forum over time, the fuel economy of a regular 4.2 to a regular 3.0 is much the same,

Cuppa
5th July 2013, 09:03 PM
I would disagree with the fuel efficiency comment, after reading many threads on this forum over time, the fuel economy of a regular 4.2 to a regular 3.0 is much the same,

That's why I said "I believe" rather than "It is", because I wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification. How about service intervals/cost?

Cuppa

nissannewby
5th July 2013, 10:57 PM
Service costs would be similar as well. A key factor in this would be the extra load on the smaller engine plus the cost of replacement parts for a CRD over the ole TD42 in respect to things like injectors and fuel pumps.