PDA

View Full Version : Getting intercooler welded up in Melbourne

oddkid82
5th July 2013, 11:00 AM
Hey guys
My intercooler is starting to leak and was wondering if anyone knows of a place I get it welded up in Melbourne preferably in the eastern suburbs, what cost would I be looking at?

threedogs
5th July 2013, 12:02 PM
No idea of cost but can't beat Diesel Smart on price for a changeover.
Fully tigged ,30%, plus warranty, Highly recommend, check Vendors.
I've just fitted one and very impressed

oddkid82
5th July 2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks td will get in contact. Looks good mate

threedogs
5th July 2013, 05:13 PM
No probs can really feel difference. that's supposed to mean 30% bigger btw.
be wary as some just re varnish the inside to seal them

mudski
6th July 2013, 12:50 AM
You honestly think it was worth the coin John? Worth as in and difference in performance and/ or EGT's? Even though they are cheaper, the Deisel Smart ones. Was it worth the upgrade?

nissannewby
6th July 2013, 12:56 AM
There is no point in fitting a tig'ed cooler unless you put a larger core in it, you will also need to accompany it with a scoop that works better than the factory one. So after all that it starts to add up. Has anyone frount mounted a 3.0 or water-air?

threedogs
6th July 2013, 10:04 AM
@ Mudski yes I do think its worth it, with the larger scoop EGTs remain more stable now, even only 30% bigger helps .
Plus I don't have to worry about it leaking for 5 years.
Whats the point adjusting Dawes with a leaking IC?. Yes I'm happy and tested to 60 psi not 20 like some.
You Know the Prices of cores cause like me you've been looking for a while as well.
Diesel Smart has the best money for value IC on Ebay, IMO

@ Newby haven't heard of any front mounted IC 3lts down here,
will ask at some of the more Fabricating style shops in my travels

mudski
6th July 2013, 02:56 PM
Why not run both? :) Front and top mount. Hehe. TD, the IC is the only thing left I can do to the lil' 30. Other than changing to a TD42t.

P4trol
6th July 2013, 03:03 PM
I reckon leaving the top mount installed when adding a front mount would only negate the advantage of the front mounts' position (ie not being on top of the engine. It would add heat, not take extra away.

mudski
6th July 2013, 03:06 PM
How? Other than restricting air flow to the radiator and having longer intake hoses I could only see it being a positive. But I'm no expert on this. Or anything for the matter.

threedogs
6th July 2013, 03:47 PM
Lets face it Mark we have both come to the end of the line in terms of what we can do to the motor.
I'm not after speed I want efficiency, for touring with maybe better engine longevity and even an extra
k or 2 per ltr. Not sure if dropping a 4.2 is the way to go. I definitely wont be changing just for the sake of it.
I'm happy as it still drives like new will sit on 110kph with minimum revs and return 12.8 around town and 15 towing my Tub Trailer.
Way too much trouble with converted 4x4s, been there done that. Don't want to get rid of it either as I love the ride, though I would like it softer
but that's not gunna happen. Nah Cant fault it, EGT are down and now stable, no limp mode thanks to Boots and Forum. Yep happy Patrol camper.
Better pop over to happy thread LOL

mudski
6th July 2013, 04:45 PM
I hear ya mate. I just love the TD42's though. Next mod on my list is my head lights, then I will be saving for a TD42t.

P4trol
6th July 2013, 05:51 PM
How? Other than restricting air flow to the radiator and having longer intake hoses I could only see it being a positive. But I'm no expert on this. Or anything for the matter.

Neither am I.

The amount of heat soak into the top mount is huge. Unless you are travelling along, it is gathering heat instead of transferring it. It's just in the worst possible position to transfer heat out of the air from the turbo.

My thought was that it would add heat to the air that the superior front mount had cooled.

Need to get myself a laser thermometer.

mudski
6th July 2013, 06:21 PM
I would probably matter more where you live P4trol.
Down here in freezing bloody cold Melbourne the engine doesn't get time to heat up. But yeah thermal heat radiating from the engine would be an issue at low speeds.

Limmy
12th July 2013, 09:25 PM
I got a quote from AUS4WD. They quoted around $650 to have intercooler rewelded . They in Bayswater .

pooroll
13th July 2013, 10:07 AM
i got my original intercooler welded by a back yarder thats a qualified sheetie for cash to the tune of $150. so at his workshop he said they would of charged me $350. not a bad saving and just as good a job......

threedogs
13th July 2013, 12:04 PM
$350 to weld an intercooler thats hwy robbery at its best'
I just brought a change over one for less than $400.
pressure tested to 60 psi, did you get that in your $350
33% bigger ,did you get that in your $350
And heres the big one 5 year warranty
did you get that for your $350
I know who I'd recommend and that's Diesel Smart
I have no connection with them, check vendor thread for them.
But if you're happy that's all that matters

Coldcomfort
13th July 2013, 05:27 PM
http://www.supercarperformance.com.au/intercoolers.php

Just out of curiosity... Why is this not avaiable for the common rail diesels??

I have no intention of modifying my 3.0. I intend to keep it totally stock and sell it after 3 years of use and install the 6.5 litr V8 option (Brunswick Diesel unless there is a better option?)

threedogs
13th July 2013, 05:41 PM
They probably need one to start the change over process That's why mine was first Direct injection.
Give them a call sure they are willing to have the common rail IC on the shelf as well.