PDA

View Full Version : Loud clunking noise !

trolling
3rd July 2013, 08:49 PM
Hey guys, i have a very loud clunking noise in the front right wheel region. it happens when turning left. only when turning and in 2 wheel drive.

have checked wheel bearings and shocks/coils. all fine

have reed it could be worn body mounts/ radius arm bushes? any ideas would be much appreciated as its really annoying and sounds very bad.
cheers

Drewboyaus
3rd July 2013, 09:18 PM
I thought the Clunking noise was the sound of your thread being hijacked.....

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Cuppa
4th July 2013, 09:14 AM
I'm not posting to assist, just to see if I can get the warm glow of satisfaction which comes with being right once someone who knows what they are talking about comes along with suggestions! ;) (So don't take my advice!)

I had a 4wd quad bike which basically did the same thing, although come to think of it, it was constant 4wd, but the problem there was a shot cv joint on one of the front axles.

Cuppa

trolling
4th July 2013, 06:29 PM
yeah cheers for the info but it happens in 2wd and so therefor the front cv's arent in use. as far as i no :/

Limmy
4th July 2013, 06:59 PM
get some grease and grease up any points where there is contact when you turn

MudRunnerTD
4th July 2013, 07:45 PM
Yep Tie rod end, panard rod bush, radius arm bush.

BigRAWesty
4th July 2013, 07:55 PM
Radius arm bolts.. put my left nut on it..
Hopefully its not to bad and hasn't flogged the mount out

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Dhuck
4th July 2013, 08:00 PM
Not that I have posted to this sort of thread in a very long time. But MR pretty much summed it up apart from shock bush's. Best to jack up one side at a time and give the wheel a wobble side to side (hands at a quarter to three) and see if there is any movement and then up and down (hands at twelve thirty) to check wheel and pivot bearings. Hope this helps a little.

But how funny is it. I don't see patrols come in at work but plenty of the other brand for similar issues.

trolling
4th July 2013, 08:56 PM
Cheers guys. Had a look today took preety much everything off i could, radius arms panhard rods ect
everything was fine except one bush was a bit average on radius arm, and also none of the bolts i took off where super tight either :/
put everything back tightly and the noise has stopped. So either something was loose or the radius arm bushes will need replacing if it happens again. will wait and see :)

BigRAWesty
4th July 2013, 09:51 PM
If it happens again jump under the car with a mate jumping on the bull bar.. and then feel around for the clunk..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Clunk
4th July 2013, 10:22 PM
Hey man, I'm a human being you know. I'm not something you can cop a feel of when you feel like it! ;):D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Motorculture mobile app