PDA

View Full Version : Warn 9.5XP Winch??

Coogs
3rd July 2013, 03:30 PM
I'm considering installing a Warn 9.5XP winch with 30m x 9.5mm Spydura rope and need some help with feedback from members who have same or similar units. Will be purchased and installed by ARB Darwin. Will be fitted to ARB winch bar attached to 2009 Patrol CRD Wagon (GVM upgrade to 3330kg) towing a camper trailer (1500kg). Also getting ARB 9T Snatch Block & maybe winch extension strap. Have been told that 'Urethaneing' the motor is advantageous. Would like to have opinions on the above. I already have Maxtracks, exh jack, shovel, compressor, rated shackles and rated points.
Note: the above is motivated by an unpleasant extraction on Dampier Peninsula that stung me $1300.00c because some (read most) drivers are to lazy to lower tyre pressures and speed.
Sorry, but that's my bitch for the day! Appreciate some help here!

threedogs
3rd July 2013, 03:45 PM
I've never heard that term can I/we get a bit more detail
I have the warn xp 9.5.

And yes it is frustrating when others hold you up, or wreck the track
Tread lightly I say.

FNQGU
3rd July 2013, 04:47 PM
Sounds a bit like a waterproofing spray for the motor? Not sure either.

The XP is a good winch, can't fault it yet. Re the spydura rope - If I had mine new again I would fit a nice long protective sheath on the business end of the winch rope for extra protection. It can start to fray a little and get some crush damage as well. Just wind it in carefully those last few feet. Lots of info around re looking after the winch rope.

MudRunnerTD
3rd July 2013, 05:12 PM
Probably the best low mount winch on the market.

A tree truck protector, at least 1 but maybe 2 winch extension straps. A second snatch block is a winner to mate for when the going gets tough a trie line pull will pull you and probably your trailer if you had to ;). Unhooking your trailer would be better though and recover it second if your stuck hard.

Install an Extended breather to the 6hp motor and your on a winner

Dave n xanths gu
3rd July 2013, 08:21 PM
I'm interested in the "urethaning" bit... I've had a xd9000 std on patrol bullbar die due to being mounted upside down n now my 8 month old xdc9.5 fitted by arb shit itself due to river crossing!!! Not happy arb told me the new one is heaps better design n user friendly (wank wank) 2500 later I've got the ducks nuts of winches mounted to my truck that can't get wet... Surely a design fault... Nowhere in the warranty, owners manual or sales pitch was i told it cant get wet... Also want sheath to protect rope... Good idea Ben...

Drewboyaus
3rd July 2013, 09:32 PM
The Warns are great winches but I have to say that for the money you pay for them, I can't believe they aren't sealed properly and have breather points pre installed in the gearbox and motor....
Some cheaper winches are already doing this.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

MudRunnerTD
3rd July 2013, 10:11 PM
I'm interested in the "urethaning" bit... I've had a xd9000 std on patrol bullbar die due to being mounted upside down n now my 8 month old xdc9.5 fitted by arb shit itself due to river crossing!!! Not happy arb told me the new one is heaps better design n user friendly (wank wank) 2500 later I've got the ducks nuts of winches mounted to my truck that can't get wet... Surely a design fault... Nowhere in the warranty, owners manual or sales pitch was i told it cant get wet... Also want sheath to protect rope... Good idea Ben...

Did you get your old winches back mate? Would certainly be worth stripping them down and rebirthing them! Not hard to doo and save / make some coin maybe!

threedogs
4th July 2013, 08:28 AM
But still need info on urethaning the bit, what have you been told ???

nissannewby
4th July 2013, 01:51 PM
It's just like 04OFF did with his winch, he used POR15. It will be just a brush on or dip coating to help seal the unit and prevent corrosion.

threedogs
4th July 2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks Matt awesome stuff that POR15., great for diffs and chassis's too

Coogs
29th July 2013, 11:35 AM
Firstly, thanks for the input & comments which have helped a lot. Have decided to get Warn 12000lb with synthetic rope & block. The URETHANE coating is to internal parts and linings and is to prolong service intervals. It's not a cure in itself. ARB Darwin have been 'urethaning winches for Police and emergency service vehicles in Nth Territory for five years. Basically for vehicles in outback conditions that can not get regular servicing. Have been outback myself which is why this reply is bit late.

threedogs
29th July 2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks did you need your winch this time???
Instead of POR15 which is awesome stuff, wonder if there is a rubber brush on product for the same purpose.
So do you just mask each side of say end cap and paint on POR15