PDA

View Full Version : what are the 2.8L GU engines like?

Mattonpatrol
2nd July 2013, 09:48 PM
I just previously owned the 4.5L petrol engine, and am now currently looking to purchase a turbo deisel Simpy for the fuel consumption reason lol.. Im still looking hard to find the TD42, but they arnt to easy to find these days at my price range :(

Im just wondering what the 2.8L motors are like in terms of reliability? or has anyone one had bad experiences with them? and if there are things i should know about them? and later on down the track i would like to do some mods to the motor, and wondering if they are good motors to work on too?
P.S. is there a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder with the 2.8L model?? and whats the difference?
I have alot of questions to ask i know, but keen on finding a good one ;)
Thank you all!!

mudski
2nd July 2013, 10:02 PM
2.8L is a 6 cylinder slug. But in the bush you won't know the difference anyhow. Its only on the blacktop. Probably more reliable than the ZD30 but not as much power and they use more fuel too. If you look at a ZD30, try to find one with low k's or with a rebuilt engine.
TD42's are harder to find. But are more moolah too.

trekster
2nd July 2013, 10:19 PM
Look at it this way, If you need to get somewhere fast, buy a sports car, If you want to go bush then you'd be happy with a 2.8 or 3l, 2.8's don't grenade but don't have as much power, I have a 2.8 myself and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Someone wants to drag you off at the lights? No worries when you catch up to them run them off the road with the beast patrol :D or better still throw eggs at them then lead them into the bush and get them bogged :D

mudski
2nd July 2013, 10:53 PM
Look at it this way, If you need to get somewhere fast, buy a sports car, If you want to go bush then you'd be happy with a 2.8 or 3l, 2.8's don't grenade but don't have as much power, I have a 2.8 myself and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Someone wants to drag you off at the lights? No worries when you catch up to them run them off the road with the beast patrol :D or better still throw eggs at them then lead them into the bush and get them bogged :D
I've always wanted to do that.

wildgu6
2nd July 2013, 11:34 PM
X2 with the above, out bush they're unstoppable on the black top it's like drivin a ford (a bit sluggish) hahaha
Not overly impressed with towing either

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Drewboyaus
3rd July 2013, 12:15 AM
Damn they can sound good with a good exhaust set up and chip too.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

Mattonpatrol
3rd July 2013, 06:20 AM
treckster ahahhahaha i love that one!!! thanks for your reply all! just what i wanted to hear.... and also what sort of little mods are good on the td28's to start off after a good exhaust and a chip? etc etc

trekster
3rd July 2013, 06:52 AM
egr block, butterfly removal, 3" exhaust, get a pyrometer in when the exhaust goes in.

It will never be a rocket ship but you'll still be more capable then those wannabee toyboatas :)

Gerry
4th July 2013, 02:03 PM
I have a 2.8 gu and not real happy with it, sluggish and expensive to maintain. Even in the bush its not real good cause it surges at low revs as the turbo cuts in and out. Want my advise keep the 4.5 petrol, probably cheaper to run once maintiance costs are factored in and heaps more power, quieter and smoother. Put it on LPG maybe, Diesels are overrated.

threedogs
4th July 2013, 03:12 PM
Petrol for offroad as you say all the surging ,needing to keep them on boost all the time.
Possible going quicker than you want just to stay on boost. Last 4x4 petrol on gas dual lockers
idled everywhere, , heres an open can of worms, but horses for courses

mudski
6th July 2013, 03:02 PM
I have a 2.8 gu and not real happy with it, sluggish and expensive to maintain. Even in the bush its not real good cause it surges at low revs as the turbo cuts in and out. Want my advise keep the 4.5 petrol, probably cheaper to run once maintiance costs are factored in and heaps more power, quieter and smoother. Put it on LPG maybe, Diesels are overrated.
Until you come to a deep river crossing. Out comes the WD40 to soak all the electricals. Personal choice really, but I'd rather a 2.8TD over a 4.5 petrol any day if those were the two choices I had.

shanepal
8th July 2013, 10:41 AM
I`ve had a 2.8 for 10years, and love it. Not quick, but reliable. If you buy one, block the EGR valve, and while you are at it, pull the manifolds and turbo off and clean them out. The GU 2.8s are a water cooled turbo, and some of the weird overheating issues they have are due to the inlet manifold clogging up with crud from the recirculated exaust gas and jamming the turbo wastegate closed, thus overdriving and overheating the turbo.