PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish 98GU 2.8 Turbo Intercooled

ronnieY61
1st July 2013, 11:19 AM
Hello Everyone,
I'm looking for some ideas as to why a freshly rebuilt 2.8 turbo intercooled Patrol is only marginly better after a full rebuild. It's now 50 thou over with new everything but for some reason it's only a little better performance wise than before rebuild. Now it has heaps of compression, starts easy does not blow smoke but is still a bit of a slug. It has new injectors and does not belch black under load.
The only things that have not been reconditioned or adjusted is the injector pump and the computer,
if anyone has experienced anything like this I would be very happy to get some answers before my son digs a hole and buries it!!
Many Thanks.

Ben-e-boy
1st July 2013, 01:28 PM
Has it been dyno tuned?

threedogs
1st July 2013, 01:31 PM
X 2 with Ben go get it Dynoed
Have you enough miles on it to say its run in???

nissannewby
1st July 2013, 01:36 PM
How many k's on the vehicle mate? Fresh injector pump can make a big difference on its own but it is still only a 2.8 its never gonna be a quick thing.

ronnieY61
1st July 2013, 01:38 PM
Hey Ben,
Thank you for the feedback, have you had much experience with Dyno Tuning. Can this make a significant difference?

ronnieY61
1st July 2013, 01:41 PM
Hey Three Dogs,
Have you had much experience with the Dyno Tuning, I have no Idea how much of a difference it can make.

threedogs
1st July 2013, 02:49 PM
A Dyno tune will get the best out of what you have, as its tuned as if driving it.
They'll hook up to a computer and maybe re map your fuel or boost to the optimum
can't get much better than Dyno tuned Price wise maybe $150 with a read out of hp /RWKw etc

ronnieY61
2nd July 2013, 09:29 AM
It's just ticked over the 1,000km mark since full rebuild so I guess it's still a little bit tight.

threedogs
2nd July 2013, 04:21 PM
Somehow we need performance figures from new that we can use for all models as a bench mark.
Give or take one second should be ball park and a pass. Just not sure how to obtain figures though

P4trol
2nd July 2013, 11:33 PM
with a read out of hp /RWKw etc

Yeah, post up your dyno sheet!

ronnieY61
18th July 2013, 03:50 PM
Hi Team,
Well what a difference fuel makes, after running it in for a few thousand Kms we managed to find a cheap tune box (single screw type) and proceeded to wire it in. Followed the instructions and set it up so we were actually getting a little puff of diesel soot out of the exhaust when stick the boot in. WOW!! it goes real good for a 2.8 let me tell you, the tip off was a chap at MTQ in Dandenong who said "if it aint puffing black theres not enough fuel going in" and he was right on the money. We are still going to get them to Dyno it because pump timing and all sorts of things could be out and they check and adjust everything, he also mentioned the tune box is a good way to see if your pump can pump enough or if its shagged!! Highly reccomend MTQ in Dandenong, great service, great prices on injectors and turbos, well worth the phone call.
Thanks to everyone for the great advice.

ronnieY61
10th December 2013, 12:29 PM
Hello and thank you to everyone who commented on my post. You were all right! after much prompting and blowing the bum out of his old Garrett Turbo the young fella decided to get the thing Dyno Tuned. The freshly rebuilt 2.8 coupled up to the new Garrett Turbo (many thanks to Gavin at Rotomaster in Campbellfield) new 3" stainless system, tune box and 18 psi actuator is quite impressive compared to the stock figures produced by Nissan.
Nissan claimed 98kw at the flywheel and 235 Nm of torque, we are now churning out 96kw at the rear wheels with 33" tyres and the best thing!! 409 Nm of torque.
Wow!! the old girl realy gets up and goes, for anyone who says the 2.8 is not worth the effort they should take a ride in this thing. Considering this was all done at home apart from the Dyno work we are quite pleased with the performance gains as well as the increased fuel economy.
My weekends will now be mine again

threedogs
10th December 2013, 04:25 PM
Sounds like you're more than happy, figures aren't too shabby either, well done.
Now to get it dirty . Now the forum has a bench mark for the 2.8s 0f 96RwKW.
Surely a bit more work and you can get to 100 rwKW ??? come on.
I take it you have boost and EGT gauges fitted?