PDA

View Full Version : CB and antennas

TheLocksmith
30th June 2013, 06:11 PM
Was going to get this setup for now as I want to do a few other things before stating on the electrical setup of the vehicle.

What do you think?

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/RFI-CD923-Chrome-6-5dbi-3dbi-UHF-CB-Antenna-Pack

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/Icom-IC-41W-IC41W-Waterproof-UHF-CB-Extra-PCA-Battery-pack

boots
30th June 2013, 07:32 PM
The Icom handheld's are a great thing mate . Highly recommend , infact thats all I have and use .

TheLocksmith
2nd July 2013, 05:01 PM
The Icom handheld's are a great thing mate . Highly recommend , infact thats all I have and use .

Thanks boots. Already brought.

Hopefully found a good supplier for the rest of my needs :) Still got a heap loads of things to buy.

In these hard times every cent counts. You have to support the mum and dad battlers!

Drewboyaus
2nd July 2013, 07:33 PM
As long as you can swap that antenna on the base.
It is better to run a lower gain antenna in the high country as they work better over mountains and hills but be able to swap it for a high gain in the desert as they will give you distance.......
That 6.5db antenna is at the higher end of medium gain and might struggle for signal in many parts of the high country.
I run multiple antennae depending on what terrain I will be driving in.
Love the Icom handhelds but a bit of a GME fanboy (Aussie Made)
Cheers,
Drew.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

FNQGU
2nd July 2013, 07:46 PM
I have that exact iCom handheld and use it in both the vehicle and when walking the river banks fishing, plus when keeping track of the kids in the kayaks. Very reliable bit of kit and the battery lasts ages. Expensive but you get what you pay for with that one.

GQ TANK
18th July 2013, 12:05 AM
The antennas gain is a bit miss leading it is quoted as 6.5 dbi and 6.5db - there is a differance of around 2.1 db between a db and DBI antenna

DBI- is the theriacal gain in free space. - some manufactures quote in DBI as a selling point. A 2.1 DBI antenna sounds better then a unity gain 0 db antenna.

Db is the gain over a 1/4 wave roof mounted antenna - consider a roof mount antenna is unity gain - I always use this when looking at antennas.

I have sent an email to my RFI rep to sort out.

The portable looks commercial - just be aware there is a difference in using a 5 watt mobile and 5 watt portable in regards to range due to antenna design, ground plane, closeness of the portable to the users body etc. I can always pick vehicle on trips that are using portables - they have way less range. You can get a RF adaptor and then connect a external antenna to give the same range as a mobile.

TheLocksmith
18th July 2013, 07:42 AM
The antennas gain is a bit miss leading it is quoted as 6.5 dbi and 6.5db - there is a differance of around 2.1 db between a db and DBI antenna

DBI- is the theriacal gain in free space. - some manufactures quote in DBI as a selling point. A 2.1 DBI antenna sounds better then a unity gain 0 db antenna.

Db is the gain over a 1/4 wave roof mounted antenna - consider a roof mount antenna is unity gain - I always use this when looking at antennas.

The portable looks commercial - just be aware there is a difference in using a 5 watt mobile and 5 watt portable in regards to range due to antenna design, ground plane, closeness of the portable to the users body etc. I can always pick vehicle on trips that are using portables - they have way less range. You can get a RF adaptor and then connect a external antenna to give the same range as a mobile.

Thanks for clarifying the difference. I'm still waiting on the antenna so will look it before buying.

threedogs
18th July 2013, 08:13 AM
As suggested go 5 watts you'll find the lower wattage ones disappointing.
Not ideal for convoy work , but great for getting out of 4x4 directions on tricky tracks.
I use an Icom joey for track work and icom 440 in vehicle as all the "KNOBS" are on the
hand piece.
That antenna is fine as you can screw different tips on to suit conditions or area

TheLocksmith
18th July 2013, 07:01 PM

Thanks again and I did ring them. After what felt like pulling teeth, they said to ring RFI for more info. But yes a 6.5dbi is 4.5db