PDA

View Full Version : TD42Ti Conversion & Modification Project

Mikees
30th June 2013, 01:00 PM
G'day all

I'm looking into a TD42Ti conversion for a 2005 ZD30 Patrol. I can get the parts at a good price so I'm planning to source a new bare motor and build up from there with new components, whether that be OE or after market. The objective of the build is for reliability over performance, as the rig is used primarily for remote touring and towing a 2t off-road van. But if there are some efficiency gains to be had along the way I'm keen to explore those avenues. Economy and safe overtaking capability are equally important.

At this stage I'm thinking of a TD05 16g turbo upprade, tune, 3" exhaust, cross country IC, maybe the larger bonnet scoop and boost/egt gauges. Is it best to revert the Ti pump to mechanical? Not really interested in a pump upgrade at this point. Are there any other things I should be looking at and budgeting for? I'm in SA, so not sure how much scrutiny it will cop from the roads authority over here. Suggestions?

Like the NADS mods with the ZD30, are there any other must dos for the TD42Ti?
Thanks for the input!

cheers
Mike

threedogs
30th June 2013, 01:15 PM
Would enamelling the inside of block and de-burring it help??

BigRAWesty
30th June 2013, 01:28 PM
I think KISS..
It sounds like your on the right path though. My TD42 NA has nearly clicked half a million.
Oil every 5 thou, and the rest every 10.
It still keeps up to the in-laws 80 petrol and is a quite capable bus, just gotta drive a little harder in some situations, but well within its capabilities..

So yea, if your in no hurry a turbo is not really needed.. I see it as another thing to fail out bush.. but they do love them and can get good figures with low boost (12psi)

Enjoy the build and remember plenty of pics

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

nissannewby
30th June 2013, 02:38 PM
Your desired setup will be perfect for what you want.

The standard Ti pump will have plenty for what you want without having to touch it.

No real NADs for the TD42Ti maybe block egr.

Check out Florix build thread he has literally just finished this conversion from a 2.8. If your 3.0 is already manual then alls you need is an engine as they use the same box. People have also made the 3.0 auto work with the 4.2.

florix
30th June 2013, 06:25 PM
Hey. I just went down this path with my Rf28t. It's a very straight forward job if its from a zd30 as they have more in common than the rd28. If you do happen to change the box over then the crossmember from a zd30 won't fit I believe, rd28 didn't. As far as mods go. Yes I am going to look into it and hopefully change turbo and go towards a front mount. There isn't much room under the bonnet for any fans to suck the air through the intercooler and if I do get a bigger scoop plus an intercooler it's going to be as if not more expensive then a front mount. In regards to engine mounts all I can say is just get the plate that bolts onto the engine made up as this is the easiest and strongest way to do it the RHS has 6 bolts and the left has 4. One thing I noticed with the rd28 is the turbo sits lower then the td42ti so I have to get a custom made exhaust to suit my 3" mandrel. I did take the butterfly out and once it's plated I'm blocking the egr. I am 100% happy with the power gain and I have gone from third on hills to 4th and even changing up a gear earlier (1.5 gears better). Even going around a roundabout is smoother and I keep it in third for turning into streets now. My wiring loom was done by Killa kustom kables (0404811498) it was easier then taking out my dash. If you want to know anything just hit me up as its all still fresh in my head.