PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the engine bay

bignev
30th June 2013, 08:28 AM
After a recent trip to the beach i noticed there was a fine coating of sand in the lower parts of the engine bay. I was wondering what the best way to clean this out as i am new to diesel engines.

Should i use a low pressure hose as in the garden hose avoiding any electrics and air intakes? Should i have the motor running at the same time?

Any advice would be appreciated

threedogs
30th June 2013, 08:37 AM
Avoiding what you've mentioned try a car wash ,but don't pull the trigger.
High pressure water will get in the most remote places, soak with engine degreaser first.
Don't forget the top of your batteries as well, soap then rinse. Allow motor to cool before hand.

Bloodyaussie
30th June 2013, 09:04 AM
I wash my engine down all the time... I use the engine wash setting at the carwash and get right into it... try to avoid electrics as much as possible but not scared to wet everything.

A quick rinse and start the engine as soon as I am finished... my old hilux would play up if I even looked at water but my GQ does not seem to bothered.. always carry water dispersing spray with you regardless.

taslucas
30th June 2013, 12:46 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14266

PATROL KING
3rd July 2013, 06:35 PM
x2 for me just put plastec bags over alternator and sesitve bbost and pyro ports

Uae70
12th July 2013, 03:24 AM
Spray engine degreaser or wd-40 in some areas then rinse

threedogs
12th July 2013, 09:11 AM
Also available is a heap of angled spray nozzles to get into any place, Just thinking once or twice a year try to clean all hard to see places etc.
Then after its dry, spray some kind of friendly corrosion inhibitor, like Lanotec, fist, oil.
I always whack a safeway bay over the alternator,

Limmy
12th July 2013, 09:22 PM
Whenever I spray my engines. I leave the engine running . I try to avoid alternator , batteries , fuse boxes.

schanmala
15th July 2013, 01:02 PM
Chemtec works a treat. Dont let it soak for too long though

aceblueheeler1992
16th July 2013, 01:46 PM
yep i too use the engine running trick

aceblueheeler1992
16th July 2013, 01:54 PM
do you guys ever clean inside the snokel?

taslucas
16th July 2013, 03:51 PM
do you guys ever clean inside the snokel?

I haven't yet but when I made mine I made it so I could easily undo and check inside

FanTapstic!

aceblueheeler1992
16th July 2013, 04:32 PM
how did you do that? i was thinking of just removing air filter and shoving a hose down it?

taslucas
16th July 2013, 05:03 PM
how did you do that? i was thinking of just removing air filter and shoving a hose down it?

Not sure there would be enough muck in there to warrant using a hose? You'd have to make sure it was well dried out afterwards. Also depends on the types of snorkel, some of them have a dog leg shape in between the guards.
I'll post a link of mine when I get onto the laptop.

FanTapstic!

taslucas
17th July 2013, 09:56 AM

Pm with a few links sent mate

FanTapstic!