PDA

View Full Version : 2004 GU Y61 man TD problem

BLINKYBILL
29th June 2013, 10:57 PM
Hi am new here and also new owner of a 2004 Y61 turbo diesel manual. Now when I am in 2nd and 3rd gear, taking corners and roundabouts slowly it's make some loud deep noises like if it's not responding too gear and speed at time. Does anyone know what it could be. I suspect drivetrain. Hope some can help me. Thanks :smile:

Stropp
30th June 2013, 09:43 PM
What motor Mate? If you are going too slow it will make a loud vibrating sound because you are labouring the motor!

BLINKYBILL
30th June 2013, 10:21 PM
Hi, it's a 4.2 and I agree it's probably so. This is my 1st ever 4 wheel drive, and am driving it like a car soft and gentle. This only occur over speed bumps, roundabouts and curves and the sound is as you describe. Thnx mate.

You seem to know a bit about patrols, could you please tell me one thing. Is there any crank shaft shell bearings on 4.2 turbo that should be changed every 100k ?

Secondly I wonder in what frame revs/gears should it be to remove the noise? Cheers

Col.T
3rd July 2013, 07:15 PM
Blinky
my 4.2D was normal apiration. Low revs was good torque and it had to be really really low revs to strain. My new model is a turbo and low revs basically sicks. Got to have the turbo at least spinning a bit.
Suck it and see what works. You haven't got it in 4wd have you? On bitumen that results in wierd sounds/shudders not to mention really belting everything big time.
You may need to have someone who knows these wagons take it for a test.
Good luck
Col