PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Radiators - Steam

Thirsty
29th June 2013, 07:34 PM
Hi All,

Ive put a Aussie Desert Cooler in my GU and when bleeding the system, some coolant ran down the radiator core. when the thermo's came on, it would steam up everywhere. Is it normal fro these radiators to steam up when water is in the core. Just wonder if its going to do the same in wet weather driving.
Cheers
Troy

nissannewby
29th June 2013, 07:40 PM
Was it steam or mist? If there was residual on the core the thermos will suck it through and spray mist around. Did you lose any fluid in the process of running?

Thirsty
29th June 2013, 07:46 PM
It was steam. There was no loss of coolant either. The top tank was very hot to touch, but that is to be expected.

nissannewby
29th June 2013, 07:53 PM
What temp do the thermos kick in? I reckon as long as you aren't losing any fluid it should be ok.

Thirsty
29th June 2013, 08:08 PM
Not sure as there connected to the ecu. The thermos were coming on periodically and the engine temp sat exactly where the old 4.5 sat on the gauge. I just went back out and checked the coolant and its full. i had a look underneath and there is coolant everywhere, so I guess I put way to much in and it just spat it out when it was bleeding. I did notice a steady flow coming back out of the radiator top when once it got too running temp. i have just now hosed it down to remove the coolant and I'll run it again tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks Nissannewby

Thirsty
30th June 2013, 01:27 PM
Ok, I got it hot enough to clear the fluids and water in the Radiator core and whala, no more steam. Thanks for your help nissannewby.
Cheers
Troy

nissannewby
30th June 2013, 02:33 PM
You will have to take me for a drive now :p