PDA

View Full Version : Just a heads up if your thinking of buying a Eonon head unit

mudski
27th June 2013, 08:26 PM
So I have had this G2227 Eonon double din head unit since I bought the car. Nearly 12 months. From day one the radio reception was shite and the UI was buggy, at the best of times. As of late it started to go hay wire.

Three of the touch screen buttons on the radio screen are now all blurred out and I can't use those buttons,

the GPS has stopped working, the time will change itself whenever it feels like,
the volume control on the touch screen will sometimes change the radio frequency instead of volume,
the illuminated buttons below the screen no longer work
I can't listen to tune via BT
making and receiving phone calls via BT is getting worse by the day.
The flip screen will flip out all by itself sometimes
There is more but I'm sure.
Radio reception poorer than my late grandfathers Radiola Grand. (always had this issue since day dot)

So. Yesty I removed the unit to finally install the GPS tracking system. I needed to pick up a power and earth wire so I though to pick it up from the wires that feed into the stereo.
To my astonishment I found that the earth wire on the loom which is supplied with the head unit by Eonon was in the wrong socket in the plug so the unit had not earthing what so ever so it was installed.
Now I'm no auto sparky so having no earth connection may not matter but I am wondering if this was the root of all the evil this cheap chit has given. The only earth this may have got was from the body of the unit when it was screwed into the mount.

Now I need to buy another cheap chinese crappy unit. Still more than 15hunge less than a branded unit.
So just a heads up for anyone who has bought one or thinking of buying one to check if the plugs are wired correctly.

Winnie
27th June 2013, 08:30 PM
Have you tried to put the earth in the right hole and see if it fixes your problems? Or is it FUBAR?

mudski
27th June 2013, 08:48 PM
Have you tried to put the earth in the right hole and see if it fixes your problems? Or is it FUBAR?
Fixed the earth issue, and the unit is FUBAR.

Alitis007
28th June 2013, 12:27 AM
Mark SSV is having a sale on saturday night 6 - 10pm with upto 70% off, i usually get 5 to 10% above cost when i go in. But a proper head unit will cost you around the 2 gorilla mark. I would splash out a bit and get quality ( if you can afford it ) i was stung once with a cheap head unit and vowed never again!

Lonicus
28th June 2013, 05:52 AM
The Eonon unit I installed when I first got my car lasted a full week, only stayed in that long because it took a week to get a decent unit.

I'm pretty sure the Eonon unit I purchased as new was actually one that had been returned, supposedly fixed, and then sold as a new unit.

Without going into details, most things on the unit didn't work correctly, and what did work was very crap, like the sound quality.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

oncedisturbed
28th June 2013, 07:39 AM
Have to admit I just bought 1 for the troll and it was crap, in the process of sending it back as well. 1st 1 I bought still runs like a dream

Tap, Tap, Taparoo

mudski
28th June 2013, 04:57 PM
Mark SSV is having a sale on saturday night 6 - 10pm with upto 70% off, i usually get 5 to 10% above cost when i go in. But a proper head unit will cost you around the 2 gorilla mark. I would splash out a bit and get quality ( if you can afford it ) i was stung once with a cheap head unit and vowed never again!
I see where your coming from George but I seriously don't see the value in a 2k stereo. I don't listen to music loud, I don't need/ want an amp, sub woofer and expensive speakers in my car. Thats just extra stuff on show for people to want to break in and steal it. I just want a working cheap ass chinese crap unit with inbuilt GPS and working BT and radio. I don't even own CD's anymore so. Hehe. I know I can't have best of both worlds though.
Might have to look around for a branded second hand unit.

Who's SSV too btw? Plus I am heading up to the high country early tomorrow for the weekend...

oncedisturbed
28th June 2013, 05:21 PM
Same as you Mudski, even though most of my maps are on the Ipad and Iphone, having another in dash lets me run extra maps as we all know that various map providers take yonks to update them

Hodge
28th June 2013, 05:56 PM
Who's SSV too btw? Plus I am heading up to the high country early tomorrow for the weekend...

SSV are http://www.streetsoundvision.com.au/
Unfortunately George is right. I know a few people with Eonon units with exact same symptoms as stated above. And like some things, you get what you pay for. A $2000 Pioneer unit for example that came in our work Hi-aces wipes the floor with any of these cheap china 2-din units in terms of performance, screen clarity etc... But, I repeat they are $2k!

I'm like you mudski, I don't want a pumping stereo with super-dooper sound. Just something that actually works and simply plays mp3's and radio and has working GPS.
I got shafted with a Polaris unit. I purely bought it because it was heavily advertised throughout 4wd action dvd's. Unfortunately it turned out absolutely crap. Slow, unresponsive, kept having to reset the unit in order for the GPS to pick up. Yeah the hema maps and ozi explorer were good, but it running in a below average powered unit made it not smooth etc... Mind you that unit was about $1k. Sent it back, got another one sent to me, and same story.
CPU and memory in those units are just very very low grade and when loaded up with maps etc it just cannot cope. Absolute waste of money.
I'm in the market for another unit now in my Patrol and just cannot decide, do I get an all-in-one unit or simply leave the headunit in there and get a portable ozi explorer unit. Decisions.

Alitis007
28th June 2013, 06:07 PM
I see where your coming from George but I seriously don't see the value in a 2k stereo. I don't listen to music loud, I don't need/ want an amp, sub woofer and expensive speakers in my car. Thats just extra stuff on show for people to want to break in and steal it. I just want a working cheap ass chinese crap unit with inbuilt GPS and working BT and radio. I don't even own CD's anymore so. Hehe. I know I can't have best of both worlds though.
Might have to look around for a branded second hand unit.

I listen to some music loud, i some times turn the radio off, i also spent a months wages on a head unit and 4 speakers, why?? Coz they work any and every time for a long time! My GPS has 95% of paved and gravel roads (the other 5% are new estates but i have 3 years of mapping updates for free), its accurate to the meter, my bluetooth connects every time and i can be heard clearly providing i don't have my sunroof open because the mic placement. The speakers i bought don't need an amp or subwoofer to be clean, crisp and punchy ( mind you the next ones up are worth 2k a pair).

I'm getting off track here but after being burnt with a cheap no namer i happily pay extra for everything to do its job, not just for now but to last me atleast 5 years. Thats the method to my madness lol but things are cheap for a reason, they use old tech that has stopped being used for a reason. One last thing i had a Pioneer double DIN unit thats was in the medium price range for 1 day then removed it for my current Alpine and mate the difference in sound and picture quality was unbelievable!!

Anyway its your choice mate thats my 2cw.....

SSV = Street Sound and Vision on settlement rd in Thomastown, they also have a store in Keilor.

Winnie
28th June 2013, 06:21 PM
What speakers have you got George?

mudski
28th June 2013, 06:55 PM
I listen to some music loud, i some times turn the radio off, i also spent a months wages on a head unit and 4 speakers, why?? Coz they work any and every time for a long time! My GPS has 95% of paved and gravel roads (the other 5% are new estates but i have 3 years of mapping updates for free), its accurate to the meter, my bluetooth connects every time and i can be heard clearly providing i don't have my sunroof open because the mic placement. The speakers i bought don't need an amp or subwoofer to be clean, crisp and punchy ( mind you the next ones up are worth 2k a pair).

I'm getting off track here but after being burnt with a cheap no namer i happily pay extra for everything to do its job, not just for now but to last me atleast 5 years. Thats the method to my madness lol but things are cheap for a reason, they use old tech that has stopped being used for a reason. One last thing i had a Pioneer double DIN unit thats was in the medium price range for 1 day then removed it for my current Alpine and mate the difference in sound and picture quality was unbelievable!!

Anyway its your choice mate thats my 2cw.....

SSV = Street Sound and Vision on settlement rd in Thomastown, they also have a store in Keilor.
Agree with you there mate. I just cannot see 2K in something smaller than a shoebox. Heck I just bough the latest and greatest telly for the rumpus room and it wasn't 2k.
Some people, like yourself, care for clear and crisp sound and good pq but I don't. I just want something that works. The GPS in my current POS is accurate, enough. Don't really care about updates, 99% of the places I go have been around since cocky was an egg.
I just have to either buy another cheapo or blow my locker savings on a branded unit.

Now! Which is more important? Locker or stereo?

Alitis007
28th June 2013, 07:00 PM
What speakers have you got George?

Alpine Type R 6.5" component (splits) up front and Pioneers Type D 6.5" coaxial (2 way) kevlar cones rear

Edit: the Pioneers might be 3 way cant remember 100% lol

Alitis007
28th June 2013, 07:16 PM
Agree with you there mate. I just cannot see 2K in something smaller than a shoebox. Heck I just bough the latest and greatest telly for the rumpus room and it wasn't 2k.
Some people, like yourself, care for clear and crisp sound and good pq but I don't. I just want something that works. The GPS in my current POS is accurate, enough. Don't really care about updates, 99% of the places I go have been around since cocky was an egg.
I just have to either buy another cheapo or blow my locker savings on a branded unit.

Now! Which is more important? Locker or stereo?

Hrrrmmmm thats a hard one mate, was twin turbo v8 an option ?? 30798

Seriously i would just do both but i don't have the overheads that you do mate.

Alitis007
28th June 2013, 07:26 PM
BTW i'm not sure if this helps Mark but when i when i first bought my rx, before i registered it i installed a 10k sound system in it :)
Ask Jonathan and his neighbors how it sounds lol

scotty83
28th June 2013, 07:45 PM
Dam you all.... I just bought and fitted one for these last weekend. Eonon G2250. With reversing camera. was just about to do a write-up on how to fit one. Anyone got any good reviews to make me feel better??

oncedisturbed
28th June 2013, 08:05 PM
I put the G2216 in the wifes car and runs well, never had a fault with it. I put the latest C series in mine and it is rubbish. Depending on where music is played from (Ipod, BT, CD etc) it would changed the amount of speakers active at any 1 time

mudski
1st July 2013, 12:54 AM
Another thing I have noticed too is that the volume will alter, not by much, but all of a sudden it will be slightly louder, then it goes quiet again.

Hodge
1st July 2013, 09:12 AM
Another thing I have noticed too is that the volume will alter, not by much, but all of a sudden it will be slightly louder, then it goes quiet again.

Hey mudski. Does your Eonon by any chance have that auto-volume control, variable by in-car noise, for example engine revs etc ?
My Polaris used to do the exact same thing. Was very annoying. However, it did not have that auto-volume feature thing. It was a fault. Eonon has same symptoms as Polaris. Must be using same chipsets/processor.

mudski
1st July 2013, 03:14 PM
Lol. It does now. Apparently it knows what volume I want it at, then it decides it.

Hodge
28th July 2013, 01:44 PM
For what it's worth mentioning... I just played around with my mates Eonon D5168 which is one of the new ones for Nissan, in his navara. And this thing is above and beyond of any other Eonon I've seen. It's fast, responsive, screen is so vibrant, bluetooth NFC feature works great and microphone etc is very clear. I'm very very impressed. This thing craps all over the Polaris unit I used to have, which cost me $1k !
Although I don't know what connections are at the back and if it'll suit the patrol, and/or whether Ozi Explorer CE can be installed on it. It does run windows CE6.0 which you would think so, but yeah, it cost him $270 shipped to his door.
It's got my attention...

oncedisturbed
28th July 2013, 02:31 PM
Just ordered the M1 with miracast so will interesting to see how it goes as they swapped from the other 1 I bought as the sound was screwed

Never underestimate the power of the darkside, let the tap flow through you.

rusty_nail
29th July 2013, 09:48 AM
Have to admit I just bought 1 for the troll and it was crap, in the process of sending it back as well. 1st 1 I bought still runs like a dream

Tap, Tap, Taparoo

yeah the quality has gone down hill. not that it was ever great but still. i had one in my first car and it lasted 4 years and 1 drowning. the most recent one a mate got the CD stopped working within 6 months.

mudski
2nd August 2013, 10:01 PM
The irony in this thread. I'm even still thinking of buying another Eonon unit. God I'm a tightarse!

FNQGU
2nd August 2013, 10:06 PM
Have a look at the Parrot Asteroid Smart double din unit as well. Might be a bit pricey but I;ve had one in now for a week and seems pretty good all around. Works just like an Android phone with Bluetooth and Apps and all that other crap. It has iGo already installed, but I haven;t looked any further regarding mapping abilities or Ozi etc.

mudski
2nd August 2013, 10:09 PM
where did you get it from mate?
This has to be the last thing I do on my car for a while. well after the led globes replacement and thats it.... The wifes is going to get sus. I just worked it out, over the last month I have spent around $1700 on the car. Thats only counting the stuff I can't write off through my business too. :/

FNQGU
3rd August 2013, 05:54 PM
Got it via the local car audio guy in Cairns, (Cairns Car Audio), but he had to order it up from Melbourne somewhere. www.parrot.com as well. There is an Aussie site off that one. Seems like they are only just getting here to Oz.

mudski
3rd August 2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks mate. I'll have a look at them.

Hodge
10th August 2013, 10:49 AM
My deck was shipped back yesterday. Man Auspost love to financially stab people. This unit will cost me dearly. Hopefully they upgrade me to the M1 unit. Will see how it goes.

threedogs
1st January 2016, 03:24 PM
So I have had this G2227 Eonon double din head unit since I bought the car. Nearly 12 months. From day one the radio reception was shite and the UI was buggy, at the best of times. As of late it started to go hay wire.

Three of the touch screen buttons on the radio screen are now all blurred out and I can't use those buttons,

the GPS has stopped working, the time will change itself whenever it feels like,
the volume control on the touch screen will sometimes change the radio frequency instead of volume,
the illuminated buttons below the screen no longer work
I can't listen to tune via BT
making and receiving phone calls via BT is getting worse by the day.
The flip screen will flip out all by itself sometimes
There is more but I'm sure.
Radio reception poorer than my late grandfathers Radiola Grand. (always had this issue since day dot)

So. Yesty I removed the unit to finally install the GPS tracking system. I needed to pick up a power and earth wire so I though to pick it up from the wires that feed into the stereo.
To my astonishment I found that the earth wire on the loom which is supplied with the head unit by Eonon was in the wrong socket in the plug so the unit had not earthing what so ever so it was installed.
Now I'm no auto sparky so having no earth connection may not matter but I am wondering if this was the root of all the evil this cheap chit has given. The only earth this may have got was from the body of the unit when it was screwed into the mount.

Now I need to buy another cheap chinese crappy unit. Still more than 15hunge less than a branded unit.
So just a heads up for anyone who has bought one or thinking of buying one to check if the plugs are wired correctly.

Saw this while searching for another thread, Ive had my eonon unit in for about one year now.
I have encountered no problems whats so ever, radio reception is strong on any channel,
BT works a treat for phone calls Either you have earthing issues or the unit was fubar.
Im very happy with mine, even the TV works better than my other unit,
Saying that they are old school now so time to maybe save for an Android unit 4.4

Hodge
1st January 2016, 03:57 PM
Since this thread is out of the coffin... I've been through 3 Eonon units and never again.

In terms of the original post, I thought the deck picked up grounding off the antenna plug ?

mudski
2nd January 2016, 10:54 PM
Yep. On the second Eonon unit and its the same as the first. Pure garbage. I plug the oem unit in my radio reception returns. So its not a bad earth or anything.
I will eventually just bite the bullet and spent the coin on a real head unit that works.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

jay see
2nd January 2016, 11:12 PM
What's the warranty like with these things.
If it farked from the start can't you replace with another. I read somewhere its a hit and miss with ones that work work.

GeeYou8
2nd January 2016, 11:34 PM
I am pretty sure most units are made in China, are the Eonon just the fish that john west rejected?
Graham

mudski
4th January 2016, 10:38 PM
What's the warranty like with these things.
If it farked from the start can't you replace with another. I read somewhere its a hit and miss with ones that work work.
Whats the point in replace shite with shite? Dont waste your money on these.

jay see
4th January 2016, 11:02 PM
Whats the point in replace shite with shite? Dont waste your money on these.

I don't intend to. It was for the ones that are have one, if its hit and miss, your bound to get a good one.

qwertytank
4th January 2016, 11:40 PM
So if no one is using the Eonon... What is everyone running?

mudski
5th January 2016, 05:14 PM
I don't intend to. It was for the ones that are have one, if its hit and miss, your bound to get a good one.
Im not going to bother sending this back. When the funds allow it i will just buy a branded unit locally. Then if it fails its not much of a hassle to return it.

Maxhead
5th January 2016, 05:53 PM
I've had a couple of these units now, the first in my GU6 and never had a problem.

I ordered another for my GU8 and it was faulty on arrival, they tried to charge me for return courier back to them but after a week of messages to and fro they agreed to supply me a return courier number and I got an upgraded remote with the new unit a few days later.
It's been really good for last three years but totally agree on the radio reception...it's crap.

Roosim
5th January 2016, 06:18 PM
So if no one is using the Eonon... What is everyone running?

I have a Pioneer unit http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/25/109/281/AVH-X3700DAB/page.html
This one suits me as I'm going to run Nav on my IPad

mudski
5th January 2016, 06:21 PM
Yeah ill be going something like that as my phone has the Navi anyway and this cuts the price of the head unit by heaps.

jay see
5th January 2016, 11:13 PM
I want to get something with a decent TV, Bluetooth, and USB. I think the TV is going to be the hardest part.

mudski
5th January 2016, 11:57 PM
TV? Eh?

jay see
6th January 2016, 12:06 AM
TV? Eh?

With my son and his football I'm going to be at games 90 min before they start. And jetts training is 2 hours. TV will kill time.

mudski
6th January 2016, 12:12 AM
With my son and his football I'm going to be at games 90 min before they start. And jetts training is 2 hours. TV will kill time.
Ah. Good point.

threedogs
6th January 2016, 09:39 AM
I want to get something with a decent TV, Bluetooth, and USB. I think the TV is going to be the hardest part.

I have TV so yell out when as I can put you onto the correct antenna instead of buying a heap of crap that wont work.
Its a bit hit and miss with reception on DBT TV, My TV works better on my eonon unit than my older unit.
More than welcome to come around and see the quality. Also you get all channels up on the Murray great if you want to listen
to some footy.

BTW DBT TV is a seperate unit very small, some sell with a double din

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-Double-2-DIN-Car-DVD-GPS-TV-Player-DVB-T-MPEG-4-Stereo-Head-Unit-Radio-USB-TU-/111652215943?hash=item19fefd9c87:g:9JwAAOSwLVZVucb O
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EONON-770-New-In-Car-DVB-T-TV-Tuner-Receiver-Box-Built-In-USB-SD-Port-/181940944898?hash=item2a5c868002:m:mIctvbatCFKFgy-vhsHaxtg

SupRob
6th January 2016, 12:36 PM
Just installed an kenwood DDX5015dab

Digital radio is amazing... the link feature with the phone is amazing... Bargain for $420 From BJ Hifi.

Rob,

jay see
7th January 2016, 12:34 AM

Digital radio is amazing... the link feature with the phone is amazing... Bargain for $420 From BJ Hifi.

Rob,

They say that there is no stupid question, so here it goes.

Do you require internet for digital radio.

I could probably google it, but thought ill ask here.

the evil twin
7th January 2016, 12:47 AM
No........

Clunk
7th January 2016, 01:04 AM

No........
^^^^^^ what he said

Hodge
7th January 2016, 07:15 AM

Rob,

Very nice price, I'm struggling to find it under $550 around here. Good units.

threedogs
7th January 2016, 01:11 PM

I have a few mates that work at JB Hi Fi Thomastown

SupRob
7th January 2016, 06:02 PM

It comes supplied with a digital antenna, little sticker which sticks to your windscreen haha

SupRob
7th January 2016, 06:06 PM

I got mine on their boxing day sale, 30% off, however had to get the phone link cable which was $35

Supercheep has the same version without the digital radio but it was $20 extra from BJ HiFI with digital....

I am loving the digital radio... quite surprise how far i get with digital signal.. Mirror link works amazing... so i could watch you tube, GPS.. anything that my phone brings up will show on the head deck, and even better can control the phone from the head deck touch screen.