PDA

View Full Version : GU 2006 starting Problems

Pilly
27th June 2013, 08:16 PM
New to the forum so bare with me. I have a 2006 GU, 220kms, experiencing erratic starting problems. Hot or cold the engine at times will turn over several times without firing at times flattening the battery. At other times instant start up. Have new battery, new fuel, new fuel filter, new starter motor (all in last week). Once started the vehicle purrs like a kitten with excellent acceleration for the 3ltr and no smoke, hick-ups or other indication of pump/fuel delivery issues. Mr nissan suggested a injection pump change at great expense alluding to issues with the electronics in the pump, with a big "I think" attached to their diagnostic.
The patrol does long country miles including outback but not serious 4x4 driving.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly received.

Thanks

Pilly

rochjas
28th June 2013, 02:05 PM
New to the forum so bare with me. I have a 2006 GU, 220kms, experiencing erratic starting problems. Hot or cold the engine at times will turn over several times without firing at times flattening the battery. At other times instant start up. Have new battery, new fuel, new fuel filter, new starter motor (all in last week). Once started the vehicle purrs like a kitten with excellent acceleration for the 3ltr and no smoke, hick-ups or other indication of pump/fuel delivery issues. Mr nissan suggested a injection pump change at great expense alluding to issues with the electronics in the pump, with a big "I think" attached to their diagnostic.
The patrol does long country miles including outback but not serious 4x4 driving.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly received.

Thanks

Pilly

Glow Plugs??? when were these replaced.... Maybe a good place to look

Morton
28th June 2013, 09:35 PM
yes start at glow plugs & buzzbar or glow plug rod, clean the maf sensor too & start again

Pilly
1st July 2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys, had all the basics checked re glow plugs, etc. haven't cleaned MAF but latest diagnostic is faulty brand new replacement starter motor drawing excessive current and sending the ECU off on a wild goose chase. Will let you know outcome after yet again replacing SMtr with newy.

Rgds Pilly

threedogs
1st July 2013, 03:02 PM
I had a small stutter upon starting, ended up pouring some WYNNES injector cleaning in the tank and problem went away.
I'd give the MAF a good clean, Have the battery disconnected for 1/2hr as well. Maf cleaner available from SCA or Jaycar,
just make sure its dry before you reinstall it.

Pilly
1st July 2013, 09:02 PM
Thks 3dogs, the claws have already got me on the cam sensor but I reckon I discovered the problem couple of hours ago. Original issue- stuffed starter motor replaced with new after market unit. Initially no problems all round but latest diagnostic suggested excessive current draw by new starter motor resulting in dodgy fault signals. Removed SMtr to find positive pin as supplied on SMtr when installed made contact with engine block eventually creating live short on start up. Tomorrow will replace and see if overall starting issue goes away - reckon it will

This Pilly

Pilly
7th July 2013, 02:19 PM
All,

Problem solved - was the short in the starter motor ................pleasant surprize considering Mr Nissan had me lined up for a replacement Fuel Injection pump at around $4500. Always worth getting a second opinion.

Thanks for your help

Rgds Pilly