PDA

View Full Version : High oil consumption

Chimp
26th June 2013, 10:44 PM
Help! my newly aquired 2007 3Ltr direct injection is drinking the oil!! There are NO exsternal leaks, pepole have commented on a light cloud behind the car when pulling away, also the back of the car does seem to have a light cover of black dust (white car easy to see). Now where should I be looking first? The engine it self, or the Turbo,or is this common for these engines? Sorry some details, the car has completed 200,000 (log book shows complete service history) and its uses around 1Ltr to 2000 KM. Is there possibly a breather that could have ben come blocked! Any thoughts/idears would be a grate help.
Cherers
Chimp:

Col.T
28th June 2013, 07:25 PM
Chimp, g'day mate
While you're waiting for some ideas here, head on over to the introduction page and tell us a bit about yourself. This is a fairly sociable mob and we like to know a bit about each other.
Don't know if I can help much with your prob.. I've had a couple of 'troll models over about 600K. and not any real oil usage trouble. With oil/filter changes at about 5/6000K. a litre or two wouldn't be a disaster although I think mine haven't been quite that much. Black smoke seems to me more an injector problem and you may find that a good run with the temp at full operating (at about half way on the gauge) helps clean them. I'm sure you're aware that diesels hate short runs like as in shopping trips around town. They're built for trucking distances by preference and both mine have run their absolute best after a van (2ton.) trip up North over about 14K. . Some people use fuel additives and you can search the threads at your liesure. At the worst end of the scale, you may have engine/cylinder wear for some reason but I'd wait till some more suggestions come in.
Can't offer more, sorry
good luck
Col
p.s. don't forget the intro.

88GQwithlift
29th June 2013, 10:42 AM
my money is on the turbo leaking oil internally..

threedogs
29th June 2013, 11:40 AM
Mods will sort what section this needs to go in, I would be fitting a Provent 200 catch can and getting my NADs together.
Black smoke is too much fuel . Do you know what boost you are running??
Is it Di I didn't think they made an 07 Di, probable wrong.

Parksy
29th June 2013, 01:01 PM
Might need a thicker grade oil if it hasn't already.