PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 turbo diesel 200 killer wasp club!

PMC
26th June 2013, 07:40 PM
I have removed all material content because I have left this forum!

MudRunnerTD
26th June 2013, 07:45 PM
Half way there! May never get there though damnit! Would be awesome. Happy to test drive someone else's though! ;)

Ben-e-boy
26th June 2013, 07:53 PM
I am so close, I still have a small turbo which boosting at the higher limits of its efficiency, and its limiting my power.
Got a water to air intercooler, custom plenum, minor headwork, 12mm pump.
I'm pricing up a gtx3071r at the moment, and next time the head comes off, some oversize valves :D

Then I will be there

Ben-e-boy
26th June 2013, 10:16 PM
Winnie will be here soon, he has just had his first taste of diesel power.

Winnie
26th June 2013, 10:25 PM
Nah mate don't think I'll ever take it that far.... Hahah. Would LOVE that power though. Like Daz I'm only half way there at the moment. If I make 120-130kW I'd be stoked!

Trying to use Motorculture

Ben-e-boy
27th June 2013, 05:07 PM
Nah mate don't think I'll ever take it that far.... Hahah. Would LOVE that power though. Like Daz I'm only half way there at the moment. If I make 120-130kW I'd be stoked!

You will be stoked for about 2 months then you will want 150, then you want 200.

Winnie
27th June 2013, 05:16 PM
You will be stoked for about 2 months then you will want 150, then you want 200.

Not if I start ignoring you I won't! Hahahaha

PMC
27th June 2013, 05:48 PM

Ben-e-boy
27th June 2013, 05:58 PM
Not if I start ignoring you I won't! Hahahaha

So newby and I have another purpose........pressure daz about long arms and you about power. Lmao

Edit, we will take you for a spin my Q and matts U in october....... then try and ignore it hahahahah

nissannewby
27th June 2013, 06:06 PM
I don't know about 200kw but I wouldn't mind 800nm

MEGOMONSTER
27th June 2013, 07:09 PM
You could this on for size.
Pretty sure it'll get the front wheels off the ground.

MEGOMONSTER
27th June 2013, 07:11 PM
You could this on for size.
Pretty sure it'll get the front wheels off the ground.

Winnie
27th June 2013, 08:20 PM
G'day Trendsetters,

I am currently at 125kw's with my UFI TD05 16G large turbo with a Cross Country intercooler. I could probably get 150kw from the 16G set-up if i use a Diesel Central modified injector pump to suit.

PS, anyhow, i am hoping to get to the 200kw benchmark with another turbo set-up and a Diesel Central modified injector pump soon. I will keep you all posted!

Regards,

RLI

So RLI I see you sold your turbo to Stropp.... what setup will you be going with next?

Winnie
27th June 2013, 08:22 PM
I don't know about 200kw but I wouldn't mind 800nm

I wouldn't know what torque my old setup was making, my dyno reading shows 2500N of tractive effort but I don't even know what that is.

nissannewby
27th June 2013, 08:40 PM
You may have been lucky to be making 400nm. There's a fair bit involved to even get 700nm. Ask diesel tec when your there.

Winnie
27th June 2013, 09:46 PM
Yes he is that's why I'm trying my best to ignore him and Benny! LMAO nah Mat's alright. He's given me some great advice on my setup which is half complete and I am super impressed with it so far. It will never make the type of power that you are looking at but it's enough for me and I'm happy with that!

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

Winnie
29th June 2013, 04:39 PM
This is my old one compared to the new one. Newie on the right

PMC
29th June 2013, 05:22 PM
This is my old one compared to the new one. Newie on the right

Big difference in the size of the intake housings! You should be a lot happier with the performance now Winnie!

Regards,

RLI

Ben-e-boy
14th July 2013, 08:05 PM
All that excitment RLI nd no photos!!! Especially the port jobs.
What kind of exhaust manifold do you have.

I will be match porting my dts exhaust manifold before the new turbo goes on :)

Winnie
14th July 2013, 08:57 PM
Paul and Benny.... You blokes are insane!

Winnie
17th July 2013, 06:16 PM
But honey Winnie got one so I had to go bigger and better! Lmao

Ben-e-boy
17th July 2013, 07:54 PM

Not insane......just men.

nissannewby
17th July 2013, 08:27 PM

How is yours going Winnie? Should have done a few runs now to see if the economy is better?

Winnie
17th July 2013, 08:47 PM
How is yours going Winnie? Should have done a few runs now to see if the economy is better?

Yes it's better but not by a lot. Returning from 14-16. I suppose being a wagon with a roof rack, light bar, awning etc.. It's not that bad. Hope it's better with the cooler too. Gotta wait another two weeks for that.

Ben-e-boy
18th July 2013, 06:30 AM
Yes it's better but not by a lot. Returning from 14-16. I suppose being a wagon with a roof rack, light bar, awning etc.. It's not that bad. Hope it's better with the cooler too. Gotta wait another two weeks for that.

Has it been dynoed yet?

MudRunnerTD
14th August 2013, 03:01 PM
I really like the big barrel box and snorkel from Patrol Doctor. Out through the bonnet! Looks insane! And Works!

Ben-e-boy
14th August 2013, 03:02 PM
After fitting the new 18G billet wheel Kinugawa turbo set-up.I am now back to square one regarding air in take issues.

Nissannewby discovered on Saturday the new set-up is now collapsing the intake hoses again. The current set-up worked fine with the UFI TDO5 16G turbo set-up, however, the more powerful Kinugawa turbo set-up requires more air-flow.

I spoke with Ben from 4B fabrications & performance tuning and he makes sells an alloy billet kit for $950.00 good for 200kw. However, there is a 3 week waiting list for one.

I also spoke with Steve from PatrolDocta and he advised me that the ZD 30 air-box is good for around the 150kw mark and that sells for $415.00. The large barrel air-box and 4inch snorkel kit sells for around $800.00 and is good for 200kw plus. Steve advised me that he has all these in stock.

I am currently waiting for Fatz fabrications to get back to me with a price.

PS, keep you all informed as i go!

Regards,

RLI

Fatz still haven't got back to me yet so I am not going to bother.
I should be able to pick mine up late next week from a well educated, engineering type bloke from the other patrol forum, and a snorkel from radius fab, HOPEFULLY I should get it dynoed before I fly back to work. :thumbup: :D

MudRunnerTD
14th August 2013, 03:02 PM
G'day Trendsetters,

Over the last couple of weeks i have finally achieved the port and polishing of the head, inlet and exhaust manifolds and finally the the turbo. I have opened the waste-gate port from 20mm out to 27mm and the turbo housing from 50 out to 65 and that matches the 3inch dump pipe and gasket. Also trimmed the compressor wheels!

Regards,

RLI

Wow that's a huge port! Did you do that yourself? Got any before and after pics? Would love to see them!

89gqpatrol4x4
16th August 2013, 06:23 PM
love the strategic placement of the Qld stubbie cooler QLDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MudRunnerTD
16th August 2013, 06:39 PM
love the strategic placement of the Qld stubbie cooler QLDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he only drinks Powerade though!!! Buys it by the Pallet!

Kai
17th August 2013, 04:27 PM
Looking good. :beer:.. subscribed

@GUte
21st August 2013, 08:26 PM
Great stuff Paul,

I'll get into modifying mine this weekend.

Paul, what is this 'alloy billet kit' from 4B Fabrications?

The CC intercooler is 3 weeks away. This week I'll speak to DC about a 12mm pump for hopefully within the next couple of weeks.

That filter assy/snorkel from Patroldocta looks the goods. I'll get onto them this week. Will be interesting to see which filter they use in these. I see the Nissan airbox having it's limits regardless of the lid used.

As far as inlet/exhaust manifolds, I'll stick with the OEM's till I suss out which way to go as far as efficiency is concerned.

I spoke to NPC clutch about the Vipor assy which I'll get within the next couple of weeks.

Al.

PMC
24th August 2013, 05:12 PM

nissannewby
24th August 2013, 05:18 PM
Hopefully Ben-e will be posting his results here in the next few days. He should be able to creep past the 200kw :D

Ben-e-boy
24th August 2013, 08:51 PM
Well I have nearly finished the intake, all Ineed to do now is find a 4 inch 45 degree bend, all the auto store stock bugger all 4 inch piping so I will have to ebay it which means no tune on monday it will be the following week when I get gome from work.

Tomorrow I will make an overflow bottle out of a cheap aluminium catch can and relocate the control wiring for the intercooler.

Slowly getting there.

The safari snorkle ram head is on the right. What I have recently learned about ram heads is that they don't flow much more than not having one, what they do is direct the air into the snorkle far better than not having one, this inturn increases the accelaration of the air through the intake which inproves engine responce.

I have also learned(I think) that turbos dont like to suck or have to work for their air, on the td42's you have to have a bend between the filter and the turbo there is no other way of doing it. But, having 2 bends will increase the amount of work the turbo has to do sacrificing torque and engine responce.

nissannewby
24th August 2013, 08:59 PM
Very good Ben-e grasping it quite well for a sparkie :p

Bambill
27th August 2013, 09:45 AM

Marty

@GUte
27th August 2013, 08:14 PM
Hi Marty,

You have obviously played/researched well regarding turbo system particularly on the TD42 diesel.

No disrespect but are you able to substantiate your claims so they don't just look like hearsay, which we see all too often in these forums?

Re the Patroldocta barrel aircleaner. If the panel filters are as good as made out to be, this would work well in place of the barrel filter.

Al.

Ben-e-boy
27th August 2013, 08:17 PM
LOL. it is a interesting journey boys.

Just some insight. The patrol doctor airbox and snorkle setup that goes through the bonnet is not much chop. The last few setups I have seen with them have had issue with airflow. To make the numbers they should and have some response the airbox lid was removed.
Paul, your turbo looks the part. Unfortunately the compressor wheel pictured is very close to just a straight copy of the cast wheel. I have never weighed that particular wheel, but from others I can make a educated guess that it would be at most 2g lighter than a cast one. That particular wheel lacks any features for it to be any real inprovement over a standard cast one. Some aero and dimension changes, and few other bits would have helped the cause alot.
Ben, that airbox looks familiar, LOL. You certainly have the right man on the job. I am looking forward to the results of yours. I am not a fan of the GTX that you have and the results from them always intrigue me.

Good luck fellas, I will keep a eye on your exploits.

Marty

Haha yes to some lucky people the airbox is a dead give away to who made it. I have a bit of an information overload from that bloke, but I am sure it will be a winner.

Stropp
27th August 2013, 08:59 PM
G'day Ben-e-boy and nissannewby!

Is this what you two diesel power-beasts are looking for. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxGTKKXK4og&feature=player_detailpage

Regards,

RLI

Geez that has some poke, 9.96 pretty quick.

Winnie
27th August 2013, 09:03 PM
It's like a diesel powered steam train, that is so awesome!

Ben-e-boy
28th August 2013, 06:51 PM
G'day Ben-e-boy and nissannewby!

Is this what you two diesel power-beasts are looking for. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxGTKKXK4og&feature=player_detailpage

Regards,

RLI

Farkkkk check this one out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt8w3qlzZhs&feature=player_detailpage

God bless the rednecks and the good ole USA. lol

Regards,

RLI

LOL I have seen them, that is not the quickest it has run
Here is a sled puller built by the same diesel Mob 150 psi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIHPzuqSc4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here is over 9 minutes of redneck diesel drag racing :D :bigthumbup: the same dodge is the at the start kf the Vid runs a 9.1 @ 155mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pl3gVofrEs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

@GUte
30th August 2013, 08:46 PM
LOL. it is a interesting journey boys.

Paul, your turbo looks the part. Unfortunately the compressor wheel pictured is very close to just a straight copy of the cast wheel. I have never weighed that particular wheel, but from others I can make a educated guess that it would be at most 2g lighter than a cast one. That particular wheel lacks any features for it to be any real inprovement over a standard cast one. Some aero and dimension changes, and few other bits would have helped the cause alot.

Good luck fellas, I will keep a eye on your exploits.

Marty

From Kando Dynamic

"We always designs the billet wheel with smallese central as we can, that
means the blade will be bigger even the inducer and exducer size is same.
and blade angle will be higher, so it will offer more airflow than cast
wheel.
By the way, the billet wheel is stronger, the vibration will be smaller on
top end to prevent out of balance."

Eiji Takada

From Kinugawa

"The cast wheel is about 0.125lb and the billet one is about 0.138 lb.
The billet wheel with small central and extended tip can offer more 15% air
flow than the cast one."

Regards,
Bruce

@GUte
31st August 2013, 11:23 PM
Lol.
Bruce so you have looked at the photo Paul put up and can see the extended tip?
That wheel has a blade height that is about 1.9mm from memory ,higher than a standard wheel.
Of the top of my head without going and looking at the manufactures spec sheet on it (which I have) the nose is .6mm smaller down to 13.8mm and the hub is reduced by a similar amount. It has no back reduction. The blade angle is also up from 28deg to 75-90deg.
The higher blade angle is not really what we want in a diesel for building boost rapidly.
I have consulted with manufacturer on modifying a design which I have had machined up. About a week later Kinugawa were offering the wheel I approved the design on for sale.

Marty

Noooo that was a quote from Bruce from Kinugawa you whacker!

MEGOMONSTER
1st September 2013, 06:22 PM
LoL. PML.
Will my ZD30 reach a 100 killer wasps.

Winnie
1st September 2013, 08:18 PM
You might pull enormous horsepower out of this new engine idea Paul, but you'll never ride in comfort like Leather Seat Mick!

PMC
1st September 2013, 08:25 PM
G'day you killer-wasp Lounge Lizards!

Folks, i am truly amazed how the Americans are willing to share any turbo diesel information to you. Its a pity, that in this great country of ours, that we have fark-wit diesel mechanic/engineers that think basic diesel engine tune-ups and custom mods are some what of a secret black-art! During my quest for diesel knowledge, the basic diesel mods in this country have been around in the US and Europe for over 20 years.

But unfortunately, over here in Australia, we are been feed bullshit and been ripped off by some unscrupulous operators! Anyhow that will not happen again to this little black-duck!

Regards,

RLI

@GUte
1st September 2013, 09:44 PM
G'day you killer-wasp Lounge Lizards!

Folks, i am truly amazed how the Americans are willing to share any turbo diesel information to you. Its a pity, that in this great country of ours, that we have fark-wit diesel mechanic/engineers that think basic diesel engine tune-ups and custom mods are some what of a secret black-art! During my quest for diesel knowledge, the basic diesel mods in this country have been around in the US and Europe for over 20 years.

But unfortunately, over here in Australia, we are been feed bullshit and been ripped off by some unscrupulous operators! Anyhow that will not happen again to this little black-duck!

Regards,

RLI

Even non secret squirrel stuff Paul. Slightly amusing how certain knowledgeable wait in the back ground waiting to question ones motives rather than offer constructive assistance before hand.

Head swelling knocks out a frontal node I reckon!

Bambill
4th September 2013, 01:01 AM

nissannewby
4th September 2013, 01:36 AM
Hmmmm?

If this is a little dig at me you are quiet mistaken.
I will help anyone who personally contacts me, what I do not like is public personal thanks.
The other thing I won't do is help people who won't help themselves or think it is their god given right that I should hand out my own personal R&D publicly.
The only frontal node injury here that I can see would be your own.

Personally fella, if you want some informative answers or a genuine exchange of information you should bring something to the table yourself. It is oh so easy to sit back and leave a few individuals to put the time, MONEY ,and effort into something and expect them to hand all that over to you.
You are a fool!
Tosser!

Marty

Have a dip fella

BigRAWesty
4th September 2013, 02:25 AM
Common boys. Play nice. We all want the same thing here.. Take petty stabs out back via pm if you need to..
Don't need a great thread degrading to crap..

How's the New box looking newby? Or was that Benny fitting the 4' intake setup?

taslucas
4th September 2013, 07:58 AM
Hmmmm?

I will help anyone who personally contacts me, what I do not like is public personal thanks.
The other thing I won't do is help people who won't help themselves or think it is their god given right that I should hand out my own personal R&D publicly.

Personally fella, if you want some informative answers or a genuine exchange of information you should bring something to the table yourself. It is oh so easy to sit back and leave a few individuals to put the time, MONEY ,and effort into something and expect them to hand all that over to you.
You are a fool!
Tosser!

Marty

Hmmmm?

I take it you've never asked anything of anyone ever .....?

No one asked you to join this forum.
Did you join here to GIVE knowledge or TAKE it?

You don't like giving it, so one would presume you simply came to take it.

Now, be off with you! I want to hear more happy and constructive conversations.

GO KILLER WASPS!!:-)

Winnie
4th September 2013, 08:07 AM
Not long until you experience the killer wasp now Lucas! I can't wait to experience Benny's Real killer wasps.....

taslucas
4th September 2013, 08:15 AM
At 120kw, would you say you're still a baby wasp or maybe just a really angry bee......?

Lol, cant wait!

Winnie
4th September 2013, 08:22 AM
Yeah I would say a baby wasp. But it's still a killer!

Ben-e-boy
4th September 2013, 12:27 PM
Finally...

MEGOMONSTER
4th September 2013, 12:30 PM
Finally...

Slalalalalalalalalinky. Lol

Winnie
4th September 2013, 12:32 PM
That would give a jelly fish a hard on!

taslucas
4th September 2013, 01:18 PM
I prefer red

MudRunnerTD
4th September 2013, 02:22 PM
Hey looking good Bene! nice one mate.

rusty_nail
4th September 2013, 02:24 PM
I prefer red

too much talk about red from you today lucas... i hope its not that time of the month?

ben-e, setup looks amazing mate! i hope shell all be ready for october!!!

@GUte
4th September 2013, 08:29 PM
Hmmmm?

You are a fool!
Tosser!

Marty

Excuse me but get your facts right, but maybe after this, your post it could very well refer to you! Obviously there is something I said that maybe hit home? Don't make assumptions sunshine you can't prove with such offence. Being offensive calling one names shows a lack of control and maturity. Get over it! Read Paul's post and you may get an idea.

As far as giving compared to taking, across the forums I attend I give WAY more than I'll ever receive and I'm fine with that and get plenty requests from across the globe which I'm happy to do, so once again get your facts right.

I stand by original post.

@GUte
4th September 2013, 08:42 PM
Yeah sorry blokes, there is better things to discuss!

I fitted up the Kinugawa TD05 across three days (fri, sat, sun) and did the pump adjustments listed by Paul. I was able to give it a good run over the last couple of days running from Beechworth down to Woodspoint and back. Bluddy goes nice and the ute was pretty well loaded up. If you fitted one of these to a N/A, it would open your eyes! Works in progress with intercooler, pump, snorkel and airbox etc yet to happen.

Ben-e-boy
4th September 2013, 09:05 PM
Yeah sorry blokes, there is better things to discuss!

I fitted up the Kinugawa TD05 across three days (fri, sat, sun) and did the pump adjustments listed by Paul. I was able to give it a good run over the last couple of days running from Beechworth down to Woodspoint and back. Bluddy goes nice and the ute was pretty well loaded up. If you fitted one of these to a N/A, it would open your eyes! Works in progress with intercooler, pump, snorkel and airbox etc yet to happen.

Hey mate. How about you go over to the intro thread and tell us about yourself and your rig. It is something that everyone has to do.

@GUte
5th September 2013, 06:40 PM
Hey mate. How about you go over to the intro thread and tell us about yourself and your rig. It is something that everyone has to do.

Hi Ben,

From my understanding it's not something one has to do but probably the right thing to do, so I'll do that.

Al.

taslucas
6th September 2013, 10:38 AM
G'day Al,

Good onya mate!

PS, We like to create A bromance (a close non-sexual relationship between two (or more) men, a form of affectional or homosocial intimacy) atmosphere here on the forum. Fark, i had to put up the definition up for both Ben-e-boy and nissannewby. lol See men, it has nothing to do with being sunk to the nuts. lol

Regards,

RLI

200kw's does funny things to the mind!

Winnie
6th September 2013, 12:20 PM
Good service GREAT price. That's less than what most charge for an 11mm

MudRunnerTD
6th September 2013, 12:24 PM
Is that a Change Over price? Yes Very good price.

Ben-e-boy
6th September 2013, 06:22 PM
Why dont you ring gympie diesel, they have done all my tuning and pump etc,

nissannewby
6th September 2013, 06:53 PM
Come on Ben-e throw the results up :p

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 08:05 PM
Why dont you ring gympie diesel, they have done all my tuning and pump etc,

Yes Ben-e-boy, where are the results of this all elusive 200 killer wasps.

Ben-e-boy
6th September 2013, 08:43 PM
So far I am only at 180.6kw (145.6rwhp) and about 1700ft-lb tractive effort. I keep blowing intercooler piping off. I need to get some solid piping

I have really only driven 300m into it when the piping blows. I left the mechanic and there is a dirt backroad 1st and 2nd gear were easy going, 3rd gear I wound it on at about 2000rpm..... wheel spin. Hit 4th gear.....more wheel spin:D :bigthumbup:, then the hose blew off.

The first graph is power an boost, the top line is power and bottom line is boost

The second is power and torque, top is power bottom in torque

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 08:55 PM
So far I am only at 180.6kw (145.6rwhp)

So if your getting this, I must be at 60rwhp. PML

nissannewby
6th September 2013, 09:27 PM
Ben-e actually got 246hp

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 09:29 PM
Ben-e actually got 246hp

No, he maxed out at 245.6.

Winnie
9th September 2013, 07:31 PM
What is your limiting factor? Fuel? At what revs do you hit 30psi?

taslucas
9th September 2013, 07:34 PM
What is your limiting factor?

Diesel............

Ben-e-boy
9th September 2013, 07:48 PM
What is your limiting factor? Fuel? At what revs do you hit 30psi?

It soots abit under power, I can wind more fuel in, may its piping size post turbo, dont know.
30psi by about 2000rpm, comes on quick and strong :D

growler2058
9th September 2013, 07:50 PM
Diesel............

Nob Head!!

taslucas
9th September 2013, 07:58 PM

Like patrol, like owner....

taslucas
9th September 2013, 07:58 PM
Nob Head!!

Oil burner

growler2058
9th September 2013, 08:06 PM
Oil burner

Tasmanian...

taslucas
9th September 2013, 08:18 PM
Tasmanian...

city living 4wd owner......

growler2058
9th September 2013, 08:18 PM
city living 4wd owner......

Thread hijacker

taslucas
9th September 2013, 08:19 PM
Thread hijacker

black kettle

growler2058
9th September 2013, 08:21 PM
:hijacked::sterb003::sterb003::210:
black kettle

:toot:

taslucas
9th September 2013, 08:24 PM
:hijacked::sterb003::sterb003::210:

:toot:

congratulations mate, id shake your hand if you were here. or maybe a high 5

Ben-e-boy
9th September 2013, 08:27 PM
I would have expected a better hijacking than that. Soft as a pensioners sh1t the both of you

Winnie
9th September 2013, 08:30 PM
It soots abit under power, I can wind more fuel in, may its piping size post turbo, dont know.

Far out that's quick! Are you gonna leave it as is or squeeze the most out of it.... Actually I know the answer to that lol. I should have said, are you gonna leave it as is for October?
Are you running 12 or 13mm pump?

Ben-e-boy
9th September 2013, 08:41 PM
Far out that's quick! Are you gonna leave it as is or squeeze the most out of it.... Actually I know the answer to that lol. I should have said, are you gonna leave it as is for October?
Are you running 12 or 13mm pump?

12mm Pump I'll leave it as is for now. When I could be bothered spending more money on it I will have more power and torque

taslucas
9th September 2013, 08:43 PM
I would have expected a better hijacking than that. Soft as a pensioners sh1t the both of you

errrrr you know how soft that is..................

Winnie
9th September 2013, 08:44 PM
Yeah fair enough. I know how you feel but on a smaller scale lol. Still 180kw is massive power and I can't wait for you to take me for a spin!

growler2058
10th September 2013, 06:08 AM
errrrr you know how soft that is..................

Copious amounts if vitamised boiled cabbage will do tat to a poo

Winnie
17th September 2013, 03:47 PM
Are you still going to work on the 4.2 until you sort out the Cummins?

Good price on the 12mm pump from Gympie Diesel!

Ben-e-boy
17th September 2013, 05:15 PM
Who are going to get to tune it.

If you were to go with a gympie diesel pump Simon could make your pump the same or similar to mine

@GUte
17th September 2013, 06:03 PM
Paul, are they all using genuine Zexel etc parts?

@GUte
18th September 2013, 09:38 AM
G'day mate,

I will ask them all that question today!

Regards,

Paul

That's a great price from DPS if they use genuine.

Not being sceptical but you do wonder why so much cheaper. But then we have seen inflated prices previously when items became the shiz.

A few + years ago I paid $1600 to get the pump reco'd with genuine Zexel parts.

Ben-e-boy
21st September 2013, 12:19 PM
Well even though I am 20Kw shy of 200Kw here is a bit of an up date on how it is going.

Yesterday I took it for its first decent drive to Maroochydore and back ( about and hour each way) Mainly highway and a bit of city driving.

With then old turbo ( TD05H-16g small max boost @ 21psi) at 100-110 km/h it would be boosting at around 3-4 psi on a flat road with about 240 degree pyros, nothing wrong there. The new turbo ( GTX3071r max boost @ 31psi) sits on 7-10 psi on the same stretches of flat road with about 210 degree pyros. I think the drop in pyros is largely due to new turbo being in its efficiency zone where the old turbo wasn't
Being at about 2500 rpm when you are on the cam overtaking at highway speeds is amazing. 100km/h to 115km/h is done in literally 1 second, it is pretty much instant, and that is in 5th gear! In 4th 90km/h to 120km is done in 2 seconds.

The power delivery is quick but smooth....very smooth If I had a good auto trans behind it, it would amost be a seamless delivery
Stop start city driving is very good also, If I rev out 1st and 2nd gear to about 3200rpm using as little throttle as possible to achieve that rpm, by the time I have selected the next gear it is at about 2000rpm in the torque zone it is so smooth and a pleasure to drive

Maintaining speed on the typical bruce highway hills is easy I found myself having to back off slowly as I was exceed the speed limit by the top.

I pretty dam impressed with it. Even though I still have an issue with boost leaks or the intake piping collapsing at WOT.

Cheers.

Winnie
15th October 2013, 09:32 PM
G'day evening Ben-e-boy,

How is your Patrol performing? are you happy with the Garrett?

PS, how did she perform down in Victoria?

Regards,

RLI

Very well! Hey Paul, Benny took me for a spin and fark me is it impressive! We were on a gravel road and even with his 35s on with low tyre pressure he had no traction, so awesome!

Ben-e-boy
16th October 2013, 09:38 AM
G'day evening Ben-e-boy,

How is your Patrol performing? are you happy with the Garrett?

PS, how did she perform down in Victoria?

Regards,

RLI

Yeah I am happy with it. Its very driveable, good boost responce. I still get boost leaks and need to control the wastegate better, but on the highway hills especially between Wyong and Sydney it does them with ease. On the trip down I was overtaken on the flat by a 2.8 diesel hilux crossing the Hawksbury river, both driver and passenger giving me the look of your patrol sux, there is a big hill on the southern side of the river, well.......I made it my business to overtake them up the hill at 110 while they were at about 70. 10 minutes later they finally caught up to give me the loser flyby/Lebanese slingshot, both looking at the loaded farm ute differently. Hahahahaha Dominance was stamped hahaha.

I did take Winnie for a spin at camp and was able to break traction in 4th with the 35's at 15psi :biggrin:

Alitis007
16th October 2013, 09:43 AM
Nice way of beating on your chest Bene , love it!!! lol

Ben-e-boy
16th October 2013, 10:06 AM
Haha it's so satisfying.

taslucas
16th October 2013, 11:01 AM

Haha it's so satisfying.

Lol, nothing the 4.5 won't do straight out of the box hey George;-)

Alitis007
16th October 2013, 01:55 PM
Lol, nothing the 4.5 won't do straight out of the box hey George;-)

Well what can i say........ Last chrissy break on my way to Eden NSW around the Orbost area there was landcrabs that where in the right over taking lane trying to pass vehicles in the left lane and me overtaking them on the wrong side of the road :) ask my mrs, she'll confirm what i did with my 4.5 lol

Alitis007
16th October 2013, 01:58 PM
Haha it's so satisfying.

My personal favorite is when they try the slingshot i speed up to match their speed so they can't get infront and watch as their faces fill with fear as another car approaches then i slow back down when they come behind me again lol then let them pass hahahaaa

PMC
21st February 2014, 11:39 AM
G'day Ben-e-boy,

How is your Patrol going?

PS, what about everyone else's 200kw project how are you all going, ie Winnie,Al?

Regards,

RLI

mudski
21st February 2014, 12:32 PM
Well I finally got my td42 and soon the build will start. Just got to figure out where to start...

threedogs
21st February 2014, 12:50 PM
getting room to strip and store parts

PMC
21st February 2014, 08:23 PM
G'day Ben-e-boy,

How is your Patrol going?

PS, what about everyone else's 200kw project how are you all going, ie Winnie,Al?

Regards,

RLI

Are you there Ben-e-boy or Al

Regards,

RLI

@GUte
21st February 2014, 09:00 PM
Hi Paul,

Have been busy with work etc and being a bit crook lately so the Patrol has been taking a back seat.

Still going real well though. The 18G/8cm is a great turbo.

I have sprung a leak in the intercooler which looks to be one of the hoses between intercooler and heat exchanger. I'll look into that in the morn.

I have a spare inlet manifold that I want to combine an intercooler with when I get a chance. I'll clean up the exhaust manifold also.

We have a local fella who does castings etc and he was saying he could do a cast airbox that takes the panel filter quite cheap. With castings you can work flows a bit better. Hopefully some time in the near future I can look into this.

MudRunnerTD
21st February 2014, 09:18 PM
Hi Paul,

Have been busy with work etc and being a bit crook lately so the Patrol has been taking a back seat.

Still going real well though. The 18G/8cm is a great turbo.

I have sprung a leak in the intercooler which looks to be one of the hoses between intercooler and heat exchanger. I'll look into that in the morn.

I have a spare inlet manifold that I want to combine an intercooler with when I get a chance. I'll clean up the exhaust manifold also.

We have a local fella who does castings etc and he was saying he could do a cast airbox that takes the panel filter quite cheap. With castings you can work flows a bit better. Hopefully some time in the near future I can look into this.

Hi @GUte,

Mate that W/A cooler looks great mate, whee is the heat exchanger mounted? A build thread for your ute would be great or some more pics posted here would be great.

Cheers Darren

@GUte
21st February 2014, 10:16 PM
Hi @GUte,

Mate that W/A cooler looks great mate, whee is the heat exchanger mounted? A build thread for your ute would be great or some more pics posted here would be great.

Cheers Darren

Hi Daz,

Dunno bout a build thread mate, the 'ol ute is a bit tatty these days!!! I'll think about that one mate.

Al.

@GUte
21st February 2014, 10:23 PM
Matt, howz that Garrett coming along?

PMC
22nd February 2014, 07:19 AM
Matt, howz that Garrett coming along?

G'day Al,

It is a credit to you, nice piece of workmanship on the Patrol mate!

Have you had the chance to dyno tune your Patrol to date?

If you have is it possible to share your results with us?

PS, how is your health, i hope things are going fine for you and your family now.

Regards,

Paul

Winnie
22nd February 2014, 07:43 AM
Hey Paul,

I've never been chasing 200kW mate, I haven't made any changes with my setup because I am so happy with it at the moment. My fuel pump is on its way out and when it goes I will look into tickling it up a bit but for now I am happy.

PMC
22nd February 2014, 08:25 AM
Hey Paul,

I've never been chasing 200kW mate, I haven't made any changes with my setup because I am so happy with it at the moment. My fuel pump is on its way out and when it goes I will look into tickling it up a bit but for now I am happy.

Dear Winnie,

You can have it all, become a sex slave at the Mardi Gras and you could be driving around with a 1000hp Patrol or a Ferrari 458. lol

PS, Repco do exchange rear ends. lol

Regards,

RLI

@GUte
22nd February 2014, 09:23 AM
G'day Al,

It is a credit to you, nice piece of workmanship on the Patrol mate!

Have you had the chance to dyno tune your Patrol to date?

If you have is it possible to share your results with us?

PS, how is your health, i hope things are going fine for you and your family now.

Regards,

Paul

I haven't dyno tuned it yet mate. I thought I'd get the inlet and exhaust manifolds done prior. If I dyno'd it prior to the manifolds being done I'd be thinking, what if!

I want to implement the W2A into the inlet manifold by way of a bolt on flange to the new plenum. At the other end I'll make a curved funnel type inlet from the turbo. I need to purchase a new intercooler core. Which one I'm not sure atm. I'll think about this one.

I need to buy some alum sheet in the right grade and thickness and get into it. Anyone know the grade of alum used?

Yeah the ticker is out of normal rhythm so I need to stick my tongue into a power socket for a zap to kick it back into it's correct rhythm. :thumbup:

Ben-e-boy
22nd February 2014, 09:30 AM
I think a 7000 series aluminium 7075 could be wrong

PMC
22nd February 2014, 11:30 PM
I haven't dyno tuned it yet mate. I thought I'd get the inlet and exhaust manifolds done prior. If I dyno'd it prior to the manifolds being done I'd be thinking, what if!

I want to implement the W2A into the inlet manifold by way of a bolt on flange to the new plenum. At the other end I'll make a curved funnel type inlet from the turbo. I need to purchase a new intercooler core. Which one I'm not sure atm. I'll think about this one.

I need to buy some alum sheet in the right grade and thickness and get into it. Anyone know the grade of alum used?

Yeah the ticker is out of normal rhythm so I need to stick my tongue into a power socket for a zap to kick it back into it's correct rhythm. :thumbup:

G'day Al,

I am looking forward to see what you come up with.

PS, good luck and keep us informed mate!

Regards,

Paul