PDA

View Full Version : manual or auto locking hubs.

Pezzer
25th June 2013, 06:43 PM
I have the opportunity to swap my diff out of the SWB, with the one in my donor Lwb, IS THIS WORTH WHILE.:Yahoo!:

NissanGQ4.2
25th June 2013, 06:58 PM
Depends on you driving style to as which one would be better suited to yourself

A lot of people believe manuals are stronger than the auto hubs

If u don't go off road ever weekend go auto's, if going every weekend go the manual hubs

Sent Via MC Hammer Time

Drewboyaus
25th June 2013, 07:17 PM
Manual hubs for me....

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

growler2058
25th June 2013, 07:18 PM
Manual here

Pezzer
25th June 2013, 07:19 PM
Yeh just trying to make as much use of the donor patrol as is sensible

NissanGQ4.2
25th June 2013, 07:20 PM
I have auto hubs converted to manual :animierte-smilies-f

taslucas
25th June 2013, 07:37 PM
Yeh just trying to make as much use of the donor patrol as is sensible

Id go manual. The only downside is that you have to get out of the car to put them in before hitting the tracks but when they're in, they're in.
Otherwise you could just take them out of the donor car and put them in the shed. That way you can change them over in the future if you want.

Pezzer
25th June 2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks stay with manuals.

soronation
26th June 2013, 12:42 AM
Auto = problems

Winnie
26th June 2013, 07:33 AM
Sorry but why are you swapping the whole diff to get the manual hubs?
I've had both, never ever had a drama with the auto hubs. I do feel more comfortable with the manual hubs though, it was always in the back of my mind that the autos might go twang.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

Pezzer
26th June 2013, 07:57 AM
I felt sure that a small shudder I have whilst coasting was in the front setup so bugger it I was going to change the lot.

Bloodyaussie
26th June 2013, 09:26 AM
I felt sure that a small shudder I have whilst coasting was in the front setup so bugger it I was going to change the lot.

Mate you could be swapping one problem for another????

Sanouske
26th June 2013, 05:19 PM
Hub wise, most seem to prefer the manual hubs. Meant to less headachy. But its user dependent. just keep them as a spare...

Pezzer
26th June 2013, 07:38 PM
Nah leaving them in the patrol

chilenito
9th October 2013, 11:32 PM
Hi,
just putting my personal experience here,
when i bough my GU the guy who had it before me did know nothing about mechanics and use to take it to a 4x4 mechanic,
after a few months having it a grind noise on my left wheel starting to happen.. blah blah cutting the story short my auto hub was all rusted and it destroy it self..
got a new second hand set (YES IM LAZY AND I DONT WANT TO GET OUT OF THE CAR!!) if you read the service manual it notes that the hubs need to be pulled out and check for grease level every 5000 kilometers (i rather doing this than getting off the car in the rain/mud) if you go through water redo/check them again now i done 1000's of kilometers of pure off road probably done 90% of black runs in victoria and they still going strong.. (touching wood.. i still have my old right side seating there in the garage somewhere...)

klompy
12th November 2013, 12:21 PM
They all seem to be Nissan tough so it comes down to personal prefence,I like my factory manual hubs.

04OFF
12th November 2013, 02:39 PM
if you read the service manual it notes that the hubs need to be pulled out and check for grease level every 5000 kilometers (i rather doing this than getting off the car in the rain/mud) if you go through water redo/check them again now i done 1000's of kilometers of pure off road

I suspect 99% of auto hub failures are incorrect maintainence, and or incorrect usage.

Too much grease seems to be a common maintainence problem, and clowns that leave hubs on auto, then travel terrain hard enough to get a wheel off the ground, then when they break, blame the hub as a weak POS. :1087:

Chubba
11th June 2014, 11:42 AM
Is the manual locking hub just a straight swap for the autos. I mean do you just unbolt the auto hub then just bolt the manual hub straight back on?

Col.T
11th June 2014, 07:03 PM
G'day Pez,
had both and ignoring the diff question, the manual hubs are totally fail safe whilst the autos have given me grief.
And still are.
Regards,
Col