PDA

View Full Version : Towing a caravan with Steinbauer chips and 2.75" Beaudesert exhaust

Gypsy_Pete
25th June 2013, 02:51 PM
Hi all, I'll be towing a 1700 kg (probably 2000kg loaded) van with my 2010 GU patrol 3.0lt auto. I've just had the chip and exhaust installed in order to increase towing ability.

The 4WD shop says that the 2.75" exhaust won't cause turbo boost issues on the CRD engine. So at this stage I have not gone the extra $700 to get gauges and a pillar pod.

I've read about turbo boost problems and excessive exhaust gas temperatures on sustained load. What is the best way to ensure I don't have problems when towing? Should I always disengage overdrive for instance? We generally have break stops every couple of hours and I'll let the engine keep running for a minute or two.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

create
25th June 2013, 02:57 PM
At an absolute minimum you need to have a EGT gauge. They should be standard on all turbo diesels! When you are towing you need to watch it constantly. Yes there is some evidence to suggest that a 2.75" is better for boost control but I think jury is out on that one.

rex
25th June 2013, 03:16 PM
egt gauge at least mate I tow van about 2t with 2008 crd manual watch the gauge like a hawk wont beleave how hot the gas gets if your not carefull

kevin07
25th June 2013, 03:30 PM
egt like others say is a must no one I know has boost issues with the 2.75 but you should really consider the egt and add an ultragauge does boost eng temp and many many more gauges also clears eng faults if any occur. good weapon to have while your out an about. after that maybe consider blocking the egr

threedogs
25th June 2013, 03:44 PM
X4 you need to "see" whats going on with your motor in advance so you can correct your driving style to suit.
If EGTs start to climb you can back off or whatever but at least you know whats going on, I'd be fitting EGT and water temp
if doing heaps of towing.

Steve4wdin
25th June 2013, 04:06 PM
I'll throw a spanner in the works, You shouldn't really tow in over drive. Not good for gear box. Second. Don't drive the Patrol like its stolen and you won't need gauges. There a nice to have not a must have.
Steve

Drew
25th June 2013, 05:25 PM
I tow a 2t van, treat paddy like your mrs and she'll be right but ....

Get at least an egt gauge
A scanguage
I have a 2.75" zorst

Then drive by the gauges like the others say.

Remember she's a 4cyl, she's not gonna belt around with the van and if its not relatively flat no 5th

Oh I also put Chaz's torque converter lock in and that makes a difference even when not towing

Lonicus
25th June 2013, 05:28 PM
I've noticed absolutely no difference in boost from factory after putting on the 2.75 Beaudesert. However, given that you've also put a chip in as well I'd be inclined to get the gauges to make sure all is well as you go.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

Drew
25th June 2013, 05:48 PM
Funny how it works, that was the first thing I put on and I noticed mine had more zip

Gypsy_Pete
25th June 2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks threedogs, I was looking at a similar set up using Autometer gauges today. The gauges and pillar pod would set me back $410 which I don't mind but I've been quoted an extra $300+ for installation. I know that $710 is a lot cheaper than an engine but on top of the $3,000 for the chip & exhaust, it was an expense I just don't need right now. Are my prices over quoted?

Gypsy_Pete
25th June 2013, 06:42 PM
Thanks Drew. Funny how it works, that's exactly the van I will be towing.

I mentioned your advice about "treating Paddy like your Mrs" to my wife as a possible solution. Her advice to me was "You'd better get a gauge"

Gypsy_Pete
25th June 2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks to all for your quick responses. I didn't think I'd get any until tonight. It looks as though I'll have to get myself an EGT gauge at least. I like the twin gauges in a pillar pod idea. I'll get back onto eBay and search.

So, Overdrive off, slow down if the exhaust temp gets high (what, about 500 deg C?) and delayed shut down at the end of a couple of hours towing.

threedogs
25th June 2013, 07:06 PM
Have to disagree about not needing gauges if driven correctly.
When the red engine light comes on damage is done I'd like to
shut it down before then. Gauges are the best way to monitor engine function .
IMO If a hose is going to fail it will still fail regardless of driving style.
Low water warnings are another good mod, If you have gauges you can "see"
You're driving blind and kidding yourself without them, just extra insurance, M2cW

Gypsy_Pete
25th June 2013, 09:05 PM
Do you know of any suppliers in the west of Melbourne where I could buy a boost and an EGT gauge? I've got a pillar pod coming from Albury but the gauges seem to be from QLD or NSW. I need them here (Ballarat) by Friday.

Thanks for you posts.

boots
25th June 2013, 10:37 PM
Pete not sure about west but VPW in cooper st epping stock gauges . check out the website . make sure you get degrees celcious EGT and 0 to 30 PSI boost gauge .

MEGOMONSTER
25th June 2013, 11:14 PM
Gauges for sure, when I took the boat from Eden to Khancoban across the blue mountains over Kosziosko, I was only driving by EGT gauge, cos I didn't want to go over the 650 degree mark, which I was getting close too, and very often, especially the really steep bits. Which was almost all the way up. 80ks over big straight climbs would keep temp high but steady.

Steve4wdin
26th June 2013, 06:38 AM
Have to disagree about not needing gauges if driven correctly.
When the red engine light comes on damage is done I'd like to
shut it down before then. Gauges are the best way to monitor engine function .
IMO If a hose is going to fail it will still fail regardless of driving style.
Low water warnings are another good mod, If you have gauges you can "see"
You're driving blind and kidding yourself without them, just extra insurance, M2cW

The earlier patrols, pre crd like yours 3D I would say certainly do need gauges. I tow a pretty heavy camper, and don't drive like it is stollen. On the big hills I don't try keeping the car at full speed, I back off and let the engine "cruise" up the hill. I don't say not to put in gauges, just not essencial. If you are driving to gauges I think you will find you are pushing to hard. Don't get me wrong, I have now put in monitoring gauges myself and found my "driving style" didn't have to change at all.

june
26th June 2013, 08:00 AM
i have the DI ZD30 and tow 3 tonne. gauges for me as your driving style will change especially when climbing hills. I also have manual lock-up torque convertor and heavy duty valve body which makes you drive it like a manual and will drop those egt temps.

Gypsy_Pete
26th June 2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks Boots. I called them and they are out of stock of the EGT. So I've ordered both EGT & Boost from eBay. Should be here by Friday.

Drew
26th June 2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks Drew. Funny how it works, that's exactly the van I will be towing.

I mentioned your advice about "treating Paddy like your Mrs" to my wife as a possible solution. Her advice to me was "You'd better get a gauge"

We're not married to the same woman are we lol

Lonicus
26th June 2013, 05:27 PM
Installation of the gauges isn't too hard, RLI posted a very good and detailed thread, with pics, about how to do it. I followed his guide when I did mine and everything works like it's meant to.

I'm on the iPad ATM, someone else might be able to dig up a link to the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app