PDA

View Full Version : after market cruise control

jman69
22nd June 2013, 07:27 PM
hi , i'm tossing up weather or not to fit a after market cruise control to my troll, it's a 98 gu 2.8 diesel. could other members offer up any advice? pro or con please. thankyou.

Morton
22nd June 2013, 08:43 PM
no but I am interested to know aswell

mudski
23rd June 2013, 12:12 AM
TD's got an aftermarket kit fitted in his trol. Can't remember teh brand of it though...

happygu
23rd June 2013, 08:44 AM
I had the Autron one one my 3 litre, as it works with the fly by wire throttle controls.

Not sure about the 2.8, but you could check with them.

Controls integrate into the steering wheel like they are factory fitted.

Mic

oddkid82
23rd June 2013, 10:21 AM
I had the Autron one one my 3 litre, as it works with the fly by wire throttle controls.

Mic

How do you find it? I have just bought a 2005 3l and wanting to put cruise control in,

Wtf_mate_lol
23rd June 2013, 12:55 PM
I have an after market on my 3.0L 2000 gu patrol. It's wired in with indicator circuit and works fine :). Sure makes those long trip easier!

mudski
23rd June 2013, 01:00 PM

Mic
Thats the one TD has. I should be doing this aswell but too many things first in line to do...

BigRAWesty
23rd June 2013, 02:56 PM
I asked a while back and the senses was the AP60 unit as best bang for buck.
Ill be installing one on my td42 soon. Seams a relative easy install

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

jman69
23rd June 2013, 06:17 PM
ok thanks guys, the AP60 sounds like the one to go for.

4by
24th June 2013, 10:57 PM
yep fitted normal autron into 3.0 drive by wire and did a few mods to make it work and also into 4.2 turbo. Easy to fit and great for the long freeway trips. Go for it.

happygu
25th June 2013, 12:20 AM
How do you find it? I have just bought a 2005 3l and wanting to put cruise control in,

Oddkid,

I found it to be fantastic, and the only reason I didn't put it in the next one, is that it came standard. I love cruise control on long trips, as it makes the drive so much easier.

There was a small degree of surging, where it would drop a small amount under the set speed on a gradient, and then gain speed over the set limit once you crested the hill. This seems to be a little less on the factory cruise, but it is a long time since I have had that car ( sold in 2007 ).

Mic

GrumpyOldFart
25th June 2013, 12:21 AM
Is it possible to fit a genuine cruise control from a wrecked Patrol?
Do all Patrols have the wiring, especially the utes and just need some modules and bits to fly?

daggy
25th June 2013, 09:28 AM
I have I think its a Command Cruise fitted a few weeks ago. While the GU 2006 model is a fly by wire, the cruise is unable to talk with the Nissan computer and it still needs a cable to pull the accelerator pedal. Command have a special bracket made that fits inside the engine bay to facilitate this. Control buttons are similar to genuine and fit onto the steering wheel. I love my cruise control, especially on those long highway runs, less stress consistently watching the speedo, the new ones have a very low varience only around 2k's. I believe that around the 2005, 2006 there was no factory cruise control.

Mikees
10th July 2013, 01:51 AM
I've had an Autron fitted since new in an 05 ZD30. No the best unit. Surges over hills and when you set it, only the resume the original speed a few moments later. Also can be problematic with bad earth. Fitting two earths at least made it work consistently but still with surging issues.

threedogs
10th July 2013, 08:08 AM
Sorry don't know how I missed this thread, Yes I run the Autron CC, great unit easy to use holds speeds well.
small control panel on inside of RHS of steering wheel the size of matchbox. pricewise around $700 fitted, but check first.
Great for HWY,

mopper
27th July 2013, 12:09 PM
My 02 3L diesel turbo had one fitted when I bought it, it is very handy, it does surge slightly when operated I allow for this when setting speed. I have found out it does not operate when lights are on ...possibly a safety feature to stop you falling asleep at night?

happygu
27th July 2013, 12:46 PM
My 02 3L diesel turbo had one fitted when I bought it, it is very handy, it does surge slightly when operated I allow for this when setting speed. I have found out it does not operate when lights are on ...possibly a safety feature to stop you falling asleep at night?

Mopper - it should work with the lights on, and I don't know why it wouldn't....

Mine have always worked whenever you turn them on over the minimum operational speed

mopper
28th July 2013, 10:51 AM
thanks happy , it seems strange , took a while to work out why it didn't work in the mornings going to work! I read that some newer cruise controls don't operate when the window wipers are turned on. This is a safety feature as if the cars aquaplanes in the wet the cruise control accelerates , there has apparently been a couple of deaths caused by the car being shot fwd by the cruise control!!.

LachDiggityDog
30th July 2013, 09:48 PM
I am also keen to fit cruise control what sort of price would I be looking at?

BigRAWesty
30th July 2013, 10:13 PM
Hi mate. The AP60 setup is available in.a.complete kit off eBay. It seams a relatively easy install. A few boys have done it, I hope to soon..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)