PDA

View Full Version : Squealing Noise!

modustollens
21st June 2013, 11:00 PM
I had a new engine installed. Works great. It is nice to be bouncing down the road and roaring through the bush.

But the other day the fan belt snapped. Only one - the second one was pulled off the pulley but a few minutes with my tools and it was re-installed and I was driving away. So, I bought two new belts and installed them.

Then I went out in the rain to get the truck muddy. Water and mud was everywhere and I was very happy!

Then the squealing started.

I reviewed the specs in the manual about belt deflection and so on. I tightened the belts. No joy - squealing continued. I loosed them, still squealing. I tried the cake of soap trick. Still squealing. I bought some belt dressing - still squealing.

But now I do not think it is the belt. I think it is the fan.

The fan wobbles on the shaft and it will squeal when I turn the blades by hand when the engine is off.

Is there a bearing between the shaft and the fan that could be causing this squealing? The fan will easily spin on the shaft but it is out of alignment. I noticed some bent, soft metal rings on the shaft just behind where the shaft enters the fan assembly. This had me thinking that there was a bearing or something between the fan and the shaft that has failed.

The engine is not overheating.

I am thinking the fan is spinning at a different speed than the shaft. This noise only occurs at idle. As soon as I am driving the noise goes away. I feel like a douche when stopped at a light and this loud screeching draws everyone's attention.

Plus, since I am an English guy in Kazakhstan and this truck is super old it is hard to find parts.

It drove me crazy this afternoon! I pulled off the belts and tried each one alone to try and isolate the problem. Poured water on the each belt in turn too. Even when running with only one belt the sound was still present.

Is there any stop-gap tweak I can employ to stop the squeal until I can find a new part? Maybe some sort of shim or a hose clamp tightened on the shaft and flush with the fan will keep it and the shaft moving at the same speed all the time? Some oil squirted in the right spot?

Suggestions?

MT.

Alitis007
21st June 2013, 11:42 PM
From your description mate it sounds like the fan clutch has let go. Your best bet is to replace it as there is no quick fix that i am aware of, maybe there's another member that may know of one .

MudRunnerTD
22nd June 2013, 12:12 AM
you can have a go at rebuilding it given your in Kazakhstan!

I have some pics on my iphone and will come back here and post the internals for you mate. The oil you need is a Toyota part number, if you ahve toyota dealers there then you should be able to oder in the new oil. At worst though some castor oil of alike or even better a Silicon based oil and you ro n a winner.

There is not a bearing in there but you may actually be dry and this could be causing your trouble.

Check out he pics in the next post, they may or may not help.

MudRunnerTD
22nd June 2013, 12:21 AM

MudRunnerTD
22nd June 2013, 12:23 AM
The clutch fan is a temp sensitive device that opens at a set temp via the centre spring and will allow that oil to engage the clutch. For $12 it's worth a shot.

happygu
22nd June 2013, 09:12 AM
Sounds like you may have mud in one of your bearings.

Take off both belts and spin all pulleys by hand, and make sure that they all spin smoothly, with no catching, tight spots or grinding.

It may not squeak, as the parts aren't spinning as fast, but you should be able to find a dodgy bearing this way.

Mic

modustollens
27th June 2013, 01:33 PM
Not sure what the problem was; and I was preparing to do some work as suggested above. But the squeal has stopped; I don't why nor do I really care. So, thanks for the help. Hopefully the noise will stay away and I can ride in silence!

MT

modustollens
25th September 2013, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the pics and the ideas. The fan has finally given up the ghost - it is wobbling on the shaft and making a horrendous rattle and not just a squeal. So, at the first opportunity I will take it off following the procedure described in the manual I downloaded here. Looks like a fairly simply task.

I doubt I will be able to fix or replace it immediately though. I don't think I will have a problem running without it - the temperatures here are already cold enough to see one's breath and every day it is getting colder. Though if I see the temperature getting high - say at a stop light, I'll have to find a solution.

Thanks for the help. I'll report y progress and some pics of its mangled insides for some advice on a repair.

MT