PDA

View Full Version : GU Iv Steering Wheel etc

liveyk7
21st June 2013, 11:58 AM
G'Day Peeps,

A quick question by a noob.
I am looking to replace my 2004 GU IV steering wheel with a 2008 on Pathfinder Steering wheel.
Reasons - Much better feeling steering wheel IMO (had a 2012 pathy before the troll) , Leather and the Steering controls.
Can someone tell me
1) Will this pathy wheel fit the gu iv?
2) Are the steering controls a pain to setup to work with the troll? (say even with a steering control compatible after market unit?)
3) If i buy a pathy wheel without the airbag, will the airbag on the troll fit it?
4) Overall installation experience? Tough job? If someone else does it, how much may it cost?

Cheers
Jay

MudRunnerTD
21st June 2013, 12:58 PM
not sure mate, will watch with interest though as taking a wheel off with an airbag could gt interesting. Is your GUIV wheel leather bound? if it is then i might be interested in buying it if you can figure this out. Mine has really bad leather on it and the whole top section has split open and i have cut it off. New wheel would be nice.

Rumcajs
21st June 2013, 04:59 PM
You have no hope me thinks and will be making your vehicle illegal as well.
For a start you'll need contact reel which I have no idea where you could source/locate from to suit non airbag steering wheel. SRS airbags are integral part however they are separable so challenge would be to find steering wheel which accepts GU airbag.
Airbag is removed first and than the steering wheel. Make sure that existing contact reel is not turned as it is precisely wind up/in to go with lock to lock turning circle otherwise you'll just rip the ribbon cable to pieces.
So unless Pathy's airbag and its contact reel is the same as Patrol's than you gonna have a lot of issues.
Cheers

liveyk7
21st June 2013, 11:07 PM
MudrunnerTD - Mate can certainly give you this when i find one.. but its not leather me thinks.. just the plain vinyl .. its a ST.. so nothing fancy ;(

Rumcajs - What if i bought a pathy steering wheel with an airbag? Would that then be an issue? My troll does have airbags so no need to find a contact reel to suit non airbag wheel. Also when i meant pathy wheel without the airbag i meant from a wrecker ;)
BUT a pathy airbag is $1250!!!!! grrrr....

Anyone who has a Ti GU model, how is the leather steering wheel on that? I think i need to find one of them with the steering controls..

liveyk7
22nd June 2013, 05:59 PM
Gday folks

Found a Ti wheel!!!!
But doesnt have an airbag.. its frim a wrecker. Would my existing aiebag from my st be comp with this??

Also what about the wiring to the wheel? Will I have to do all that up?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

MudRunnerTD
22nd June 2013, 06:02 PM
Gday folks

Found a Ti wheel!!!!
But doesnt have an airbag.. its frim a wrecker. Would my existing aiebag from my st be comp with this??

Also what about the wiring to the wheel? Will I have to do all that up?

What is the difference between a TI wheel and your ST wheel? I have an ST and it is leather wrapped from factory.

Also interesting, how much from the wreckers for a new wheel mate?

happygu
22nd June 2013, 06:33 PM
I would think that there is only one airbag between all the models in the steering wheel.

Nissan was a little pressed for cash when they introduced the GU with airbags .....

Mic

liveyk7
22nd June 2013, 07:46 PM
Hey mrtd
The difference is a leather wheel plus the steering controls.. :).
I badly need them..

Was quoted $150..

Gonna pick it up sometime next week.

liveyk7
22nd June 2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks happy

I am now happy.. but would the wiring for thr stereo controls already be there on a st??

mudski
22nd June 2013, 10:45 PM
Firstly even IF you find out the spline size is the same. The clock spring is where you may come unstuck.Unless you keen on doing electrical mods to make it work.
I fitted a leather GU4 wheel to my GU2. Clock spring was totally different. So I had to take the wiring from the GU4 clock spring and adapt it to the GU2 clock spring. The Air bag, horn and cruise wiring was totally different. But I got it all to work in the end.

MudRunnerTD
23rd June 2013, 01:00 AM
Hey mrtd
The difference is a leather wheel plus the steering controls.. :).
I badly need them..

Was quoted $150..

Gonna pick it up sometime next week.

My ST wheel has the cruise control in the wheel but no radio controls.

happygu
23rd June 2013, 08:39 AM
You can add the controls to the ST wheel, if that makes it easier....

Mic

mudski
23rd June 2013, 01:02 PM
My ST wheel has the cruise control in the wheel but no radio controls.
Mine too. I want to find the radio controls to add to my GU4 wheel if anyone knows where to get it from.

liveyk7
24th June 2013, 02:02 PM
You can add the controls to the ST wheel, if that makes it easier....

Mic

This would be awesome.. so I buy the full wheel and just remove the controls?
What about the wiring?
My wheel does not have leather tho.. crappy vinyl.

liveyk7
5th July 2013, 10:55 AM
Can someone yell me.about the wiring? Woukd there be any wiring to the steering wheel already? Or would that have to be done too?

liveyk7
5th July 2013, 10:56 AM
You in vic mudski? ??
If so pm me and ill tell ya..

mudski
6th July 2013, 12:00 AM
I am in Vic bud. What will you tell me?

liveyk7
9th July 2013, 02:49 PM
I am in Vic bud. What will you tell me?

The controls? ;)

threedogs
9th July 2013, 03:03 PM
My 04 ST has no switches, zip nada, on it except aftermarket cruise control inside RHS.
Mark throw up a pic if possible, cheers.

liveyk7
9th July 2013, 09:17 PM
My 04 ST has no switches, zip nada, on it except aftermarket cruise control inside RHS.
Mark throw up a pic if possible, cheers.

Exact same as mine. So im just waiting to hear/see if anyone has noticed any wires near the sterring wheel to connect up audio controls from another gu model.. or even a full steering wheel..