PDA

View Full Version : TD42T Turbo Upgrade...

Muttley
21st June 2013, 12:06 AM
G'day all,

anyone got any idea what sort of turbo would be suitable to upgrade from standard factory on my 99 GU td42t??

is it really worth it?
would an intercooler be more cost effective?
tips or ideas?

she's done 285k...

thanks in advance guys

89gqpatrol4x4
21st June 2013, 07:01 PM
hey mate pm nissannewby he has upgraded his and loves it. I have been for a ride in it and it goes very well for diesel! also look at his thread my luxury ride

Winnie
21st June 2013, 07:36 PM
Nissan Newby has been amazing with all the advice he has given me. I have ordered a Garrett GTX2863 with his advice and should be going on this weekend.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

BigRAWesty
23rd June 2013, 03:36 PM
G'day all,

anyone got any idea what sort of turbo would be suitable to upgrade from standard factory on my 99 GU td42t??

is it really worth it?
would an intercooler be more cost effective?
tips or ideas?

she's done 285k...

thanks in advance guys

Out of curiosity, what would happen to the stock setup?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

AB
23rd June 2013, 06:40 PM
Out of curiosity, what would happen to the stock setup?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Damn it...lol

I was just about to ask this question. I have an old mate who barely knows what a computer looks like is after a stock HT18 set up for his N/A 1990 GQ...LMAO

nissannewby
23rd June 2013, 07:05 PM
I still have mine :).

AB
23rd June 2013, 07:20 PM
I still have mine :).

PM sent...lol

Muttley
23rd June 2013, 08:10 PM
thanks guys, but not sure I want to do it yet... not overly keen on Garret stuff... not seen any of them more than 5yrs old that don't have issues yet...

nissannewby
23rd June 2013, 08:17 PM
What do you want from it bloke? You can get a little more out of the standard setup and get it working a little better but its hard to give you advice without knowing where you want to end up. If your not a fan of garretts than a mitsubishi turbo is really the only other option.

Muttley
23rd June 2013, 08:29 PM
well, to be honest i'm not really sure - more performance would be nice, but not if I have to worry about reliability. actually been thinking today I might go supercharger?? probably ridiculous... need to do more research - the mob that rebuilt my injector pump reckon I can go more on the std turbo too... i'll wait untill intercool her and get her breathing better before I make a call...

thanks to everyone...

DieselSmart
24th June 2013, 09:00 AM
The standard turbo running 14-15psi will get you around a 30% gain in power that is reliable with the addition of an intercooler.

You can get an intercooler setup, injector pump retune, boost controller for standard turbo for less than $3000. This sort of setup will guarantee reliability and give you a very noticeable difference in KW and Torque.

If you want to upgrade your turbo, you will also have to upgrade your injector pump as the standard one will only go to about 120rwkw without having to worry about reliability..

You also need to purchase a new manifold or an adapter plate for your standard manifold to support the new turbo, you will also need new oil/coolant lines for the turbo. Sometimes you may need to also change intake pipes/ intercooler pipes.

hope that helps

Muttley
24th June 2013, 09:00 PM
The standard turbo running 14-15psi will get you around a 30% gain in power that is reliable with the addition of an intercooler.

You can get an intercooler setup, injector pump retune, boost controller for standard turbo for less than $3000. This sort of setup will guarantee reliability and give you a very noticeable difference in KW and Torque.

If you want to upgrade your turbo, you will also have to upgrade your injector pump as the standard one will only go to about 120rwkw without having to worry about reliability..

You also need to purchase a new manifold or an adapter plate for your standard manifold to support the new turbo, you will also need new oil/coolant lines for the turbo. Sometimes you may need to also change intake pipes/ intercooler pipes.

hope that helps

thanks heaps - that really explains the options... think i'll stick with std gear but run the higher boost - then fir an intercooler etc as per your comments...

nissannewby
24th June 2013, 09:10 PM
And you should be able to get what he has suggested for not a lot more than $1000.

There are heaps of options available. Have you fitted a 3" exhaust and some gauges?

Dont be to worried about reliability with these engines they are built tough. A mate of mine has an 2000 model that has been running 180+rwkw for most of its life and its gone past the 400,000km mark and has never had an issue.

You wont need to upgrade the injector pump with a turbo upgrade. There are plenty of options that are better than the factory unit that work incredibly well with the standard injector pump. Its only when your getting serious about power and torque that extra fuelling will be required. (this is 200rwhp stuff though)

BigRAWesty
24th June 2013, 09:56 PM
PM sent...lol

Damit...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Avo
25th June 2013, 10:30 AM
i need to ask a question.When I first bought my car I went over it and replaced a lot of parts. while I was doing that I had the turbo reconditioned.That was about 3/4 years ago so should I be looking at doing this again soon.Proabably only done 50k since the rebuild.And also what are the benefits of a intercooler.i don't have boost and gauges as the garrett turbo I run has a wastegate(well I have come to that cause I remember the mechanics saying that when we were looking at it)

nissannewby
25th June 2013, 11:14 AM
i need to ask a question.When I first bought my car I went over it and replaced a lot of parts. while I was doing that I had the turbo reconditioned.That was about 3/4 years ago so should I be looking at doing this again soon.Proabably only done 50k since the rebuild.And also what are the benefits of a intercooler.i don't have boost and gauges as the garrett turbo I run has a wastegate(well I have come to that cause I remember the mechanics saying that when we were looking at it)

It should be right at 50k just do regular inspections on it or get your mechanic too inspect it for you.

Intercoolers (charge air cooler) cool the heated air compressed by your turbo. When you cool it you increase the density so more air can be pushed into the cylinder. They help keep combustion temps down and improve performance.

As for gauges, it doesn't matter if your turbo has a waste gate or not (99% of turbos fitted to a td42 have a waste gate), you can keep an eye on boost levels and temperatures. It's always a good idea to fit gauges when installing a turbo so you can keep an eye on it and drive to suit.

DieselSmart
25th June 2013, 03:09 PM
It should be right at 50k just do regular inspections on it or get your mechanic too inspect it for you.

Intercoolers (charge air cooler) cool the heated air compressed by your turbo. When you cool it you increase the density so more air can be pushed into the cylinder. They help keep combustion temps down and improve performance.

As for gauges, it doesn't matter if your turbo has a waste gate or not (99% of turbos fitted to a td42 have a waste gate), you can keep an eye on boost levels and temperatures. It's always a good idea to fit gauges when installing a turbo so you can keep an eye on it and drive to suit.

2nd this.

Boost gauge, oil temp and egt gauages are always a good investment. your turbo should last a lot longer than 50,000k's and as nissannewby said getting it inspected when the car is serviced will help keep peace of mind.

Usually an intercooler will offer you better fuel economy and slightly more power