PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise on a new 2013 Y61 Patrol Diesel Manual

TheLocksmith
20th June 2013, 10:18 PM
Drove up to Kinglake (Mason Falls), with the family, to put a few km on the Patrol, only 600km ATM.

Taking it easy to break her in for the first 1600 I was close to home and had to do a U turn. I notice a grind noise for a second on the LHS front when I was doing a hard, slow right U turn. When I got home I went out again and even around small roundabouts it does it. Not big roundabouts but hard turn ones.

They have tested other new Patrols in the yard and they are doing the same.

Anyone got ideas as Nissan is lost and having another look next week. Hope they find it, not into buying new cars that sound like wrecks.

MEGOMONSTER
20th June 2013, 11:06 PM
I think I was having the same noise, many have agreed it could be the auto hubs trying to engage.

Here's a link to my thread on the topic.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=19201

Happy reading.

TheLocksmith
21st June 2013, 12:52 AM
Thanks for that mego. It's a grind noise that happens only when your turning right.
It has a consistent sound, even does it just rolling out of gear. Speed doesn't effect it either?

Morton
22nd June 2013, 08:42 PM
sounds like auto hubs, does it sound like a coathanger dragging on the ground, if so its autohubs

TheLocksmith
22nd June 2013, 09:20 PM
One m8 said it had a tinny sound but I reckon it has a metal on metal sound.

Similar to when you first hear the noise when your brake pads are gone.

MEGOMONSTER
22nd June 2013, 09:24 PM
One m8 said it had a tinny sound but I reckon it has a metal on metal sound.

Similar to when you first hear the noise when your brake pads are gone.

Exact same noise I heard, thought it was the brake pads.

TheLocksmith
22nd June 2013, 09:29 PM
Exact same noise I heard, thought it was the brake pads.

I read the link you posted previously and mine just does it turning hardish right and the noise is in the left hand side wheel?

I didn't look for cyclist as I was scared to see how many are under there lol :)

mudski
22nd June 2013, 10:26 PM
Can the auto hubs mate. It seems Nissan haven't resolved this issue since my old clunker I drive. Can'em or convert them.

TheLocksmith
22nd June 2013, 10:34 PM
Can the auto hubs mate. It seems Nissan haven't resolved this issue since my old clunker I drive. Can'em or convert them.

Nissan has the 4by next week and has promised to fix the problem? I have read somewhere in canning them but what do u do to convert them?

Thanks

Ant

mudski
22nd June 2013, 10:49 PM
Nissan has the 4by next week and has promised to fix the problem? I have read somewhere in canning them but what do u do to convert them?

Thanks

Ant
Theres a locking plate in the hub. Takes about a minute, after you remove the hub, to remove this plate. Then the "Auto" selection is now "Unlocked" and "lock" is locked...
There is a thread on here somewhere about it.

hempo
1st July 2013, 02:04 PM
Hi ant any update? I noticed when I turned hard left the other day heard an odd noise from the right hand side. Have not been able to replicate though.

Cheers

threedogs
1st July 2013, 02:56 PM
Is this only affecting late model Common rail????

TheLocksmith
1st July 2013, 03:33 PM
Will find out this week, so will let you know

threedogs
1st July 2013, 03:42 PM
If Its making a noise it must be leaving a mark, now using your CSI skills from TV
You should have a part that has marks on it from the noise, shouldn't you.

TheLocksmith
1st July 2013, 06:07 PM
If Its making a noise it must be leaving a mark, now using your CSI skills from TV
You should have a part that has marks on it from the noise, shouldn't you.

Theory is good but looking around cant see anything. I can see TV is a main hobby of yours :) but life ain't always like your fav soaps :(

TheLocksmith
4th July 2013, 07:49 PM
Ok here is an update.

After 7hrs of Nissan having the vehicle I get a call and they said, "We are about to take off the hubs to explore further?"

I said, "What have you been doing all day with it? I thought you would have pulled them off in the first hour of looking?"

They said, "No we haven't touched anything yet but explored the problem all day by going around, checking things out?

When I got to the service department to get my rig back, the first comment was that they thought me adding the bullbar caused the grinding noise in the front. I told them it was reported weeks before any accessories were added!

I was then told they needed to keep it for a few days. I told them I have it in writing it is in all your 2013 Y61 so why can't they pull apart one of the new ones on the showroom floor?

I was then told it does it only when it is under heavy labour, under revering, going around corners. I told them it does it at any speed and is it the way I drive the vehicle causing the problem? I then said I'm a little upset you have been labouring my new vehicle!!! I don't drive it that way!!!!!!!!

I was then told they need to start removing things to investigate further.

First sign of problem and they started to blame the accessories

Will update again after next appointment :(!

crazyenough
4th July 2013, 11:25 PM
Typical of a service department ..... Always trying to blame everything else instead of trying to resolve the issue.

Oldmate1
5th July 2013, 01:06 PM
hi Locksmith
i have the same model as you and i dont have any noise in mine so it cant be all of them