PDA

View Full Version : My L28 needs more power!!

kiwibloke
20th June 2013, 01:01 AM
Hey guys,
So I have just purchased an 86 mk and it has the L28 with just over 240kms. Took it up into the sand dunes just north of Perth last weekend and had a great time 'trying' to get up some pretty sweet hills. The old L28 just didn't have the power needed on some of them. Even in low box in second it was labouring and bogging down.
It's such a well looked after and tidy truck I want to give it a new lease on life. Was thinking of a possible v8 transplant, but am unsure of the modifications needed. Will I be able to run the same gearbox and transfer case?
Then I found this site, and got reading all of the posts on the L28. A strong motor I hear? Loves to rev I hear? I haven't been giving it too much so far, have been a little wary. It already has extractors, but as far as I'm aware that's about it. Am open to suggestions on possible mods to the L28. For the price of an engine transplant, could I get some decent power out of it?
Any help would b greatly appreciated.
Greg.

growler2058
20th June 2013, 04:39 AM
G'day! Welcome aboard shiploads of good info here.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

MEGOMONSTER
20th June 2013, 06:08 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

happygu
20th June 2013, 09:35 AM
Hey guys,
So I have just purchased an 86 mk and it has the L28 with just over 240kms. Took it up into the sand dunes just north of Perth last weekend and had a great time 'trying' to get up some pretty sweet hills. The old L28 just didn't have the power needed on some of them. Even in low box in second it was labouring and bogging down.
It's such a well looked after and tidy truck I want to give it a new lease on life. Was thinking of a possible v8 transplant, but am unsure of the modifications needed. Will I be able to run the same gearbox and transfer case?
Then I found this site, and got reading all of the posts on the L28. A strong motor I hear? Loves to rev I hear? I haven't been giving it too much so far, have been a little wary. It already has extractors, but as far as I'm aware that's about it. Am open to suggestions on possible mods to the L28. For the price of an engine transplant, could I get some decent power out of it?
Any help would b greatly appreciated.
Greg.

Hi Greg,

Sand is a killer, as it sucks power out of all engines. Without being there, it is hard to say, but you may just need a little bit more momentum and / or right foot.

I went up pretty steep stuff in my old L28, and it seemed to go OK for me, and my brother had extractors on his, and went all over the place in it. He had his shorty for about 14 years and loved it.

Mic

threedogs
20th June 2013, 09:39 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum

GrumpyOldFart
20th June 2013, 03:17 PM
Welcome to the forum. Dig and you will find...if not ask!
Dru

Timmo
20th June 2013, 07:54 PM
welcome to the forum

Dhuck
21st June 2013, 06:55 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

TheLocksmith
21st June 2013, 07:02 AM
Welcome to the forum. I'm not a motor person so can't give you advice about the v8 but enjoy your new purchase.