PDA

View Full Version : Removal of front drivers side recovery point captive nut plate.

mudnut
19th June 2013, 04:05 PM
G,day, all. I have tried to remove the three captive nuts in the chassis, but the plate won't budge. I have even tried to pry it out, but don't want to damage the chassis. One of the nuts is stripped, and I also want to replace them all with 16mm nuts, prior to fitting the winch. Anyone have an suggestions to get the plate out?:1087:

Winnie
19th June 2013, 04:10 PM
Strange how one side has it and the other is not stuck on... If I remember right they are spot welded on and you might have to drill those out?

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

mudnut
19th June 2013, 04:19 PM
Bugger, didn't wanna drill the chassis. Before I bought it, someone had put long 1/2 inch bolts that slide through the three captive nuts, to another plate resting inside the chassis. Very odd.

threedogs
19th June 2013, 04:24 PM
Got a pic, you might need to re drill and tap to suit, Flying blind here

Winnie
19th June 2013, 04:27 PM
Bugger, didn't wanna drill the chassis. Before I bought it, someone had put long 1/2 inch bolts that slide through the three captive nuts, to another plate resting inside the chassis. Very odd.

That is odd, maybe they were just using what they had at the time?

mudnut
19th June 2013, 04:28 PM
No pics, sorry. I'll have another go at it tomorrow. I had to put it all back together to make it drivable.

threedogs
19th June 2013, 04:31 PM
You saying the plate with the OE hook is stuck to the chassis
after you remove bolts??
On a GQ captive nuts on drivers side only,
other side has the holes but no captive nuts

liftlid
19th June 2013, 05:31 PM
you could try to chisel the nuts off the inside, I think they are only tack welded. mine came off easily.

mudnut
19th June 2013, 06:17 PM
The hook is off. It is just the captive nuts welded to the plate attached to the inside of the chassis. 3D. I am just trying to upgrade them to 16mm to fit the winch and after market recovery points, because one nut is stripped. I will bite the bullet and chisel the plate off.

threedogs
19th June 2013, 06:23 PM
Spot drill where it's been spot welded if you can see where.
then later you can re spot new plate in situ.

Drewboyaus
19th June 2013, 06:49 PM
Mate, is it deeezz nutz you are having trouble with?30482

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

mudnut
19th June 2013, 07:10 PM
Yeah, dems da ones, welded inside the chassis.

BigRAWesty
19th June 2013, 07:13 PM
Have a close look inside, as my captive nut plate also picks up a bolt under the body mount..
Dunno why, but it does..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Drewboyaus
19th June 2013, 07:24 PM
Mate,
I don't think they're welded.
I reckon there is a bracket that slides onto the chassis rail.
I'll go and have a look at mine again in daylight but the holes line up with the ARB bullbar mounting kit, and that slides onto/into the chassis rail.

Drewboyaus
19th June 2013, 07:46 PM
Have a close look inside, as my captive nut plate also picks up a bolt under the body mount..
Dunno why, but it does..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Same reason I'm pretty sure they're not welded in there.......

Winnie
19th June 2013, 07:57 PM
Mate,
I don't think they're welded.
I reckon there is a bracket that slides onto the chassis rail.
I'll go and have a look at mine again in daylight but the holes line up with the ARB bullbar mounting kit, and that slides onto/into the chassis rail.

Thats only on one side, the other side is spot welded.

mudnut
19th June 2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the replies, blokes. I'll have another squiz tomorrow.

krbrooking
19th June 2013, 10:07 PM
Worst comes to worst could you not drill the thread out completely and either re-tap or just put a longer bolt in and put nylock nut on the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

mudnut
19th June 2013, 10:13 PM
That's what I did but It is a mongrel to get the bolt properly tight. How did you go with your radio, mate?

patrolmq
20th June 2013, 09:06 AM
I'm pretty sure on my previous GQ one was spot welded. I think I broke the spot welds with a cold chisel and lump hammer.

happygu
20th June 2013, 10:11 AM
Worst comes to worst could you not drill the thread out completely and either re-tap or just put a longer bolt in and put nylock nut on the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

If you can't get it out, you can use a helicoil to make a new thread. That may end up the easiest solution.

Mic

mudnut
20th June 2013, 12:41 PM
Got the flamin' flu, will get stuck into it when
I
f
e
e
l
a
bit
better.

mudnut
20th June 2013, 05:17 PM
The sun was out, so I did the job. The plate was spot-welded in three places. Five of six bolts , all now 16mm hardened gal construction bolt and nuts, to handle the winch load :)

BigRAWesty
20th June 2013, 05:38 PM
Metric fine I hope?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

mudnut
20th June 2013, 05:46 PM
Na. I'm just happy not to have those 1/2 inch bolts in. I think it would take a lot to strip out three x16mm hardened nuts and bolts. I can always whack an extra nut on the remaining thread, but that would be over kill.

BigRAWesty
20th June 2013, 08:29 PM
Its not the bolts which give the strength.
If they were to take the side loading they would sheer no problem..
You need to use fine thread to get the correct torque on the bolts to supply adequate pressure between the plates so friction is the no.1 hold.
You may get it with standard thread but it'll be tough.
Ill try find the force you need to achieve..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

BigRAWesty
20th June 2013, 08:31 PM
You need to achieve 160 foot pound..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

mudnut
20th June 2013, 09:01 PM
Not a hard fix now I've got the plate out and all the holes to line up. The fine threads on the captive nuts all looked pretty bad too, so it would have been dangerous. I have no idea who or how they stuffed it all up. I can only suppose they over tightened the 14mm bolts. Is that 160ftl on each bolt or 160 for the whole recovery plate?