PDA

View Full Version : Back in the mix

Knightskeyes
18th June 2013, 04:13 PM
Had my front end reconditioned at last. New steering damper, drag link and rod, radius arm bushes and wheel alignment and wheel balance drives really well now and doesn't appear to be suffering the patrol wobbles anymore, see what happens after all the new parts have worn in a bit. The guy who did my wheel balance doesn't like Mickey Thompson tyres. Anyone got any info on them? these are my first set (6) and they have lasted me a 100k so far.

threedogs
18th June 2013, 04:35 PM
What Mickey Ts you running, Any tyre fitter worth his salt will be able to balance even the knarliest muddies.
Most tyre places are not set up for 4x4 tyres and the problems encountered, Always use a 4x4 shop , they
know how to balance the larger size tyres,

I'm running Mickey T 305 x 16 and never had a problem

MudRunnerTD
18th June 2013, 05:08 PM
Had my front end reconditioned at last. New steering damper, drag link and rod, radius arm bushes and wheel alignment and wheel balance drives really well now and doesn't appear to be suffering the patrol wobbles anymore, see what happens after all the new parts have worn in a bit. The guy who did my wheel balance doesn't like Mickey Thompson tyres. Anyone got any info on them? these are my first set (6) and they have lasted me a 100k so far.

Good job on teh renovation, i hope they used Nissan Genuine rubber bushes for you.

So your Tyre Fitter is rotating and balancing your Mickey Ts and reckons they are junk??? And they were still worth rebalancing with 100k on them an not being stripped off as scrubbed out has beens?? And he reckons they are Junk? Go Figure? And by the sounds of it that 100k was done with a front end that needed a service? go figure.

You have answered your own question i reckon and the Tyre fitter should maybe just do his job ;)

Knightskeyes
19th June 2013, 03:18 AM
I bought the Mickey T's cause all my mates were buying BFG's and having mixed results. My front end had been getting steadily worse and the fronts were definitely showing signs of trauma from all the wobbling and vibration but they are still around 50% tread. They are on the back now to wear back evenly. I reckon 100k is pretty god for the 285 Bajas that I am running and I will probably get them again, only next time thinking of going to the 305. The bushes are nolathane.

happygu
19th June 2013, 06:58 AM
I bought the Mickey T's cause all my mates were buying BFG's and having mixed results. My front end had been getting steadily worse and the fronts were definitely showing signs of trauma from all the wobbling and vibration but they are still around 50% tread. They are on the back now to wear back evenly. I reckon 100k is pretty god for the 285 Bajas that I am running and I will probably get them again, only next time thinking of going to the 305. The bushes are nolathane.

The nolathane bushes won't last as long as the rubber bushes. They are too hard and tend to crack and then fall apart - that is why Mudrunner prefers the rubber bushes, and so do I.

You have got them now so they will be OK, but in my experience, the rubber ones have always come out on top for value and longevity

Mic

Knightskeyes
19th June 2013, 03:35 PM
God to know, will keep an eye on the nolathane and see how it goes and keep the rubbers in mind for next time.

DX grunt
19th June 2013, 08:11 PM
Apart from the wheel balance and alignment, how much were all the parts?

Rossco

Knightskeyes
20th June 2013, 02:10 AM
The alignment was part of the package. It cost me $1066 to have all the work done. It was done by Malaga Springs and Suspension a company in Perth. The wheel balance cost $80.