PDA

View Full Version : GQ Oil Filter Change

graeme1969
18th June 2013, 03:32 PM
Gday all,

Having just purchased a GQ wagon I decided to give the old girl an oil and filter change on the weekend. After leaving a little bit of oil on the shed floor I was wondering what is the best way to change the filters without spilling too much oil. I did not spill alot but I would bet there are some good tips out there.

Graeme

MudRunnerTD
18th June 2013, 03:55 PM
Hey Graeme,

congratulations on your purchase.

We ask all new members to head over to the introduction section and post an intro0 before asking questions. Please head over and say G'day mate.

Is you car a diesel or Petrol? you can try and put a bag over them while undoing them but to be honest, put a drop sheet down and swear allot! Dumbest thing on the car!

graeme1969
18th June 2013, 04:52 PM
Gday MudRunner,

Not sure where my last reply went but I have now sorted the intro.

It is a TD42.

Col.T
18th June 2013, 07:20 PM
Gday Graeme
had a GQ for years (TD) and found that although the drip tray/sheet whatever was O.K. it still left a bucket load all over the engine and suspension.
Sounds dopey but my answer was to cut the narrow side off of a plastic bottle of one of the Winns additives, leaving the lid on and then cut the thing so that it would just fit under the block where the filters screwed in.Ended up pretty small but it doesn't have to catch a large volume. Had to be curved just right so it would fit and hold whilst you unscrewed the filters, doing one at a time starting with the front one.
Was a bit of fritzing around to get it right and you may find something better but it lasted about 15 years and although a bit of a pain was less so than used diesel oil all over. Simply shove it under and empty it after each filter was pulled.
Welcome and good luck
Col

ChrisN
20th June 2013, 11:50 PM
Wasn't there someone selling a catch tray that bolted to the side of the engine? I've used a plastic ice-cream container at times, just jammed in under the filters. Messy job.

88GQwithlift
29th June 2013, 10:35 AM
just unscrew it with a tub underneath