PDA

View Full Version : CRD Fuel filter question

firm351
18th June 2013, 02:51 PM
G'day guys and girls

I have recenly purchased a 2009 3.0L crd wagon and i am considering replacing the OE fuel filter with or adding to the system a racor 400 series or 600 series fuel filter/water seperator. These filters are available with a 2, 10 or 30 micron element.

My first question is does anyone know what the micron rating of the OE filter is? I have done some searching but cant come up with a definite answer general consesus seems to be in the range of 3-5 micron.

Next question, do you think i would be better off leaving the OE filter as is and installing a filter/water seperator in the system before the OE filter. If the OE filter is 3-5 micron im thinking installing a 10 or 30 micron filter in front of it would sufficient. I mainly want it for water seperation but a courser filter would i think would be beneficial in reducing OE filter changouts and for more peace of mind for myself.

I could replace the OE filter with a 2 micron filter/seperator but i am unsure if this will put to much restriction in the system.

I like the idea of having two filters in the system if the OE is of sufficient micron rating i think this is the way i will go.

Both the racor filters mentioned above have models that can flow either 170 or 227 LPH.

If anyone has any thoughts on this subject that would be great.

Paul.

firm351
22nd June 2013, 06:02 PM
I got a quote yesterday for the filter housing. The Racor 445 comes in at $345 inc gst and the Racor 460 at $380 inc gst. The water detection kit which isnt included came in at $187 which is a bit steep i reckon, and the replacement elements are priced at $78 each. I think it would be best to leave the OE filter in system an utilise the water sensor that is already there than to buy a water detection kit for almost 200 bucks.
The Racor 600 series is only available ex usa so i didnt get a price on that.

Cheers

Paul.

nissannewby
22nd June 2013, 06:15 PM
Just grab a Delphi setup with the glass bowl on it and put it before your current filter and just keep an eye on it.

firm351
22nd June 2013, 06:33 PM
I've looked into the delphi set set ups but i reckon for the extra coin the racor is a better set up for removing water, it also has a see through bowl on the bottom for keeping an eye on it.

kevin07
22nd June 2013, 10:40 PM
generally speaking from what I have asked with the oe filter by the time the water sensor picks up water its to late,i had a Navara and destroyed the fuel system with water no light came on after market pre filter I feel is safest way for $200 no brainer that one. kev

firm351
23rd June 2013, 09:28 AM
G'day kev, what set up do you have on your rig? do you reckon it works well enough?

Col.T
25th June 2013, 07:01 PM
G'day Paul,
The old TD42 fuel filter was easy to drain and I only had a warning light once in lots of K's.
The new 3.0CRD is a total bitch for access and a drain at each service is a total pain. In fact I've given that away.
If you can find a system which is easily accessed for regular preventative water draining I reckon you'll become an overnight legend.
Keep us informed
Col