PDA

View Full Version : What are they worth? Garrett turbos

Winnie
17th June 2013, 09:06 PM
Hi guys, currently I'm running a Garrett GT2876r turbo on my TD42 which I have learned is far too big for my application. Thanks to Nissannewby and ben-e-boy for all their advice they have been great!
The turbo came on the car which is a silver top TD42 GQ wagon with upgraded 11mm injector pump and boost compensator. The turbo on the car is about 8 months old and has not done 5000kms.
What I'm looking at doing is buying a new turbo, selling my current one and putting a Cross Country top mount intercooler on, but I have not got a clue what sort of dollars I'm looking at.

For turbo I'm thinking either the GT2860 or GTX2863? This is only going off stuff I have read around the internet, I have not got a clue what is really good and what's crap? All I know is what I've got now is too laggy and means I have to have my foot flat down too often and uses too much fuel and EGTs are higher than I'd like.
So what sort of dollars would I be looking at for the new turbo? Then how much could I realistically get for my current turbo?

nissannewby
17th June 2013, 09:22 PM
Ill tell you again mate as I have via pm. A GTX2863 will be your best option with a good intercooler. Talk to diesel tec or have a look on ebay or ATP turbo. Make sure it has a T3 flange.

Prices can vary from $1000-$2000.

Winnie
17th June 2013, 09:39 PM
Really? I was expecting around double that? Awesome!

Ben-e-boy
17th June 2013, 10:11 PM
Here is one for ya....

Winnie
17th June 2013, 10:14 PM
Is that your new turbo Benny? lmao!

MudRunnerTD
17th June 2013, 10:20 PM
compound Turbo setup Bene!!

Winnie
17th June 2013, 10:23 PM
Just been reading a thread about the GTX2863 turbo on the other forum and now my head hurts...... but people are easily making 20 psi by 1700rpm, that's insane! I make 16 psi at about 2400 rpm.

Ben-e-boy
17th June 2013, 10:24 PM
It would be If I had a 15L cummins lol. My fist dosnt even touch the sides off that exhaust housing

Winnie
18th June 2013, 10:04 AM
Spoke to diesel tech. Said I wanted a GTx2863 and they said sorry we don't deal with Garrett turbos. Tried to sell me a Mitsubishi TD05 18g at 3k plus fitting.
Anybody know of a place that deals with Garrett in Vic?

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

DieselSmart
18th June 2013, 10:53 AM
Hey Winnie,

In regards to your turbo question. when ringing around make sure you tell them you already have a t3 flange and all of your oil feed / coolant lines. The turbos themsevles you can buy brand new for anywhere from 1500-2500. Heaps of people will be selling them as "kits" which include the adapter plates for exhaust manifold, braided lines, intercooler pipes etc...

I can supply you are GTX2863R with either a 0.64 rear housing or 0.86 rear housing. generally speaking the 0.64 will be better as it will spool better quicker but it depends how much boost you are looking to run through the car. with the 0.64 depending on your fuel setup you may not be able to keep it under 18-20psi of boost... so you may need to go with the 0.86.... on the other hand, while the 0.64 will spool quicker the 0.86 will give you better EGT's so it's a catch 22 lol. our turbos are $1900 + freight.

If it were my car, I would be going with the GTX 2863, along with the 0.86 rear housing and sorting out the diesel pump that will let it run 24-26psi of boost. 180-200rwkw no problems at all.

nissannewby
18th June 2013, 11:12 AM
Just been reading a thread about the GTX2863 turbo on the other forum and now my head hurts...... but people are easily making 20 psi by 1700rpm, that's insane! I make 16 psi at about 2400 rpm.

This will be with the 0.64 rear housing that diesel smart has mentioned, this will be a pretty match up with the pump you have. If you were to go to a 12mm injector then there a few more options but this is heading into crank snapping country. You will be very happy with a 0.64 rear housed GTX 2863 on your rig.

Winnie
18th June 2013, 11:23 AM
Yeah I'm not looking to make heaps more power, I'd be happy with 100kw,any more is just cool haha.
Thanks diesel smart for that info I will let you know when I am ready to purchase.

nissannewby
18th June 2013, 11:23 AM
You could use this with parts from your existing turbo.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TP&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-186&Category_Code=

Winnie
18th June 2013, 11:24 AM
You could use this with parts from your existing turbo.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TP&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-186&Category_Code=

Thats likely not something I could do myself?

Winnie
18th June 2013, 12:18 PM
Anybody know a tuner who deals with Garrett in Vic? Preferably east suburbs. I basically want to drive in drive out at a reasonable price.

DieselSmart
18th June 2013, 12:24 PM
Hey Winnie,

If you don't mind a bit of a hike out to Longwarry I can't recommend Pete at supreme tuning high enough for this sort of work. 03 56299321.

I would say including dyno time, fitting and retuning your diesel pump/boost controller you would be looking at around $3000-3500

Alitis007
18th June 2013, 12:26 PM
Chris i can get Garrett turbos mate and hpd intercoolers. Eastern suburbs has horse power factory that are pretty good tuners for petrols, some of their cars make 2000hp ( twin turbo gen3's ) if you want i can get you some prices mate ??

MudRunnerTD
18th June 2013, 12:27 PM
Hey Winnie,

In regards to your turbo question. when ringing around make sure you tell them you already have a t3 flange and all of your oil feed / coolant lines. The turbos themsevles you can buy brand new for anywhere from 1500-2500. Heaps of people will be selling them as "kits" which include the adapter plates for exhaust manifold, braided lines, intercooler pipes etc...

I can supply you are GTX2863R with either a 0.64 rear housing or 0.86 rear housing. generally speaking the 0.64 will be better as it will spool better quicker but it depends how much boost you are looking to run through the car. with the 0.64 depending on your fuel setup you may not be able to keep it under 18-20psi of boost... so you may need to go with the 0.86.... on the other hand, while the 0.64 will spool quicker the 0.86 will give you better EGT's so it's a catch 22 lol. our turbos are $1900 + freight.

If it were my car, I would be going with the GTX 2863, along with the 0.86 rear housing and sorting out the diesel pump that will let it run 24-26psi of boost. 180-200rwkw no problems at all.

I want one!!!!!!

Dribble dribble! Will that bolt onto my MTQ manifold?

Winnie you already have a half decent pump mate that will take a bigger tickle than you gave it combined with the intercooler your talking about and happy days.

Wow 200rwkw! That'd be awesome!!! Now to tell the missus! :(

DieselSmart
18th June 2013, 12:52 PM
hey mud, in regards to your question...

you also need to do a diesel pump upgrade if you are looking at running a bigger turbo such as this, as winnie already has his done it's a bonus for him. the standard pumps can bring you up to about 110-125 depending on your turbo/exhaust after that your sort of pushing it...

It also depends on the year of your truck, they had good motors up until about 96... then from 96-03 they put weaker components in them so the cranks wont live at that sort of power... winnies being a 93 model will handle the 180-200 no problems at all. that being said, most people are happy with around 150 because they want to be super safe..

if you already have an aftermarket turbo your manifold will have the t3 flange already. if you have the standard garret turbo then you will need to buy an adaptor plate along with some different oil feed lines, intercooler pipework and water lines as they will mount up slightly different.

you will also need an intercooler if you don't have one already..

If only it was as simple as purchasing a bigger turbo, we would be working 20 hours a day trying to keep up demand on supply of turbos hahah

Winnie
18th June 2013, 01:00 PM
150kw in a 4WD is farking insane, I'd be rapt with that! More than that is just freaky lmao.

nissannewby
18th June 2013, 01:51 PM
You won't get 200rwkw out of 2863 nicely its outside the compressors efficiency range.

The 2863 is nicely suited to the 11mm pump and you will easily get 120-130rwkw out of that pump. 150 is possible but you will be ringing the pumps neck.

There's a little bit involved in getting 200rwkw out of a TD its not as easy as diesel smart is making it sound.

As for the crank differences, this is unlikely, the main difference was in the pistons etc to gain response out of the NA motors. The horsepower isn't what kills the cranks it's torque and above 180rwkw you can be at risk (operator input can effect this also) of mechanical breakages.

nissannewby
18th June 2013, 01:54 PM
Thats likely not something I could do myself?

Not with what you did with your glow plugs lol. It may be cheaper to buy through them and get someone to build it for you. I'm sure someone down there could help with remove and install of the turbo.

MudRunnerTD
18th June 2013, 02:36 PM
hey mud, in regards to your question...

you also need to do a diesel pump upgrade if you are looking at running a bigger turbo such as this, as winnie already has his done it's a bonus for him. the standard pumps can bring you up to about 110-125 depending on your turbo/exhaust after that your sort of pushing it...

It also depends on the year of your truck, they had good motors up until about 96... then from 96-03 they put weaker components in them so the cranks wont live at that sort of power... winnies being a 93 model will handle the 180-200 no problems at all. that being said, most people are happy with around 150 because they want to be super safe..

if you already have an aftermarket turbo your manifold will have the t3 flange already. if you have the standard garret turbo then you will need to buy an adaptor plate along with some different oil feed lines, intercooler pipework and water lines as they will mount up slightly different.

you will also need an intercooler if you don't have one already..

If only it was as simple as purchasing a bigger turbo, we would be working 20 hours a day trying to keep up demand on supply of turbos hahah

Thanks mate

Yeah mine is a 1992 TD42 running an aftermarket MTQ turbo and 3" straight through from MTQ too.

I run a 600hp frozen boost water to air intercooler and a stock pump.

Probably a pipe dream right now but I like this thread allot.

Thanks for your input.

DieselSmart
18th June 2013, 03:05 PM
yeh he could save a few bucks if he got someone to build it... I can do the turbo without the exhaust housing for 1480 + freight but by the the time he pays for labor for someone to pull off his old turbo and swap the rear housing over he may end up paying around the same sort of money.

Winnie
18th June 2013, 03:22 PM
Here's another idea I've been thinking of... Get the intercooler first then put the boost back up to around 25psi with a good tune and drive it like that for a while?

MudRunnerTD
18th June 2013, 03:24 PM
Here's another idea I've been thinking of... Get the intercooler first then put the boost back up to around 25psi with a good tune and drive it like that for a while?

That'd work mate. That Tune is SHYT

Winnie
18th June 2013, 03:53 PM
I think that will be the more cost efficient solution for now.

Bambill
18th June 2013, 10:00 PM
Hmmm, if you are half handy with a spanner, just buy a GT2863 without the exhaust housing.
Swap the core over using your exhaust housing. It will be a straight swap.
The tune will not be that far out.

Alitis007
18th June 2013, 10:02 PM
All he needs to do is have somewhere to work on the car with some tools and it will get done, no matter which way he chooses

Winnie
18th June 2013, 10:04 PM
I would say I'm quarter handy with a spanner haha. I've read some of your posts in that thread on the other forum about the GTX2863 mate and sounds like you know your business so good to hear from you here.
What could I realistically look at getting for my current turbo?

I am close to buying the Cross Country intercooler kit, I reckon get that on and tune it up again and it would be happy days until I can get a new turbo?

Winnie
19th June 2013, 10:01 AM
Just spent half an hour on the phone with Cross country and I think I will place an order today. There is a 4 week wait as the are down staff.
Just waiting to hear back from ARE to see what they can offer.

MudRunnerTD
19th June 2013, 10:10 AM
Just spent half an hour on the phone with Cross country and I think I will place an order today. There is a 4 week wait as the are down staff.
Just waiting to hear back from ARE to see what they can offer.

Are you going to fit it Chris? They make a nice unit. The ARE is very very nice and completely different water to air but sweet as!

MudRunnerTD
19th June 2013, 10:11 AM
Are you going a Top mount and scoop?

Winnie
19th June 2013, 10:18 AM
Yeah ARE have a new top mount kit they are going to send me photos of. I will be fitting it myself but probably get a pro to do the cutting of the bonnet it needs to be painted anyway

nissannewby
19th June 2013, 10:19 AM
I would go a front mount. Far cheaper, heaps of info around and will yield better results. Plus working on your engine will be far easier without anything on top of it.

Winnie
19th June 2013, 10:19 AM
I would go a front mount. Far cheaper, heaps of info around and will yield better results. Plus working on your engine will be far easier without anything on top of it.

Cross Country told me that top mount is far better

nissannewby
19th June 2013, 10:23 AM
Of course they will they want your business. They are a good quality unit don't get me wrong but your talking about wanting to save money. It will more than likely be more than enough for what you want from it so you can disregard my last post if you like.

Winnie
19th June 2013, 10:28 AM
Keep in mind Matt I need something that simply bolts on because I can't do any fabrication which would cost more money.

nissannewby
19th June 2013, 10:34 AM
It's all good Winnie. Sometimes it would be good if you guys were closer could help out a fair bit and save some money.

Winnie
19th June 2013, 10:40 AM
That's why you blokes should all come down here

MudRunnerTD
19th June 2013, 10:47 AM
It's all good Winnie. Sometimes it would be good if you guys were closer could help out a fair bit and save some money.

That's why you blokes should all come down here

Yeah Fair dinkum bloke!! Move House! We need you here!

Sir Roofy
19th June 2013, 11:15 AM
Thinking if mat came down there would be enough work to start up his own shop
he knows his stuff wouldnt take long for the word to spread that theres a top
diesle machcanic in town

Alitis007
19th June 2013, 11:17 AM
What do you guys think of these http://hpdiesel.com.au/gq-patrol?zenid=aca3008041e11574ca5fadb4491c78ed

And Chris if you want i can make you a cooler kit for under $800 with stainless steel cooler piping and universal bar and plate cooler, you'll just need to get the scoop.

DieselSmart
20th June 2013, 09:04 AM
those kits work well alitis, i've fitted a fair few of them to GQ patrols and the GU Turbo upgrades... bare in mind, these kits are not "bolt on" I've fitted probably 15-20 of them and never once have I had one that I haven't had to modify things to get it to fit.

I'm in the process of putting together a video that one of customers did on his trip up the tele track in far north Queensland after having one of these kits fitted and a 4" lift. very impressive footage.

mudski
21st June 2013, 09:41 PM
A Customer of mine, Rotomaster, are Garret Distributors. But they are in Campbellfield. Very knowledgeable blokes in the turbo room too.

Winnie
21st June 2013, 09:46 PM
Oh yeah! George has very kindly offered to come over this weekend and help me fit I up. What a great bloke!

MudRunnerTD
21st June 2013, 10:09 PM
Oh yeah! George has very kindly offered to come over this weekend and help me fit I up. What a great bloke!

Hey that looks awesome Winnie!

That box turned up yesterday bloke. Cheers for that.

George is a legend mate! He is gunna put that Kaymar bar in the back of his GU and drive it to Geelong on Saturday Arvo and help lift it into place with me.

Big shout out to George! Bloody generous bloke!

93patrol
21st June 2013, 10:24 PM
If he strapped it to the roof of his rx it will be there sooner

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

BigRAWesty
21st June 2013, 10:28 PM

I'd pay to see that... Lol

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

nissannewby
21st June 2013, 10:59 PM

You have my number mate. If need be I can talk you through adding more fuel etc.

Alitis007
21st June 2013, 11:04 PM

Lol i drove from Thamastown to Traralgon in 1.5hrs when my rx was stock.

I don't know what you blokes in WA do with turbos but over on the east coast we bolt them to exhausts :) ........

Bloodyaussie
21st June 2013, 11:15 PM
Hey that looks awesome Winnie!

That box turned up yesterday bloke. Cheers for that.

George is a legend mate! He is gunna put that Kaymar bar in the back of his GU and drive it to Geelong on Saturday Arvo and help lift it into place with me.

Big shout out to George! Bloody generous bloke!

Yeah George is a good bloke, while I was laid up he stopped round my place and delivered some drugs to help me get going in the morning. ..
Life saver as I had a lot of work on.

Winnie
22nd June 2013, 07:11 AM
You have my number mate. If need be I can talk you through adding more fuel etc.

Thanks matt! I probably will do that mate to get me going then I'll book in with diesel tech on Monday for a real tune

DieselSmart
27th June 2013, 10:09 AM
how did you go with it Winnie?

Winnie
27th June 2013, 10:46 AM
Great guns!

Trying to use Motorculture

threedogs
27th June 2013, 10:53 AM
Just a thought if you front mount how's it going to be in summer with Aircon condenser ,radiator and IC. on the pointy end ???

Winnie
27th June 2013, 10:57 AM
Yeah I know I'm not going front mount... Because I just ordered a Cross Country kit! 3-4 week wait because they're understaffed at the moment but tax money will be through by then so can't wait!

nissannewby
27th June 2013, 11:46 AM
Are you just gonna wait until you have that and then get it tuned?

nissannewby
27th June 2013, 11:47 AM
Just a thought if you front mount how's it going to be in summer with Aircon condenser ,radiator and IC. on the pointy end ???

If everything is well maintained this should never be an issue.

Winnie
27th June 2013, 11:55 AM
Are you just gonna wait until you have that and then get it tuned?

Yep. Am I right in doing that? Understand it will be better if I get it tuned now but it wouldn't do any harm leaving it right? EGTs are good right now

nissannewby
27th June 2013, 11:59 AM
Yep. Am I right in doing that? Understand it will be better if I get it tuned now but it wouldn't do any harm leaving it right? EGTs are good right now

Yeah mate nothing wrong with that. It could be a little better now and it also gives you a comparison of how much better it can be with a quality intercooler. Sometimes people like to know what their $1700 can gain them but as I said before if its more affordable for you then its perfectly fine. You should easily see 120rwkw with your final setup I reckon.

threedogs
27th June 2013, 12:06 PM
Sounds good which scoop you using the wide WRX type or the Bigger OE GU job

Winnie
27th June 2013, 12:10 PM
The one that comes with the cross country kit. Big sucker more like a WRX one

DieselSmart
27th June 2013, 04:14 PM
Be keen to see the results when you get it tuned :)

keep us posted

Touses
2nd April 2016, 10:23 AM
I appreciate this is an old thread, dragged out of the archives BUT
Winnie, how did the 2863 pan out for you?

Touses
4th April 2016, 08:55 AM
Bump.
Any info Winnie

Winnie
4th April 2016, 08:59 AM
Bump.
Any info Winnie
Hey sorry mate I missed your post yesterday.
I love the turbo, it made an enormous difference over what I had previously. After changing the turbo and installing the CC intercooler I made 120kw on the 11mm pump which was a 50% increase in power.
That fuel pump is on its last legs now so currently saving for a 12mm which should really liven it up.

Touses
4th April 2016, 09:03 AM
Many thanks for that. Sounds like I'm on the right track. Reckon 11mm pump might be enough for old faht like myself :smile: