PDA

View Full Version : Fitting 80 series Bump Stops to a GQ

MudRunnerTD
17th June 2013, 11:54 AM
Well guys everyone it doing it! You can buy a kit off eBay to make them a straight bolt it! Happy days! Or is it?

A rear bump stop on a GQ measures 70mm and is solid rubber .

Here is what I did on the weekend!

An 80 series bump stop measures 150mm but are compressive and are a progressive bump stop. I need 150mm bump stops for my new setup and needed to know how much these compress to protect the new Amadas from bottoming out.

Here is what I did.

Using a trolley jack I sat the bump stop upside down on the jack and jacked up the rear diff.

And I started jacking

And jacking!

So how much protection do they give you??

Less than 80mm!

I would not recommend this upgrade to anyone.

Winnie
17th June 2013, 12:05 PM
Do standard GQ ones compress as well?

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

nissannewby
17th June 2013, 12:09 PM
Yeah they do. They are already shorter at static height and are shorter than the 80 series when compressed. This is on the front though. The rears are different.

MudRunnerTD
17th June 2013, 12:51 PM
yeah teh reas are a solid rubber pyramid. would give a little but not very much. not designed to be progressive.

As Mat said though the front on a GQ is a progressive, slightly. not as much as these and considerably shorter. I have 80 series in the front too.

I will be pricing some Nylon block to maybe pack these out 80mm?? will let you know how i go.

nissannewby
17th June 2013, 01:04 PM
Go to trailer places they have heaps of the poly block stuff. They buy it by the meter.

NissanGQ4.2
17th June 2013, 06:20 PM
Please refer to your build thread for my comment *LMAO*

Sanouske
27th June 2013, 01:05 AM
Are there solid urethane bump stops available? You can buy the bare components to make your own urethane bushings/bumpers. And pending the formula the different the density rates.

I know people dont like urethane due to splitting ect. but if you mimic the oem bumpstop but larger, it would work ok..

Anyways, if in doubt why not just use an alloy block to extend the mount...