PDA

View Full Version : I Wonder

Gazzman
16th June 2013, 05:06 PM
I've got a GU111 4.8 and just replaced the coils (faulty one causing engine management light to come on and run on 5 cylinders evenly now and then)
But what a bitch of a job
Brackets,throttle cables , air filter and boxes to remove to split the intake manifold to get to the center coils ( there is one bolt that is a nightmare to remove /install lower rear right from the passenger side)
any way It made me wonder ?
I put it in for a Major service at a well known service centre and mid service got a call that the spark plugs needed changing @ a cost of over $120 for the plugs iridium I think they were called 100,000 k lifetime .
My Question now (not knowing then how much was involved I said yes)
Did they change them at all or take the punt that they are working fine lets just tell him they needed changing and deal with it later if need be under our warranty system and charge him anyway ????
next time I put the olde girl in I will put little tell tales on parts that need to be removed to get to replacement parts ie: spark plugs and check prior to leaving if these parts have been removed to access the parts to be replaced
I have experienced this before with leading brand name dealerships like holden ford etc
Yeah mate we rotated the tyres etc etc but I put small marks on the tyres and the vehicle came back tyres in same spot, grease points still covered in dust the list goes on grrrrrr
sorry for the rant
BUT are you REALLY getting what you paid for

just a heads up
Gaz

threedogs
16th June 2013, 06:09 PM
I like to mark and date service items.
Sometimes even scratch initials or such.
You would hope the majority do the right thing,
But we all know the world is full of scumbags out
to rip you off at some stage

Morton
16th June 2013, 07:54 PM
x 2 with TD

MEGOMONSTER
16th June 2013, 07:58 PM
Bloody hell dummies like me would probably just pay for it, not knowing if its done or not.

nissannewby
16th June 2013, 08:07 PM
If you changed the coils why didnt you change the plugs at the same time?

If I have to take my car to get the tyres done I always mark them. There are many places that pump out heaps of "work" telling you what they did, if you looked at their invoices the hours on ech individual one would add to more than what they are open for haha.

Col.T
20th June 2013, 07:46 PM
G'day Gazzer
You've hit a big nail right on the head. Not sure but I think it's called 'suck city'. I play golf with a new/used dealer and I believe him when he tells me there's no dough in selling new cars, only in adding 'salad' to the deal and then after sale servicing.
Add a shonk or two and you get all the fun and games.
A bit surprised you went for the full con job (sorry, I meant service) when it seems from your work previously that you are pretty capeable. Hang in there, have confidence in your own abilities and tell them to go and get...........
The manuals are pretty comprehensive and I reckon you'llk never do worse than a shonk.
Good lick
Col