PDA

View Full Version : overheathing

madmat
15th June 2013, 04:54 AM
hi i am from malta and i have a nissan patrol y 60, till 2 weeks ago i never had a problem with it. Just some wobbling but i sort that out. i went overland (abroad to sicilly) with it and while i was driving it only speed up to 135 km on 5th gear and it was revving around 3400/3500 rpm for along trip of 90 mins but when i speed up to 130/135 km it will start to over heat and it will go down when i drive on 100km.

what do you thing about that, is it normal???

MEGOMONSTER
15th June 2013, 06:38 AM
hi i am from malta and i have a nissan patrol y 60, till 2 weeks ago i never had a problem with it. Just some wobbling but i sort that out. i went overland (abroad to sicilly) with it and while i was driving it only speed up to 135 km on 5th gear and it was revving around 3400/3500 rpm for along trip of 90 mins but when i speed up to 130/135 km it will start to over heat and it will go down when i drive on 100km.

what do you thing about that, is it normal???

Perhaps flush your radiator out and top up with water and coolant.
Higher revs will raise temp.
Perhaps the radiator core is slightly blocked with sludge and not performing to its full ability.

Can you also go to the intro section and say hello, tell us a little about yourself and your rig before asking questions.
You might find you'll get more responses that way.

Bulbous
15th June 2013, 07:22 AM
Couple of questions

What sort of Engine - Diesel or petrol?
What do you mean "start to overheat" - if you're going by the gauge, they are well known for being a bit hard to read. My Y61 (Gulf Spec) usually has needle pointing to just above C (Cold) but when I drive it hard sometimes it moves to the centre of the gauge or higher. It never gets to H (Hot) but I have to say that the first time it did it I was worried.
Basically I'm asking was it overheating or just a bit hotter cos it was working harder

Jamie1
15th June 2013, 06:29 PM
Maybe check Thermostat too? Recently had a similar problem, and seems to be fairly common.

Bloodyaussie
15th June 2013, 06:33 PM
Mate you should head over to the intro section and say G'day and tell us about yourself before asking for help mate!!!! Polite and all.

fracster
15th June 2013, 06:43 PM
Mine was doing the same on a recent 1700 mile trip to the outer hebrides, changed the thermostat ( what a bloody awkward job) and header tank cap, job sorted.

And welcome to the forum, say hello in the intro section,state what car you have and which engine, makes it easier for these guys to help you out mate.

P4trol
15th June 2013, 08:21 PM
What was the fresh air temperature and humidity?

TJsGQ
17th June 2013, 06:59 PM
I reckon a after market thermostat with and early trigger to keep the engine running cool

Sanouske
26th June 2013, 05:47 PM
Either a clogged rad or a dodgy thermostat and or rad cap. Under high pressure its not holding,...

threedogs
27th June 2013, 11:16 AM
Did you fix your over heating problem ???

tezzza88
11th August 2013, 10:45 PM
we find on the farm take the rad out and clean the fins out, the have very fine fins. it takes me half an hour to take out the rad and clean it then put it back it. if nothing else works.

menace 2
11th August 2013, 11:01 PM
After having read this thread and at the risk of hijacking it !..I thought I would ask if I should change the thermostat in mine...having bought the car from Melbourne and now in Central Qld...would the thermostat have been climatised to melbournes colder weather and probably not suited to up here ?...temp never changed driving it up here but it was all night driving and early morning from sydney to here and Vic was cool and raining...if it should be changed then what would be the better one to use here ?....cheers menace

rafa
11th August 2013, 11:18 PM
After having read this thread and at the risk of hijacking it !..I thought I would ask if I should change the thermostat in mine...having bought the car from Melbourne and now in Central Qld...would the thermostat have been climatised to melbournes colder weather and probably not suited to up here ?...temp never changed driving it up here but it was all night driving and early morning from sydney to here and Vic was cool and raining...if it should be changed then what would be the better one to use here ?....cheers menace

Prob not if not sowing signs.

Marty. NT

menace 2
11th August 2013, 11:39 PM
cheers Marty