PDA

View Full Version : Turbo cool down

Ajwood
14th June 2013, 05:54 PM
I have just purchased a 2008 patrol with a zd30 engine. Could someone please advice whether I need to warm up and cool down the turbo. If so how long?
Thanks
Woody

threedogs
14th June 2013, 06:08 PM
All I do when I get home is idle checking my ET guage, collect phone etc and turn off, HWY I tend to keep it idling for pitstop etc
In the morning start it up Belt on check mirrors etc make sure oil is up and drive slowly at first increasing as temps rise.

Winnie
14th June 2013, 06:36 PM
I do pretty much the same as TD, usually like to let it warm up for a little bit before I take off. Start up, seat belt on, mirrors, usually have a quick look at the forum and then take it easy until it's up to temp. Never turn mine off until EGT is under 200

Ajwood
15th June 2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks guys much appreciate your replies

krbrooking
15th June 2013, 03:58 PM
I do the same for warm up, might leave it a bit longer depending on outside temp. But I have a turbo timer installed and leave it running for 1 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

krbrooking
15th June 2013, 04:00 PM
I do the same for warm up, might leave it a bit longer depending on outside temp. But I have a turbo timer installed and leave it running for 1 min. Also depends on how far and/ or how hard it has been driven, no point in letting. It cool down if you have only gone 5min down the road, won't even be properly warm yet.

MEGOMONSTER
15th June 2013, 07:05 PM

I hear you loud and clear. Lol

krbrooking
15th June 2013, 07:34 PM
I hear you loud and clear. Lol

Oops don't know what happened there sorry fellas

happygu
15th June 2013, 09:05 PM
At least 30 Seconds idle / warm up, then gently move off until gauge starts to move.

Cool down - around town, normal just like any vehicle, or delay by about 15 seconds by gathering together all your bits and pieces. Highway, wait for 60 seconds on idle after slowing down, then shut down as normal.

Mic

june
16th June 2013, 08:04 AM
same here 30 seconds warm up, a little longer if in a very cold climate and to shut down if driving around locally I just turn it off and if doing beach runs or going along the hwy, 1 minute on my turbo timer

Sir Roofy
16th June 2013, 08:32 AM
On the start up does,nt any one check there oil and water
on shut down i like most shut down well below 2oo egt

Alitis007
16th June 2013, 09:05 AM
On my RX7 i have a GReedy turbo timer which is set to 1min but has an auto feature that increases the time the longer i drive for over 3,000rpm. But both my trol and rx are started then driven as normal from cold start as long as i have oil pressure its good to go.

It seems like a lot of people are driving their EFI cars as if the are carbureted lol

shotover
16th June 2013, 09:16 AM
EGT probe installed 50mm from turbo flange.
Shut off when below 200,about min after pulling up.
The main reason to idle for a while is to allow turbo to slow down.
If engine turned off at high revs, turbo still turning at high revs.

If

threedogs
16th June 2013, 09:23 AM
No one here drives their Patrol like Mario Andretti if you do still idle till egts are down.
IMO ppl dont need a turbo timer as their turbos aren't getting hot enough to warrant one,
Might be different if your into drifting etc

Lambroast
16th June 2013, 09:29 AM
Lol... Drifting a Patrol... Now that could be interesting :)

No one here drives their Patrol like Mario Andretti if you do still idle till egts are down.
IMO ppl dont need a turbo timer as their turbos aren't getting hot enough to warrant one,

Alitis007
16th June 2013, 11:37 AM

While your turbo is making boost it starts to glow the exhaust, so if your making pressure while cruising then its getting hot. A normal drive at 100km/h for 30mins will show you what i mean at night of course so when you pull over you can have a look at the turbo exhaust housing in the dark.

Btw normal driving my auto shifts up around the 3k marks in first gear unless i'm entering the freeway then all gears stretch out.

nissannewby
16th June 2013, 12:17 PM
While your turbo is making boost it starts to glow the exhaust, so if your making pressure while cruising then its getting hot. A normal drive at 100km/h for 30mins will show you what i mean at night of course so when you pull over you can have a look at the turbo exhaust housing in the dark.

Btw normal driving my auto shifts up around the 3k marks in first gear unless i'm entering the freeway then all gears stretch out.

This won't happen on a diesel, they don't get hot enough. Plus for performance reasons diesels use a cast manifold with the shortest possible route to the turbo. Petrol and spark ignition have much higher temps plus on your car you would be running a tuned length extractor style exhaust manifold. My motorbike will get the pipe glowing red hot just idling.

It's not just about the turbo getting hot, it's also the oil flowing through it. So allowing everything to cool before shut down will always be beneficial to turbo life.

It will depend on what driving your doing. If I'm just driving my patrol with only me in it then idle down might be 30 sec or atleast until my Egt's hit 150 degrees. When towing however (2.5T) I will let it run for 5 min.
All the mining gear I have worked on was a minimum of 3 min before shut down but they would spend most of their life at constant revs and max boost (lots of heat)

Alitis007
16th June 2013, 01:06 PM
This won't happen on a diesel, they don't get hot enough. Plus for performance reasons diesels use a cast manifold with the shortest possible route to the turbo. Petrol and spark ignition have much higher temps plus on your car you would be running a tuned length extractor style exhaust manifold. My motorbike will get the pipe glowing red hot just idling.

It's not just about the turbo getting hot, it's also the oil flowing through it. So allowing everything to cool before shut down will always be beneficial to turbo life.

It will depend on what driving your doing. If I'm just driving my patrol with only me in it then idle down might be 30 sec or atleast until my Egt's hit 150 degrees. When towing however (2.5T) I will let it run for 5 min.
All the mining gear I have worked on was a minimum of 3 min before shut down but they would spend most of their life at constant revs and max boost (lots of heat)

Its not just the manifold collector that gets hot its the dump pipe which heats up first, thats where the gasses get heated up further from friction turning the impeller.

threedogs
16th June 2013, 01:43 PM
would think you would get heat tranference as well but unless your racing a patrol
like our friends in Saudi do ,I just cant see the point

nissannewby
16th June 2013, 01:43 PM
Temps still don't get high enough on most diesels. Maybe in a race application or tractor pull style events.

nissannewby
16th June 2013, 01:48 PM
Its not just the manifold collector that gets hot its the dump pipe which heats up first, thats where the gasses get heated up further from friction turning the impeller.

It's not friction that turns your turbine. The expansion of gas as it heats up is what gets her spinning. I have a tough time trying to put it into words. It's also about air flows/ volumes velocities etc.

nissannewby
16th June 2013, 02:39 PM
Easiest way I can think to explain it. Pre turbo temps will always be higher than post turbo temps. The reason is the turbine has used this energy to make it spin.

Alitis007
16th June 2013, 02:48 PM
It's not friction that turns your turbine. The expansion of gas as it heats up is what gets her spinning. I have a tough time trying to put it into words. It's also about air flows/ volumes velocities etc.

Your right Matt and theres no denying that you understand better then most how compression engines and turbines work and this is not a physics lesson either, remembering energy is never lost but is transferred and when you compress something it heats up. So i'll try and explain my earlier answer in better words.

What i was trying to say was when the exhausted combustion gasses flow thru the manifold runners they meet at collector, they compress because the volume of gasses is greater than the volume of space in the collector, creating pressure and increasing their speed as they flow thru the exhaust housing of the turbo spinning the impeller. When the gasses merge and compress in the collect and turbo exhaust housing some of their energy is transferred to heat heating the housing ( if you have watched a motor on an engine dyno, the turbo exhaust housing heats up first then the collector and manifold runners) causing it to " glow " as the engine increases in rpm the volume of exhausted combustion gasses increases as well creating more pressure and and turning the impeller faster. The reason of a turbo timer is simple, to let the turbo cool down with the motor idling where it has a smaller of volume of gasses being exhausted and creating a cooling effect coz of the lower pressure so the oil seals that keep the oil around the bearings done go hard or burn up and leak.

Hope i was clear and didn't confuse the situation a further lol

Alitis007
16th June 2013, 02:55 PM
Sorry i forgot to add that the gasses being compressed is where the friction is, transferring their force into heat :)

nissannewby
16th June 2013, 03:03 PM
I think between the both of us we have summed it up pretty well

firm351
16th June 2013, 03:26 PM
I have a KTTA 50 cummins genset in the power station i work in which runs @ 750 KW, after about 5 minutes under load the manifolds and turbo exhaust housings are that hot they are almost transperant. Its a pretty impressive sight. It goes into a 5 minute cooldown cycle as soon as the load is removed still running at 1500 rpm then shuts down. No problem for the turbos.

Alitis007
16th June 2013, 05:07 PM
I think between the both of us we have summed it up pretty well

Maybe we should get it copied into a how turbos work thread ?? Lol

june
16th June 2013, 05:39 PM
my Nissan log book states.{turbocharger system equipped] to ensure prolonged life and performance of the turbo, [0ne] change oil according to the intervals.[two] if engine has been operating at high rpm let it idle for a few minutes prior to shut down.{three] and do not accelerate engine rpm immediately after start.