PDA

View Full Version : EGR Block & Pink Slip

pjbim10
14th June 2013, 05:12 PM
I have an EGR plate ready to use, but can anyone tell me if there are any problems with roadworthy certificates in NSW and if yes, with any other state?

MudRunnerTD
14th June 2013, 05:14 PM
i think the idea is that it is an invisible modification unless you take the EGR Off to inspect which is very unlikely. ;)

threedogs
14th June 2013, 05:42 PM
X 2 its a very decreet mod, even with the engine cover
removed Joe Blow would be hard pressed to pick it

BearGUST
14th June 2013, 06:14 PM
From memory, most of the rules around emission related parts must "appear to be functional". Based on that there is no requirement to test it's function meaning it should pass a roadworthy inspection.

Hodge
14th June 2013, 07:04 PM
For those in the northern burbs of melbourne. The fine comb police net, which they set up at camp road near jack roper reserve every now and then, supposedly has a 4x4 unit who specifically go through 4x4's. A guy with a d40 got stung for egr blanking sometime last year, I'm struggling to find the thread now.
I commute through there twice a day for work, and my D22 had the EGR blanked as well as many more your everyday mods which wouldn't keep those blokes happy. But I've never been shunted in there... Everytime i drove through it, I got lucky and the car park they pull cars into was chockers so, I got through. Phew... :icon_victory:

macca
14th June 2013, 08:16 PM
My mechanic used SS shim material, real hard to pick its there, He uses it for that reason.

Hodge
14th June 2013, 09:18 PM
My mechanic used SS shim material, real hard to pick its there, He uses it for that reason.

Yup that's how thin my D22 blank was. I even dirtied it up around the edges using the grime and stuff from within the EGR pipe, so it resembles the original gasket.

pascal1
17th June 2013, 04:26 PM
is the EGR mod significantly impact the emission levels, did anyone measure that?

threedogs
17th June 2013, 05:36 PM
Not sure how they measure maybe from tail pipe emissions.
@ Hodge are they removing engine covers to check

Hodge
17th June 2013, 06:05 PM
Not sure how they measure maybe from tail pipe emissions.
@ Hodge are they removing engine covers to check

I'm really not sure mate. What concerned me when I had my Navara, the D22 Yd25 engines, there is no engine cover as such, all the EGR blank points, especially the easiest one, is right there starring at you when you pop the bonnet. Most common blank is right there on the left, 2 x 10mm nuts from memory, takes 5 seconds to undo and check. If they know about it and want to check, it's a piece of cake for them. And they are very stubborn and thoroughly anal about everything.

pascal1
17th June 2013, 06:15 PM
"they are very stubborn and thoroughly ... about everything"

well, I considered that mod but now that I am aware of that I won't make the EGRegious mistake to risk a check with them!

BearGUST
20th June 2013, 04:58 AM
A tailpipe test wouldn't reveal anything unless it could be done while commanding the EGR open and shut. If the pulled it apart and found the shim I'd be pleading ignorance, must have been there when I bought it...