PDA

View Full Version : Dash lights and Autron gauge dimming

FNQGU
13th June 2013, 08:30 PM
Hi all,

Two things - firstly, I am in the process of working out a relatively new vehicle and improving things (as we all do...). The dash lights at night - are they supposed to light up the odometer reading as well as the digital clock? (See below pic of my dash) My odo reading is not lit up at night and I suspect I have a dash light to fix. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Secondly - re Autron pillar mount gauges. I have a twin gauge set up and really like them, but initially, like many others seem to have, I found them too bright at night. If anyone else has experienced this same problem, I found that the solution came with the installation of the additional light enhancement module. Yes, you can wire your new Autron gauges to your dimmer switch, but by the time they dim down you can't even see the rest of your dash. Add the extra unit and it allows you to dim the whole lot to a set level for night time running. Once it is wired in, you can crack open the unit and play with the + / - buttons to get it to a level where you are happy with it. You can dick around with a heap of different background colours as well if you are handy at a bit of programming, but I found that by simply sticking to a dull green, and then dimming it right down, it worked really well.

I can post some pics of the inner works of the enhancement module if anyone wants them.

Cheers
BenK

MEGOMONSTER
13th June 2013, 08:46 PM
Hi all,

Two things - firstly, I am in the process of working out a relatively new vehicle and improving things (as we all do...). The dash lights at night - are they supposed to light up the odometer reading as well as the digital clock? (See below pic of my dash) My odo reading is not lit up at night and I suspect I have a dash light to fix. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Secondly - re Autron pillar mount gauges. I have a twin gauge set up and really like them, but initially, like many others seem to have, I found them too bright at night. If anyone else has experienced this same problem, I found that the solution came with the installation of the additional light enhancement module. Yes, you can wire your new Autron gauges to your dimmer switch, but by the time they dim down you can't even see the rest of your dash. Add the extra unit and it allows you to dim the whole lot to a set level for night time running. Once it is wired in, you can crack open the unit and play with the + / - buttons to get it to a level where you are happy with it. You can dick around with a heap of different background colours as well if you are handy at a bit of programming, but I found that by simply sticking to a dull green, and then dimming it right down, it worked really well.

I can post some pics of the inner works of the enhancement module if anyone wants them.

Cheers
BenK

Firstly I have a 2011 GU8 and the odo is illuminated. 30236

Secondly, I added the light control module to my Autron gauges.
I have white light by day and orange light when the headlights are on.
They also dim down when lights go on and they are still connected to the Patrol dash dimmer switch as well.

happygu
13th June 2013, 08:48 PM
You could try placing something like a 1K resistor into the circuit, just before the gauges, to drop the voltage slightly allowing them to dim faster.

Mic

FNQGU
13th June 2013, 08:57 PM
Pretty happy with where I have them now Mic, was just offering the info as I couldn't find any other details on the forum that referred to the operation of the enhancement unit.

Mego's option of going to a red/orange is certainly one option. I just found that when these units are wired to the dimmer alone, it is not sufficient. The dimming function in the extra module really helps.