PDA

View Full Version : strange noise front wheels

Des
12th June 2013, 03:47 PM
I own a 07 Patrol with 145k on the clock and experiencing a very strange noise from the front wheels.
When it happens I have to slow down to a complete stop or change into H/range to make it go away.
The mechanic has checked both front hubs, ABS, checked for stones caught up in the hubs etc.
It only happens very rarely and like I said by the time I get the w/shop and stop it goes away.

happygu
12th June 2013, 04:14 PM
Hi Des,

Is it a clicking / racket type noise?

Mic

Morton
12th June 2013, 07:26 PM
does it sound like you are dragging a coathanger along the road? if so it is your auto hubs, sounds like you auto hubs are trying to engage anyway

MEGOMONSTER
12th June 2013, 07:28 PM
I reckon I had the same thing happen to me about 3-4 months ago.
Still don't know for sure but would have to agree with auto hubs trying to engage.

Des
13th June 2013, 08:05 AM
Hi Des,

Is it a clicking / racket type noise?

Mic

It does sound a bit like a clicking noise that gets louder as you are slowing down and when you are coming to a complete stop it seems that the brakes grab and the noise stops.

Des
13th June 2013, 08:10 AM
does it sound like you are dragging a coathanger along the road? if so it is your auto hubs, sounds like you auto hubs are trying to engage anyway

Hi,
I have had the auto hubs striped and cleaned by the mechanic he found nothing wrong and replaced them.

Des
13th June 2013, 08:17 AM
I reckon I had the same thing happen to me about 3-4 months ago.
Still don't know for sure but would have to agree with auto hubs trying to engage.

HI,
You said you think it happened to you app 3-4 mths ago what did you do to stop it?

Morton
13th June 2013, 08:31 AM
Hi,
I have had the auto hubs striped and cleaned by the mechanic he found nothing wrong and replaced them.

did he put new Auto hubs in? or refitted the old ones after a clean & strip?, if he put the old ones back on throw them & put another set in, it is not your brakes grabbing, it is the auto hubs trying to disengage then at that last second, throw a second hand set on, if it is doing it all the time then take them off, you don't need them on for a few days or a week whilst you are sussing if the noise returns, also he would have greased them up again, if you put to much grease in them they will fail, you only repack the inards of the hub & smear the grooves, most pack it solid & they become damaged when engaged, where are you? My money is on the Auto hubs, most 4wd service centres will have good second hand ones sitting around, if you are replacing them, have manual hubs fitted, you will be far happier

happygu
13th June 2013, 10:02 AM
It does sound a bit like a clicking noise that gets louder as you are slowing down and when you are coming to a complete stop it seems that the brakes grab and the noise stops.

I think it sounds like the classic Auto Hub issue, from either too much grease or it being faulty....

MEGOMONSTER
13th June 2013, 10:15 AM
HI,
You said you think it happened to you app 3-4 mths ago what did you do to stop it?

All I did was come to a complete stop, and just before stopping I could hear a little clunk then everything was good.
It's happened 3 times now in one month but hasn't happened since.

MudRunnerTD
13th June 2013, 01:37 PM
Can you tell which side. Swap them side to side and see if there is a change auto hubs for sure.

MudRunnerTD
13th June 2013, 01:40 PM
Hey Des,

The members are being very generous today, normally they'd be all over you asking for an intro prior to asking questions.

Please head to the intro section and post up a hello thread mate, where you are, what your car is and just say G'day, just like you would when you enter any room.

Appreciated if you did that before you asked for further help.

Regards MR

Des
13th June 2013, 02:50 PM
The way you have explained it is exactly what happens to mine and yes it may not happen for a couple of months and happen three times in a week, very strange.

Des
13th June 2013, 02:56 PM
Hey Des,

The members are being very generous today, normally they'd be all over you asking for an intro prior to asking questions.

Please head to the intro section and post up a hello thread mate, where you are, what your car is and just say G'day, just like you would when you enter any room.

Appreciated if you did that before you asked for further help.

Regards MR

Hi MR,

Very sorry if I have done the wrong thing when I first logged on I did not see an intro section, I will log out and log in again to do the right thing.

Once again Sorry,
Des

Des
13th June 2013, 03:43 PM
Originally it sounded like it was coming from the left only but the last couple of times it sounded like it was from both sides

MEGOMONSTER
13th June 2013, 04:01 PM
Originally it sounded like it was coming from the left only but the last couple of times it sounded like it was from both sides

Mine did exactly that, left side first then the right or both sides.

MEGOMONSTER
13th June 2013, 07:57 PM
This is the thread I started when I heard the same strange noises.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=19201

Morton
13th June 2013, 11:06 PM
yep auto hubs

Col.T
18th June 2013, 07:31 PM
Hullo Des
Run a search on front axle / free run
That Morton's a busy bloke
Col