PDA

View Full Version : CB with a mind of its own!!!!

krbrooking
10th June 2013, 08:34 PM
Well last weekend on my way up to tallarook my cb was working fine. We stopped at the lookout to air down and from there on I was able to send but not receive, then when we stopped for lunch I turned it off and when we left it was working fine could both receive and send but that didn't last as the same prob arose. It has not changed since.

I am just wondering if anyone has had this prob or knows how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

lhurley
10th June 2013, 08:38 PM
Mines the same, my antenna cable is broken where it bends around the dash support pipe thing. Might be lucky and be able to wiggle it around and get it to work but probably have to put a new cable in

mudnut
10th June 2013, 08:38 PM
What sort of CB is it? Is it still under warranty? To me it sounds like a loose wire or dry solder joint.

krbrooking
10th June 2013, 08:47 PM
It's an oricom 40 channel and have had it for a number of years so won't be under warranty.

mudnut
10th June 2013, 09:04 PM
I asked that because I've been told that transmitting with a dodgy antenna connection can cause internal problems. If you have a multimeter and someone to wiggle the antenna wire, you might be able to find if or where there is a break.

threedogs
10th June 2013, 09:11 PM
Run a separate earth from antenna to aux battery,
Plus re check both ends of 50 ohm cable.
Make sure your mike is tight too

Edited from 75 to 50ohm

happygu
10th June 2013, 09:22 PM
It is most likely a poor connection at either the antenna or the unit

menace 2
11th June 2013, 12:55 AM
maybe no-one wants to talk to you KR..lol

TPC
11th June 2013, 12:23 PM
Run a separate earth from antenna to aux battery,
Plus re check both ends of 75 ohm cable.
Make sure your mike is tight too

That should be 50 ohm coax cable, 75 ohm is used for TV.

Antenna faults will effect transmitting (sending) as much or more than receiving so if you can transmit ok it is more likely to be a fault internally in the CB.
If it is an antenna fault it will work when close to other radios but stop working as you get further away.
When it is not working can you still get noise from the speaker, ie beeps when pressing buttons or squelch noise?
If it looses all sound it may be the speaker and you could try plugging in an extension speaker.

threedogs
11th June 2013, 04:58 PM
My bad, have you found out anything yet

krbrooking
11th June 2013, 06:13 PM
Thanks heaps for all the responses. Had a look today and the cable has broken from the little brass thing it is soldered to so I striped and cleaned everything and when I was checking the connection it was still doing the same, so I have left it all separate and disconnected for now until I can figure it out. I now have another Q: the inner wire obviously is soldered to the brass/copper thing but the out wiring what happens with that as there is a little plastic bush/ washer that separates the brass bit from the rest of the assembly. Does the outer wiring stop there it slide up to connect to the brass thing.

mudnut
11th June 2013, 06:39 PM
nothing of value here

threedogs
11th June 2013, 06:39 PM
Do you have pic of fitting, does centre have small screw to hold wire??

mudnut
11th June 2013, 06:43 PM
I will withdraw what I said yet again. I was on the phone to someone who fixes his own cb's and antennas and I stuffed up. Apparently if it is wrong it can wreck the output amplifiers. Sorry

krbrooking
11th June 2013, 06:50 PM
@TD: will take a pic Tom some time it did have a nut but that threaded over where the wire was soldered. Will set it up as I think it goes and take respective pics as I stripped it.

It's wiered as I can here some sort of noise coming from the speaker on full vol but when I play with the squelch button there is no white noise at all but it still send perfectly. Could the speaker have cr@&$? Itself

TPC
11th June 2013, 07:04 PM
@TD: will take a pic Tom some time it did have a nut but that threaded over where the wire was soldered. Will set it up as I think it goes and take respective pics as I stripped it.

It's wiered as I can here some sort of noise coming from the speaker on full vol but when I play with the squelch button there is no white noise at all but it still send perfectly. Could the speaker have cr@&$? Itself

Sounds like the speaker or audio amp, do you have a ext speaker that you can try plugging in to the speaker socket on radio?

krbrooking
11th June 2013, 07:05 PM
No but I will just use a stereo speaker on the weekend if I get a chance to pull it out and have a look