PDA

View Full Version : High lift jack advice

Bloodyaussie
10th June 2013, 06:00 PM
The other day I used my very cheap 60" Tigerz High lift jack for the first time... now I have had this thing for years and bought it before knowing any better and have never needed to use it in anger.

I had to lift a GQ Patrol that has no engine in it and it bent?????

Now I dont want this to turn into a slagging chinese stuff thread I just want to know what is a good High lift jack and how much, and do I really need a 60" jack??

Appreciate any advice regarding the question asked!!!

Hodge
10th June 2013, 06:08 PM
Had my ARB jack for years. Used it at work as well for a lot of heavy miscellaneous lifts and it never failed. For what it's worth though, my jack might be made in china as well.
Not entirely sure if the "current" ARB ones they sell are of the same build though. As for the 60", well they're a must for seriously lifted trucks I believe...

Winnie
10th June 2013, 06:13 PM
Seriously mate? I have the same hi lift and have not used it to lift the Patrol yet.
Used it heaps for yard work and lifting heavy logs off my chainsaw bar.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

MudRunnerTD
10th June 2013, 06:18 PM
Holy crap batman! Have you got a pic BA?

Bloodyaussie
10th June 2013, 06:20 PM
Holy crap batman! Have you got a pic BA?

Not as yet as I have my balls stored in my wifes hand bag!!!!!!

When I get a loan of them I will go out and take a pic...

Also a pin has dropped out of the thing and I had to throw a bolt in to use it?

threedogs
10th June 2013, 06:34 PM
Why you would want a 60" one is beyond belief, they dont call them widow makers for nothing.
Best 48" brand is trawalla, then the brand Hi-lift, lmfao really 60"
Bigger is better hey, well not in this case. These are made to lift then push your 4x4 over
or lift and pack track, really 60" tell me it was on sale, Put a 48" bar in it, or cut your 60"
That pin may be the shear pin the weak point of a hi lift.
Certainly have to be on your game using a hi lift, will break a jaw in the blink of an eye.
Always leave it with handle UP and clipped

Pricewise $150 is about ball park for them all cheap or good so go for the Name.
Trewalla are Aust made been around for eons

macca
10th June 2013, 06:58 PM
I have no idea what mine is, it has Hilift cast in to it so must be Hilift..... bought it off a neighbour for a 20 in 1982.
We had a caravan then and used it to lift it up onto the stands I had for it.
It has been used for all sorts of jobs since and is still doing what I ask of it.
It is also a 48" which does everything I have ever done so 60" is tall!!! didn't even know that they were available that big LOL.
Mates have had some that came with a mag sub, nothing but trouble.
As TD says be careful using them they are nasty when not used correctly but really convenient when used right.

NP99
10th June 2013, 07:25 PM
Repco sell a 48" that's as tough as nails.

threedogs
10th June 2013, 07:35 PM
Can use as a come a long ,even a log splitter, some have cast bases the Trawalla has steel.
Hole centres are 85mm except TJMs new one which has 87 mm centres not 100% but they are
different. Plenty of accessories for a myiad of extra applications, I like the hard plastic carry case.
Piranha do a wet suit style cover to protect from the elements. Like any piece of recovery
equipment a decent spray with Lanotec or WD40 will keep it in working condition, a handful of
spare shear pins in your tool kit wouldn't go astray either. Not much chop on an all coil 4x4
as you'll run out of travel trying to lift wheel off the ground. give it a go sometime

I have 3 here A trewella from my fencing days, a Hi-lift [sold by Kmart} and a TJM number

Sir Roofy
10th June 2013, 07:37 PM
60'' think your bragging there mate,nah the oe trewella jack was a jaw breaker but was always used on the farm
I bought a tigers11 hi lift upon inspection I didn't like it at all so its sitting in the spare room gathering dust never used
do as TD says look around for the trewella brand

Cuppa
10th June 2013, 07:41 PM
Mine came from an army surplus store many moons ago, No brand name. Thought it was a good idea when I bought my Series 2a Landy ute. Have used it to lift the side of a barn, to lift both front wheels of our bus & under the tow bar of the the bus to break the bead on a tyre. Horrible unstable thing though, don't like using it. Wont carry it in the Patrol (too heavy) ... have an air/exhaust jack instead.

Cuppa

mudski
10th June 2013, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't be skimping when it comes to lifting the car. Either get a Trawalla if they are still around or a Genuine Hi-Lift branded jack.

krbrooking
10th June 2013, 08:43 PM
Not sure if they do one but have a look at iron man I have found them to be good quality and reasonably priced, but like I said I am not sure if they even do one.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

menace 2
11th June 2013, 12:22 AM
I think I will hang with Cuppa in this area ...and use a good quality exhaust bag...hear too much bad s*#t about hi-lift jacks..even though thay obviously have a place in the game...used trewella toe jacks when rigging machinery back in the day (late 70's)..great jacks when used properly...but like anything mechanical , need to be assesed for wear on the teeth...it doesnt take much wear on the end of the teeth...they will drop down....I suppose it would also apply to these hi-lift jacks....so after all that ...if I am going to need one then I would also look for Trewella...been around a long time
60 " ???...could double as a sand flag on the back lol....good thing BA is you are still here to tell us about it !

threedogs
11th June 2013, 09:29 AM
On New 4x4s they are limited in their use with plastic every where.
plus on all coil 4x4 you'll be lifting till the cows come home and your wheel
will still be on the ground. There are cut outs in modern bullbars but you cant push your 4x4
off the jack .At the rear you might be limited to using the towbar,
just remember to leave the handle up, this is very important, still very handy piece of kit.
black one is Trewella ,middle is Hi-lift and red is TJM
Great for pulling out fence posts, just put jack foot in post notch.

@ Menace & Cuppa its not only for lifting with the right amout of shackles and slings you could Jack up a hill or lower your 4x4 safely down, wont be doing that with an exhaust jack. Exhaust jacks are great for beach and desert ,but IMO too easy to damage if not on your game. Most ppl just jack up the 4x4 build up the track then push 4x4 off the hi lift jack.

the evil twin
11th June 2013, 10:34 AM
With hi-lift jacks (lot a lot of things) size counts.

I tell anyone who wants to carry a hi-lift to purchase a 60 inch esp if they have a moderate to large lift or IFS etc. If a 48 is too short for the circumstance that can be an issue but if you don't need the extra length of the 60 you don't have to use it.

I always carry my exhaust jack and would be lost without it. It gets used several times a year. I very rarely carry my hi-lift and have yet to use/need it.

Not wanting to start a hi-lift versus airbag debate but air bags are very safe and a floor mat or similar is more than sufficient to protect them in almost all types of terrain.
If it was a "one or the other" choice I would carry an air bag evry time... BUT... my travels and play may be totally different to others.

mudnut
11th June 2013, 10:42 AM
My jack is a Jackall. It too has bowed out, so I just use it to for pulling out poles and star posts. I will replace it, but what with, I haven't decided yet. How much pressure does an exhaust jack put on the exhaust pipe?. I would hate to blow an outlet manifold gasket.

makeitfit
11th June 2013, 10:45 AM
Coils needn't be a problem for a hi-lift. Just put a strop or rope through the wheel and through the hole in the hi-lift . Crank away then chuck a rock under the axle accordingly ;)
I use a broken waffle board as a base when in the mud and it works on the sand too. Sinks a bit to start with but soon bottoms out. I'm not getting under it mind lol
Be lucky ;-)

macca
11th June 2013, 11:30 AM
TD those air bags can be filled from your compressor as well?

MudRunnerTD
11th June 2013, 01:42 PM
Exhaust Jack every time for me. A big fan and carry it always is both the GQ and the GU when out and about.

Mudski, you simply push the funnel over hte exhaust pipe and hold it tight so it is unlikely to blow an exhaust gasket.

They are ACE!

I have Never and will Never carry a HiLift Jack. I own one and will never take it off road.

I have done a CV strip and swap on an exhaust jack a couple of times in the mud without a problem.

Bloodyaussie
11th June 2013, 03:42 PM
I am really starting to sway towards the air bag jack as I have never been comfortable with the high lift jack..

Will look into it more later.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

macca
11th June 2013, 06:01 PM
I have one of these to lift from the wheel, then chock or fit some blocks under the diff, I plan to use the bottle jack to change a wheel, but its great for lifting the vehicle for road building under the tyre etc.
Funny thing is I have never used it since I got it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgQJDuoJORg

mudski
11th June 2013, 06:29 PM
Mudski, you simply push the funnel over hte exhaust pipe and hold it tight so it is unlikely to blow an exhaust gasket.

Err yeah I know MR. You thinking of someone else? BUT. Do you remember at Murrundindi last year when I blew that front right tyre. When had both the exhaust jack AND hi-lift under the car. SO while the exhaust jack is easier and probably safer to use, its a good idea to have both.
I reckon anyhow.