PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Patrol for off-roading - why do you think it is so popular amongst offroaders?

lurker
10th June 2013, 01:58 AM
So i'm doing a little bit of questioning about Nissan Patrol - why do you think it is so popular amongst off-road enthusiasts? Strong suspension? Good ground clearance? Strong transmission, engine? Cheap repairs compared to other off-road type cars? Or maybe Patrols have a great potential for a future modifications of the car? If you have an opinion i would love to hear it.

growler2058
10th June 2013, 05:33 AM
Strongest driveline

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

93patrol
10th June 2013, 06:56 AM
Your not paying for a name eg Toyota

Your paying for one of, if not the best off road vehicle of all time it come out standard with a bullet proof driveline and is a pleasure to drive

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

BearGUST
10th June 2013, 08:05 AM
Very strong driveline, unbeatable LSD, a handbrake that actually holds (unlike most Toyota's). Very capable vehicle standard.

macca
10th June 2013, 08:53 AM
Very strong driveline, unbeatable LSD, a handbrake that actually holds (unlike most Toyota's). Very capable vehicle standard.

Had a Hilux, getting into the Patrol to find a handbrake that actually held was such a surprise. So pissed with Toyota it wouldn't hold on my driveway layback.
Agree with all the rest as well.

paulyg
10th June 2013, 09:10 AM
Best value for money large 4x4.

Cuppa
10th June 2013, 09:19 AM
When doing the rounds of car hire companies in Broome for a vehicle to drive up the Dampier Peninsula they ALL had a variety of 4wd's available, but restricted those allowed to go up the Peninsula to Landcruisers & Patrols. This told me a lot about the strength & longevity of those machines compared to everything else on the market. When I started looking further into it wanting a vehicle for long term ownership/outback touring & learned about the factors others have already outlined the Patrol made a lot of sense. A capable machine which would hold together over time. Landcruisers probably still outnumber Patrols in the outback, but I think this is a long term 'Brand Loyalty' thing which is changing. Can't see why Toyota's are worth the extra money other than they established the 'name'. Often in the outback 4wd's are still just called Toyotas, even when they are Nissans! My Patrol is ex Telstra (from Alice Springs). A company like Telstra wouldn't have run Patrols if they considered Landcruisers a better option.

Cuppa

Bloodyaussie
10th June 2013, 09:26 AM
Had a Hilux, getting into the Patrol to find a handbrake that actually held was such a surprise. So pissed with Toyota it wouldn't hold on my driveway layback.
Agree with all the rest as well.

Thats funny...my hilux had the worst handbrake
Once while airing down my hilux decided it would start without me and was headed for a big fall..... managed to get in put my foot on the brake just in time.

threedogs
10th June 2013, 09:29 AM
Easy to Mod, spares everywhere, in GU Giuse last of the true 4x4s
Bulletproof driveline, best LSD in the business, Ready to go straight off
the showroom floor. Oh BTW last 4x4 was a 75s Troopy, twin lockers, tough
as but not as tough as a Patrol.

Hodge
10th June 2013, 09:53 AM
Many factors made me buy one. Bulletproof driveline and diffs. All-around comfort on and off-road. Sheer off-road capability. And they bloody look good too straight off, and especially when done-up right. There's a reason hema maps used patrols to scope out tracks all over Aus. Love my GU!

nissannewby
10th June 2013, 09:53 AM
So i'm doing a little bit of questioning about Nissan Patrol - why do you think it is so popular amongst off-road enthusiasts? Strong suspension? Good ground clearance? Strong transmission, engine? Cheap repairs compared to other off-road type cars? Or maybe Patrols have a great potential for a future modifications of the car? If you have an opinion i would love to hear it.

All of the above

threedogs
10th June 2013, 02:21 PM
Forgot to mention great value for money,and last of the real 4x4s , great tourer in comfort, easy to mod into mountain goat, good tow vehicle as well.
built to last, just read the threads on guys who have over 1/2 a million Ks and still going strong,

BearGUST
10th June 2013, 05:03 PM
Thats funny...my hilux had the worst handbrake
Once while airing down my hilux decided it would start without me and was headed for a big fall..... managed to get in put my foot on the brake just in time.

I always laughed at guys trying the whole 'my Toyota's better' rant. They always had to grab a rock to use as a wheel chock, they'd agree that Nissan's handbrake setup was better, then they'd usually agree that the LSD was far superior, some would eventually realise that the Patrols were a bloody good rig!

Winnie
10th June 2013, 05:05 PM
I was away at Kevington all of last week and I would guess that 50% of all cars that drove past were Patrols.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

DX grunt
10th June 2013, 07:03 PM
I like my creature comforts and sleep in the back of the pod when 'roughing it'. lol
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/Camp%20set%20up/Gruntsden003.jpg (http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/DXgrunt/media/DX%20grunt/Camp%20set%20up/Gruntsden003.jpg.html)

Rossco

lhurley
10th June 2013, 07:26 PM
They are the best because they last, are cheap to repair, and go absolutely anywhere without drastic mods. Look at most of the comp trucks getting around, they are all running patrol diffs/drivetrains. Theres gota be a good reason behind that.

Funny story, today i went for a splash in the mud with a work mate, his missus and daughter came in my patrol because its nicer to be in the his pajero. That just sealed the deal for me, I made the right choice.

gingerboy
11th June 2013, 08:22 PM
I've always known they are better value than an (exy) Toyota and are easily as capable a 4wd. Since owning one for a few weeks now I can also say its a pleasure to drive on road and very capable off road too - having just come back from Mount Stirling/High Country in Victoria over the Queens Birthday weekend with 6 adults and 1 baby in it...we all had a whale of a time in the mud up there!

Also previous 4by was a Disco and no end of problems (although it did get me around Australia safely and competently). Early days with my GU but I just can't see it having the same problems! Love it so far.