PDA

View Full Version : td42 light engine mods

Trentt
9th June 2013, 09:02 PM
im thinking of doing some engine work to the td42 new turbo biger injectors few things like that was going to install myself then take and get dyno tuned anyone done before i only want to do light mods not going to smash it at 25psi or anything its a td42ti stock engine only 100000 on clock just want some more guts might do diff gears not sure any ideas?

Ben-e-boy
9th June 2013, 09:08 PM
You can get a new intake plenum, for better more equal flow to all cylinders,
I have one from A.R.E. in brisbane, I also have a tri step valve grind, due to time constraints I didnt get the head ported, which is on the cards just not a priority, this time while the head is I will get oversize valves aswell.

Trentt
9th June 2013, 09:20 PM
is that just the turbo manifold or?

nissannewby
9th June 2013, 09:26 PM
im thinking of doing some engine work to the td42 new turbo biger injectors few things like that was going to install myself then take and get dyno tuned anyone done before i only want to do light mods not going to smash it at 25psi or anything its a td42ti stock engine only 100000 on clock just want some more guts might do diff gears not sure any ideas?

Hey mate your in perth give United Fuel injections a call. Also Diesel Central in rockhampton mate.

These engines can make awesome figures for minimal outlay. A new turbo is a great place to start also getting rid of the junk factory intercooler. As for your injectors you dont as much get "bigger injectors" for a TD42 but the do up the crack pressures.

I would go a turbo upgrade and throw a front mount on it nice and simple and "light"

nissannewby
9th June 2013, 09:31 PM
You can get a new intake plenum, for better more equal flow to all cylinders,
I have one from A.R.E. in brisbane, I also have a tri step valve grind, due to time constraints I didnt get the head ported, which is on the cards just not a priority, this time while the head is I will get oversize valves aswell.

With all this research Im doing ben-e porting the head is unjustified however oversized valves will net you a good increase. The TD42 head is pretty sweet straigh out of the box.

Trentt
9th June 2013, 09:33 PM
im in perth yer have u seen it done know how much more they got? and how much it cost?

nissannewby
9th June 2013, 09:54 PM
Do you mean power? and what it cost to get there?

Trentt
9th June 2013, 10:17 PM
Do you mean power? and what it cost to get there?

money for power just some basic stuff

nissannewby
9th June 2013, 10:24 PM
Well if you not wanting to go to much I would look at a Garrett gtx2863, these can be had for about 1400 from the states but don't quote me on that, or a little dearer from a dealer over here. Throw a decent from mount intercooler on it and if your handy could do all that for 2-2500. With a nice tune this should get you about 130rwkw up from about the 90 it may have from stock. The torque increase will be the biggest but and drive ability will be much nicer.

Trentt
9th June 2013, 10:32 PM
Well if you not wanting to go to much I would look at a Garrett gtx2863, these can be had for about 1400 from the states but don't quote me on that, or a little dearer from a dealer over here. Throw a decent from mount intercooler on it and if your handy could do all that for 2-2500. With a nice tune this should get you about 130rwkw up from about the 90 it may have from stock. The torque increase will be the biggest but and drive ability will be much nicer.

i have 114 stock with 360nm wiki says

Trentt
9th June 2013, 10:36 PM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garrett-GTX3071R-Dual-Ball-Bearing-Turbo-/151044193488?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232aef7cd0
??

nissannewby
9th June 2013, 10:41 PM
That's at the engine flywheel. By the time it gets to your back wheels (which is what I stated) you would be doing well I make 90-95kw.

If you were to put the above figures back to the engine it would be up around the 160 mark

nissannewby
9th June 2013, 10:43 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garrett-GTX3071R-Dual-Ball-Bearing-Turbo-/151044193488?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232aef7cd0
??

That's a 3071 mate. Way to big for your setup. Check out ATP turbo

Trentt
9th June 2013, 10:46 PM
ok cool thats heaps anyway :P it was cheaper than the smaller one haha thanks for all this help mate

Trentt
9th June 2013, 10:50 PM

so with that turbo and new cooler u dont think need new pump or injectors?

nissannewby
9th June 2013, 10:55 PM
With the gtx2863 and front mount plus the low k's your rig has I wouldn't be to worried.

If you wanted more power then a bigger pump and turbo would be required and you would get injectors done as well.

Another good turbo that works well with the stock 11mm injector pump is a UFI TD05 18G but these will set you back around 2800 just for the turbo.

Trentt
9th June 2013, 10:55 PM
and do you not think i should not keep top mount even if i get a better one?

nissannewby
9th June 2013, 11:00 PM
That's up to you mate. There is plenty of info around on these types of forums.

Top mounts get heat soak and to get one that works well (cross country) your looking at big dollars, water to airs work well but are a little complex (adding another cooling system) and front mounts are cheap and simple (plus you can work on the engine without anything in the way)

Trentt
9th June 2013, 11:02 PM
good point the more i think about it the more i just want to spend the bigger dollars

nissannewby
9th June 2013, 11:07 PM
Have a look on patrol4x4.com mate. There is bundles of info on there about this exact thing.

Probably the best advice I can give you is read as much as you can on this subject and ask plenty of questions. Then make your decision take your time it can be very rewarding.

Trentt
9th June 2013, 11:17 PM
Have a look on patrol4x4.com mate. There is bundles of info on there about this exact thing.

Probably the best advice I can give you is read as much as you can on this subject and ask plenty of questions. Then make your decision take your time it can be very rewarding.

good point need to work out what i want and how much to spend might get some 3.9 gears for diffs see if that helps with her pick up and go with the 35s

nissannewby
9th June 2013, 11:19 PM
good point need to work out what i want and how much to spend might get some 3.9 gears for diffs see if that helps with her pick up and go with the 35s

Go the other way with diffs mate. Throw some 4.6's in it with the 35's and youll be laughing.

Trentt
9th June 2013, 11:24 PM
Go the other way with diffs mate. Throw some 4.6's in it with the 35's and youll be laughing.

are they the ones out of 2.8? thats what i was told to do :P

nissannewby
9th June 2013, 11:31 PM
Yeah 2.8s had them.

Trentt
9th June 2013, 11:36 PM
Yeah 2.8s had them.
my bad haha ment 4.6 would u go second hand could there be much damage u couldnt see or safe as long as u look at them for cracks and stuff?

nissannewby
9th June 2013, 11:42 PM
They pretty tough diffs mate you can generally get them when people swap 2.8's for v8's and 4.2a

Trentt
9th June 2013, 11:47 PM
They pretty tough diffs mate you can generally get them when people swap 2.8's for v8's and 4.2a lets hope i can get some might just save a lock it at same time

tonyhoughton
10th June 2013, 12:34 AM
I just had my td42 into united fuel injection couple weeks ago.. Use it for work travelling around the state with a 2 tonne trailer on the back....

They put a new turbo... 3 inch exhaust and Dyno for 4600.

saving up 2700 more now to stick a new intercooler on to really crank it up!

Has 181hp now and 440nm... Drives like a different car! Worth every penny... When new intercooler goes on will be taking it to 600nm +

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

florix
10th June 2013, 01:53 AM
Once I have completed my engine conversion I will be looking into doing something like this. Want to get it all up and running first and then put a bigger turbo on it. But I was looking into the bigger scoops (http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/supporting-vendors-51/bonnet-scoop-gu-intercooler-53788/) and using my fan from the RD28. For another 600 odd I can front mount instead. Changing the scoop and chucking a fan under the intercooler will minimise the heat soak, but by how much I dont know

Trentt
15th June 2013, 01:17 PM
what turbo did you get installed and did you change the intake?

Has 181hp now and 440nm... Drives like a different car! Worth every penny... When new intercooler goes on will be taking it to 600nm +

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

nissannewby
15th June 2013, 04:49 PM
I'd be guessing with those figures a UFI TD05 18 G

florix
16th June 2013, 08:34 PM
where do i get one of them? anywhere near gold coast area?

nissannewby
16th June 2013, 08:37 PM
You can get them through United Fuel Injection in WA or Diesel Central in Rockhampton can supply them as well.

florix
16th June 2013, 09:10 PM
yeah i thought so so there isnt anywhere closer hey

florix
16th June 2013, 09:11 PM
not a big fan of shipping an item with that amount of money attached

nissannewby
16th June 2013, 09:20 PM
Diesel central pack their items incredibly well mate (have seen it first hand). They ship all over the country and I'm yet to hear/read a bad thing about them.